Noir Alley

Dargo

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: May 8th, 2023, 4:00 pm
...they gave her a brief death scene, maybe to soften things up a bit.
Yep, and maybe to also drive home the point that she had indeed fallen in love with ol' Wendell.

OH, and regarding actress Kasey Rogers here...

I don't think anyone in this thread nor even Eddie during his wraparound mentioned the first thing that always pops into my head whenever I see her in something. This being her role in the '60s prime time TV soap 'Peyton Place'.

(...she played Barbara Parkins' mother in that series during its first few seasons)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I don't remember her in that, but I do remember her on Bewitched as the replacement Louise Tate! (the original actress left the show after a couple seasons). I liked the original better.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: May 8th, 2023, 5:32 pm I don't remember her in that, but I do remember her on Bewitched as the replacement Louise Tate! (the original actress left the show after a couple seasons). I liked the original better.
Yeah, well, don't get me started on that whole Dick York/Dick Sargent thing here EITHER, Hibi!

(...'cause as I think we ALL know, when that second "Darrin" took over the role, well, I'm sure you've heard the term "jump the shark" before, now haven't you?!) ;)

LOL
Andree

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: May 8th, 2023, 4:25 pm

Yep, and maybe to also drive home the point that she had indeed fallen in love with ol' Wendell.

I don't think anyone in this thread nor even Eddie during his wraparound mentioned the first thing that always pops into my head whenever I see her in something. This being her role in the '60s prime time TV soap 'Peyton Place'.

(...she played Barbara Parkins' mother in that series during its first few seasons)
I found it hard to figure out who she was really in love with, Gentleman Wendell or Tough Guy Tony. Guess it didn't matter
as the dead tell no tales. I never watched Peyton Place, but I did watch Bewitched. I don't know about acting, but
I thought she was better looking than the first Mrs. Tate. I believe the first actress got into some kind of spat with the producers
and was replaced. I certainly didn't recognize her as the same actress who was in Strangers on a Train 15 years before.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Gotta love those 60's flips.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: May 8th, 2023, 5:50 pm
Hibi wrote: May 8th, 2023, 5:32 pm I don't remember her in that, but I do remember her on Bewitched as the replacement Louise Tate! (the original actress left the show after a couple seasons). I liked the original better.
Yeah, well, don't get me started on that whole Dick York/Dick Sargent thing here EITHER, Hibi!

(...'cause as I think we ALL know, when that second "Darrin" took over the role, well, I'm sure you've heard the term "jump the shark" before, now haven't you?!) ;)

LOL
:D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 8th, 2023, 6:55 pm

I found it hard to figure out who she was really in love with, Gentleman Wendell or Tough Guy Tony. Guess it didn't matter
as the dead tell no tales. I never watched Peyton Place, but I did watch Bewitched. I don't know about acting, but
I thought she was better looking than the first Mrs. Tate. I believe the first actress got into some kind of spat with the producers
and was replaced. I certainly didn't recognize her as the same actress who was in Strangers on a Train 15 years before.
There was some sort of battle between Director Asher and the series creator (Danny Arnold I think it was) and he left. Irene Vernon (Louise) left at the same time. They made Rogers wear a dark wig so she'd look like the old Louise. The character changed too. She was played more as a ditz, where the original had some bite to her. Why I didn't care for Rogers that much. Then they replaced Dick York and the series really went downhill.........

Come to think of it, the Gladys replacement wasn't as good either!
Last edited by Hibi on May 9th, 2023, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Hibi wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:53 am
Andree wrote: May 8th, 2023, 6:55 pm

There was some sort of battle between Director Asher and the series creator (Danny Arnold I think it was) and he left. Irene Vernon (Louise) left at the same time. They made her wear a dark wig so she'd look like the old Louise. The character changed too. She was played more as a ditz, where the original had some bite to her. Why I didn't care for Rogers that much. Then they replaced Dick York and the series really went downhill.........

Sol Saks was credited as the "creator" of BEWITCHED even though he only wrote the script for the pilot episode and had no other involvement after that task. This was a sticking point for William Asher, who directed most of the episodes (131 of the 254 episodes) and ultimately was given the title of producer in the fourth season but was heavily involved in the production before then.

Danny Arnold was the producer for the first season and a writer for the show and was friends with Irene Vernon, who originated the role of Louise Tate. Supposedly Irene Vernon was pressured to leave BEWITCHED by William Asher and Elizabeth Montgomery after Danny Arnold left the series. The official story was that she left because her husband was ill.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Thanks for clarifying! I knew it had something to do with Danny Arnold.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:53 am

There was some sort of battle between Director Asher and the series creator (Danny Arnold I think it was) and he left. Irene Vernon (Louise) left at the same time. They made Rogers wear a dark wig so she'd look like the old Louise. The character changed too. She was played more as a ditz, where the original had some bite to her. Why I didn't care for Rogers that much. Then they replaced Dick York and the series really went downhill.........

Yes, Holden has covered the basics. Show biz can be a tough biz. Though she was more of a ditz she still had her fair
share of disagreements with Larry. Now when I think of Larry Tate I can't help thinking of Mad Men, and I see
Larry as an older, less sophisticated version of Don Draper. IIRC, Alice Pearce knew she had cancer but didn't
tell anyone connected to the show, which was probably a good idea on her part. She was so out there nutty as Gladys
that nobody could really replace her. Dick Sargent gave it the old college try, but it just wasn't the same. FETV
took Bewitched off the schedule for a few months, but now it's back on again in the afternoon.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Yes, Alice kept it a secret as she didn't want to lose the part. I think she already had cancer before she started filming. She wore wigs in the show. I don't think anyone knew what was going on with her. Sad. Of course they awarded her an Emmy posthumously as they did Marion Lorne as Aunt Clara.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Yes, I believe she did know about it before the show began filming. I can't really blame her for keeping it a secret.
George Tobias' role was sort of a one trick pony thing, but I always got a kick out of him as calm and collected Abner.
I can't think of any other sitcom character who spent so much time on the couch reading the newspaper.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Wow actually sounds like an inordinate amount of tragedy with the Bewitched set of charactors!
Today you'd get theories about a Bewitched Pain & Death "Curse" from the internet crazies.

It's just life....good & bad things happen to us all.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 9th, 2023, 5:23 pm Yes, I believe she did know about it before the show began filming. I can't really blame her for keeping it a secret.
George Tobias' role was sort of a one trick pony thing, but I always got a kick out of him as calm and collected Abner.
I can't think of any other sitcom character who spent so much time on the couch reading the newspaper.
LOL. They both had small parts playing the same sort of couple as Doris Day's neighbors in The Glass Bottom Boat. Am sure Bewitched was the reason they were cast.