Noir Alley

jameselliot

Re: Noir Alley

Post by jameselliot »

I skipped both Noir Alleys the past two weeks and watched some longtime favorites. One of them was Phantom Lady. Ella Raines was some good looking dame, see? The crazed scene with Raines and Elisha Cook Jr at the jam session is one of the greatest moments in film noir history. Fantastic camera movement, editing and lighting.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

The dialogue in Soft Touch worked too. It worked because both actors were able to pull that smarty pants repertoire off without a hitch and it didn’t seem smarty pants at all, it seemed natural and spontaneous. Ford has a seductive voice. Something about it, probably the timing, the rhythm, phrasing, you can’t put your finger on it, but that’s what art is right??? You can’t put your finger on it!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I think it's wise that Eddie is taking a 2 week hiatus, judging by his Dec. offerings. I'm getting the feeling this may be the last season of first run Noir Alley. Mr. Soft Touch? I gave up on it once one of the Bowery Boys showed up! Could see where this was going. Will Pocketful of Miracles be next? Some hoods in that one too! I turned it off and read a book.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Mr. Soft Touch worked because of a lot of factors coming together. And not every movie screened on Noir Alley is going to be a "classic" noir - there aren't enough of them.
I think Eddie is showing movies that he has said do not fit the standard definition of noir, but have enough elements to make them worth showing.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: December 19th, 2022, 12:37 pm I think Eddie is showing movies that he has said do not fit the standard definition of noir, but have enough elements to make them worth showing.
So, should Noir Alley start showing hybrid-Noir films? Should Noir westerns (e.g., Blood on the Moon), Noir comedies (e.g., My Favorite Brunette), Noir horror films (e.g., The Seventh Victim), and Noir musicals (e.g., Blues in the Night) be tossed into the mix of Noir Alley movies? Should Noir Alley start expanding its limited selection of movies?

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

EP Millstone wrote: December 19th, 2022, 1:06 pm
ElCid wrote: December 19th, 2022, 12:37 pm I think Eddie is showing movies that he has said do not fit the standard definition of noir, but have enough elements to make them worth showing.
So, should Noir Alley start showing hybrid-Noir films? Should Noir westerns (e.g., Blood on the Moon), Noir comedies (e.g., My Favorite Brunette), Noir horror films (e.g., The Seventh Victim), and Noir musicals (e.g., Blues in the Night) be tossed into the mix of Noir Alley movies? Should Noir Alley start expanding its limited selection of movies?

LIKE! Yes I’m all for that, but a noir musical comedy might be hard to find. Blues in the Night I gotta check out. I do agree though that Noir Alley should expand a bit. I mentioned In Cold Blood earlier. Momento was mentioned. There’s plenty of films that we all would enjoy. There’s that one dope movie where the mom gets addicted to speed when she answers the diet advertisement on television and the chair she sits in to watch the television and the refrigerator shake all over the place. Her son is even more a dope addict. Now we have to veto movies like The Man With Golden Arm which appear to be noir related but are just bad movies
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: December 19th, 2022, 2:27 pm LIKE! Yes I’m all for that, but a noir musical comedy might be hard to find. Blues in the Night I gotta check out . . .
Blues in the Night

ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Maybe we should just leave it up to Eddie to decide what to show and to explain if it does not definitively fit the noir definition, but why he thinks it should be shown. After all there are only so many noirs out there and not all are available to TCM. Then there are those who complain about repeats.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:09 pm Maybe we should just leave it up to Eddie to decide what to show and to explain if it does not definitively fit the noir definition, but why he thinks it should be shown.
Oh, I don't think that we have to "worry" about Eddie Muller being influenced by the discussions in this forum . . . which is a "round table" for opining, supposing, "castle building," and "shooting the breeze."

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

As if he ever did on the TCM boards......
laffite

Post by laffite »

ElCid wrote: December 18th, 2022, 12:17 pm Mr. Soft Touch was better than I remembered. Thought it was interesting that the author just kept rewriting the same plot and the studios kept on buying them. But it worked well. Nice bit of Christmas noir.
Has anyone read Glenn Ford's wiki page. WOW!!! Don't forget the Personal section. WOW!!! Glenn Ford was married four times. They were fairly short each and were not friends afterwards. But look at his extracurricular activities. WOW!!!

:smiley_heartkiss:
Mona
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

You have to separate the art from the artist, or something like that. But nobody can really do it. Sure I want to know all about the actors but what I really want is to see them act.
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

I'd love to see more foreign noirs on the Alley except most viewers don't seem to get past the captions, based on the comments I've read. I've found lots of very good French, British, Japanese and German noirs elsewhere.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jameselliot wrote: December 19th, 2022, 11:48 pm I'd love to see more foreign noirs on the Alley except most viewers don't seem to get past the captions, based on the comments I've read. I've found lots of very good French, British, Japanese and German noirs elsewhere.
Mona