Noir Alley

Hibi

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

TikiSoo wrote: May 10th, 2023, 5:15 am Wow actually sounds like an inordinate amount of tragedy with the Bewitched set of charactors!
Today you'd get theories about a Bewitched Pain & Death "Curse" from the internet crazies.

It's just life....good & bad things happen to us all.
Actually there have been articles about the Bewitched "curse" over the years. Liz Montgomery died young too (relatively)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Hibi wrote: May 10th, 2023, 9:31 am
Andree wrote: May 9th, 2023, 5:23 pm Yes, I believe she did know about it before the show began filming. I can't really blame her for keeping it a secret.
George Tobias' role was sort of a one trick pony thing, but I always got a kick out of him as calm and collected Abner.
I can't think of any other sitcom character who spent so much time on the couch reading the newspaper.
LOL. They both had small parts playing the same sort of couple as Doris Day's neighbors in The Glass Bottom Boat. Am sure Bewitched was the reason they were cast.
Paul Lynde (Uncle Arthur) also was in THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT. The name of his character was Homer Cripps

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

DYING!!!!!!!!!!!! Some hilarious scenes in that film!
Andree

Post by Andree »

LOL. They both had small parts playing the same sort of couple as Doris Day's neighbors in The Glass Bottom Boat. Am sure Bewitched was the reason they were cast.
Okay, I haven't seen that one. Bewitched "curse?" Well maybe they shouldn't have done that location shooting near the
Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant in Plymouth, Mass.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 10th, 2023, 3:46 pm

Okay, I haven't seen that one. Bewitched "curse?" Well maybe they shouldn't have done that location shooting near the
Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant in Plymouth, Mass.
:D
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Andree wrote: May 9th, 2023, 3:26 pm
Hibi wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:53 am

There was some sort of battle between Director Asher and the series creator (Danny Arnold I think it was) and he left. Irene Vernon (Louise) left at the same time. They made Rogers wear a dark wig so she'd look like the old Louise. The character changed too. She was played more as a ditz, where the original had some bite to her. Why I didn't care for Rogers that much. Then they replaced Dick York and the series really went downhill.........

Come to think of it, the Gladys replacement wasn't as good either!
Yes, Holden has covered the basics. Show biz can be a tough biz. Though she was more of a ditz she still had her fair
share of disagreements with Larry. Now when I think of Larry Tate I can't help thinking of Mad Men, and I see
Larry as an older, less sophisticated version of Don Draper.
In multiple interviews, MAD MEN creator Matthew Weiner has said that BEWITCHED was a major inspiration for MAD MEN --- Manhattan advertising agency executive living in suburbia in the 1960s. Of course, in MAD MEN, it is the working husband (Don Draper) who is hiding a secret identity rather than the suburban housewife.
Larry Tate, president and partner of McMann and Tate, is an inspiration for Roger Sterling, partner at Sterling Cooper.
There were a few references to BEWITCHED on MAD MEN. On the Season 4 episode "Hands and Knees," Roger calls one of his contacts, and Louise answers the phone. He chats with her awhile before asking to speak with Larry. This was the episode where Don Draper gets tickets to a Beatles concert for his daughter.
Don's daughter was played by Kiernan Shipka, who would later play a teenage witch in the TV series CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA, based on the Archie Comics character.

Andree

Post by Andree »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 13th, 2023, 1:23 pm

In multiple interviews, MAD MEN creator Matthew Weiner has said that BEWITCHED was a major inspiration for MAD MEN --- Manhattan advertising agency executive living in suburbia in the 1960s. Of course, in MAD MEN, it is the working husband (Don Draper) who is hiding a secret identity rather than the suburban housewife.
Larry Tate, president and partner of McMann and Tate, is an inspiration for Roger Sterling, partner at Sterling Cooper.
There were a few references to BEWITCHED on MAD MEN. On the Season 4 episode "Hands and Knees," Roger calls one of his contacts, and Louise answers the phone. He chats with her awhile before asking to speak with Larry. This was the episode where Don Draper gets tickets to a Beatles concert for his daughter.
Don's daughter was played by Kiernan Shipka, who would later play a teenage witch in the TV series CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA, based on the Archie Comics character.

That's pretty funny. I now have to think think of Larry as a less sophisticated age contemporary of Roger.
And we saw more of Bert Cooper than we ever did of McMann. I think what makes the comparison so
much fun is that Bewitched could never hint at the things that went on in Mad Men, two
completely different times. It's not hard to imagine that Larry Tate was likely as deceptive in his
personal life as he was in his professional life. But it' hard to see Darrin Stevens, especially in his
Dick York incarnation, doing the same things Don Draper did even in one's wildest imagination. I
know some fans didn't like Betty Draper, but I always felt sorry for her being married to a jerk like
Don. Plus, she was very easy on the eyes.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Andree wrote: May 13th, 2023, 4:30 pm

That's pretty funny. I now have to think think of Larry as a less sophisticated age contemporary of Roger.
And we saw more of Bert Cooper than we ever did of McMann. I think what makes the comparison so
much fun is that Bewitched could never hint at the things that went on in Mad Men, two
completely different times. It's not hard to imagine that Larry Tate was likely as deceptive in his
personal life as he was in his professional life. But it' hard to see Darrin Stevens, especially in his
Dick York incarnation, doing the same things Don Draper did even in one's wildest imagination. I
know some fans didn't like Betty Draper, but I always felt sorry for her being married to a jerk like
Yes, Robert Morse made quite a few guest appearances as Bert Cooper on MAD MEN.
Howard McMann appeared in only two episodes of BEWITCHED and was played by a different actor each time: "Man of the Year" from Season 4 with Roland Winters as McMann and "What Makes Darrin Run?" from Season 6 with Leon Ames in the role.

In "Man of the Year," here's how Howard McMann describes his partner Larry Tate:
"Larry has a lot of good qualities. He’s hard-working. He’s not impressed by facts. He’s slippery. He lies beautifully. And he’s got a nice head of hair."

RE: Larry's possible deceptions in his personal life: In the Season 1 episode "That Was My Wife," he was impressed with Darrin when he saw him at a hotel with a brunette and thought he was getting some on the side. (It was really Samantha in a wig to spice things up a bit). But Larry becomes angry when he later thinks the brunette was Louise.

Last edited by HoldenIsHere on May 14th, 2023, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andree

Post by Andree »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 14th, 2023, 3:28 pm

Yes, Harry Morse made quite a few guest appearances as Bert Cooper on MAD MEN.
Howard McMann appeared in only two episodes of BEWITCHED and was played by a different actor each time: "Man of the Year" from Season 4 with Roland Winters as McMann and "What Makes Darrin Run?" from Season 6 with Leon Ames in the role.

In "Man of the Year," here's how Howard McMann describes his partner Larry Tate:
"Larry has a lot of good qualities. He’s hard-working. He’s not impressed by facts. He’s slippery. He lies beautifully. And he’s got a nice head of hair."

RE: Larry's possible deceptions in his personal life: In the Season 1 episode "That Was My Wife," he was impressed with Darrin when he saw him at a hotel with a brunette and thought he was getting some on the side. (It was really Samantha in a wig to spice things up a bit). But Larry becomes angry when he later thinks the brunette was Louise.

I didn't realize it was only two appearances. Either he was retired, had a sweet deal, or maybe he had something
on Larry. One wouldn't really expect Bewitched to go where Mad Men went forty years later. The latter
certainly more than made up for the former in terms of adult content. That's Robert Morse. Bert Cooper, the mystic
Orientalist, is certainly far removed from the earlier Morse, who often played the young non-mystical go getter.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Andree wrote: May 14th, 2023, 7:12 pm

Yes, Harry Morse made quite a few guest appearances as Bert Cooper on MAD MEN.

I didn't realize it was only two appearances. Either he was retired, had a sweet deal, or maybe he had something
on Larry. One wouldn't really expect Bewitched to go where Mad Men went forty years later. The latter
certainly more than made up for the former in terms of adult content. That's Robert Morse. Bert Cooper, the mystic
Orientalist, is certainly far removed from the earlier Morse, who often played the young non-mystical go getter.

Yes. Robert Morse played Bert Cooper on MAD MEN.
I corrected it.

Andree

Post by Andree »

Gentlemen, is the sun rising or setting? It doesn't matter, because the universe is eternal and we are
all united therein. Roger......Don. Om.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LOL!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: May 14th, 2023, 5:32 pm Flamingo Road was quite enjoyable again. Sydney Greenstreet makes a great villain, Zachary Scott is once again good-looking but weak, Joan Crawford has a "rode hard and put away wet" look that is right for her character, and Gladys George has a "rode even harder and put away even wetter" look that is appropriate for Lute-Mae, a wonderful name. Gladys George always makes her screen time count; I'd have liked to find out even more about Lute-Mae.
Flamingo Road is an enjoyable film. I watched it Sat night, but I'm not sure I'd want to again. I've seen it way too many times. Although Joan is a little too old for the part (despite Eddie's protestations) she is perfectly cast. And Greenstreet is a great villain. I can imagine audiences cheering when he finally gets his just desserts!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Hibi wrote: May 15th, 2023, 10:33 am

LOL!

Another thing that Howard McMann said about his partner Larry Tate:
"Deep down, he's shallow."