Noir Alley

Hibi

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

laffite wrote: March 12th, 2024, 10:08 am
Hibi wrote: March 12th, 2024, 9:00 am That doesn't sound good. Noir Alley rarely repeats anything. I was so looking forward to this weeks Noir Alley, now I'm concerned. Eddie always takes a hiatus during Oscar month so that's normal. I never really gave much thought to why Eddie was filmed on locations. His program is one of the few I almost always watch (even if I've seen the film) just to hear his comments.
...and the comments here. Probably you agree as well as others.
YES!! One of my favorite threads!
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

My concerns about TCM showing several Noir Alley repeats in April have been allayed. It appears these might be part of the TCM 30th Anniversary celebration. Late on April 13th/early on April 14th, Eddie is presenting some of an introduction he did with Robert Osborne along with a new intro for The Breaking Point, for example.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: March 14th, 2024, 2:16 pm My concerns about TCM showing several Noir Alley repeats in April have been allayed. It appears these might be part of the TCM 30th Anniversary celebration. Late on April 13th/early on April 14th, Eddie is presenting some of an introduction he did with Robert Osborne along with a new intro for The Breaking Point, for example.
Oh, that's good!
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

I really enjoyed LE SAMURAI. Foreign films usually don't excite me, but this one was so well done I'll probably watch it again. Alain Delon was fantastic. I had to really think about the ending as I was confused at first. Once I thought about the fake quote of the Samurai Code it made sense.
Anyway, I'm thrilled Eddie is back and looking forward the coming months of Noir Alley.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

I liked LE SAMOURAI better than I did the first time around, and look forward to seeing it again. It's all style without much substance, but it certainly delivers on the style. The blue-toned cinematography would have looked much more original than it does today, but the shot-making, editing, set design, and costuming are all first rate. Wonder if I could trade in my 30-year-old London Fog for Alain Delon's crisp trenchcoat?

One example of what is so good about this film: We're in the fascinating-looking room with all the bad guys in suits, and the camera pans left, apparently to show us more of the room, and the cut takes us to another left-moving pan shot of the police inspector at headquarters. This suggests storyboarding, with most, perhaps even all, of the shots pre-planned. The only thing I didn't like were the repeated cuts to the terrified bird as the baddies try to break into Delon's room.
laffite

Post by laffite »

I haven't finished Le Samourai but I may later. Just a quick comment. The beginning was terrible, Delon looks almost comical with his officious bearing. He did not achieve IMO that long and steely gaze that such a one wears. His face acting was nonexistent and I fear that he is diminished as an actor, at least for me. And the beginning was so ponderous and slow moving.

I'll try to take it up again if I can.

The color bothered me, or rather the idea of color. I made some adjustments. I went to Picture Settings on the TV and reduced the color to black and white. Reduced the sharpness. And reduced the Bright. The TV has five preset 'picture modes' and I found one suitable. There! I got it right. At least in looked like a Noir.

///
Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

kingrat wrote: March 17th, 2024, 12:39 pm ...The only thing I didn't like were the repeated cuts to the terrified bird as the baddies try to break into Delon's room.
Speaking of which KR, can you tell me what was it about the bird or the condition of its cage that had apparently tipped-off Delon to the idea that someone had been in his room and which in turn led to his search for the listening device?

(...would it have been the loose feathers?...as that's the only conclusion I can come up with here)
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

I couldn't figure that out, either. Delon's psychic connection with the bird? It was far from obvious.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Le Samourai was pretty entertaining, certainly more stylistic than many of
the older noirs. Delon isn't exactly talkative but that goes with the character's
aloofness and focus on the job. His pimping his fedora routine does get a little
tiresome. The plot itself is pretty much by the book so the visuals help. I was
wondering about Delon's reason for lodging in what a dump. I can puzzle over
a few possibilities, but who knows. Francois Perier was effective as the intrepid
cop who won't give up. One of the best sequences was the cops trying to keep
track of Delon as he maneuvers in the subway. Good thriller with a touch of the
lone wolf anti-hero. Last and least, I think Delon is better looking than both
Steve McQueen and Sean Connery. So sue me.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: March 18th, 2024, 11:22 pm ...I think Delon is better looking than both
Steve McQueen and Sean Connery. So sue me.
Well, considering I've never thought the so-called "King of Cool" was all that good looking, average in fact, AND considering Connery's forte looks-wise was more based upon his chiseled features and an aura of hyper-masculinity, AND considering that Delon was basically a "pretty boy", don't worry Andree, as I, at least, won't be consulting a lawyer about your comment here. ;)

(...in fact and while watching this film, I kept thinking to myself that Delon looked more like a kid who throughout it was playing dress-up)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

For maybe the first time in its history, I FORGOT TO WATCH NOIR ALLEY! I should be banished to the burbs! :( I remembered it was on earlier in the evening. WTH??? And I didnt remember until AFTER the Sunday showing. UGH!!!!!!!! I know there was a time or two I recorded the Sunday airing for some reason. This time I forgot both!!! I think TCM bears half the blame for putting Noir Alley on hiatus for 6 weeks! :( Hoping it turns up again at some point somewhere. :( There've been a few times I CHOSE not to watch (either I'd seen the film too many times or didn't like it that much) I think this is the only time I forgot! Don't stone me!
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Delon's twilight years are not peaceful ones, unfortunately. His children are squabbling over everything under the sun, including how to care for their father, who hasn't been seen in public in several years, after a stroke. Also in the mix is a former housekeeper/carer (and rumored lover), who filed a lawsuit against the children for her eviction from Delon's home. And like a scene out of Sunset Blvd., he lives in a decaying mansion on an estate in a wooded rural area outside of Paris. Just a few weeks ago, his home was searched by police because he was found to have 72 firearms and 3,000 rounds of ammunition, without a permit. Police seized the guns and ammunition.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Hibi wrote: March 19th, 2024, 8:43 am For maybe the first time in its history, I FORGOT TO WATCH NOIR ALLEY! I should be banished to the burbs! :( I remembered it was on earlier in the evening. WTH??? And I didnt remember until AFTER the Sunday showing. UGH!!!!!!!! I know there was a time or two I recorded the Sunday airing for some reason. This time I forgot both!!! I think TCM bears half the blame for putting Noir Alley on hiatus for 6 weeks! :( Hoping it turns up again at some point somewhere. :( There've been a few times I CHOSE not to watch (either I'd seen the film too many times or didn't like it that much) I think this is the only time I forgot! Don't stone me!
I'm not sure why it isn't listed on the TCM web site, but if you have WatchTCM you can go to the following link and watch Le Samourai, complete with Eddie's wrap-arounds:

https://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/titles/76561

The wrap-arounds have also been posted on YouTube if you want to go straight to those.

Le Samourai is supposed to be available at that link until April 15, but who knows if TCM will take it down if people start to watch it.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: March 19th, 2024, 12:58 pm
Hibi wrote: March 19th, 2024, 8:43 am For maybe the first time in its history, I FORGOT TO WATCH NOIR ALLEY! I should be banished to the burbs! :( I remembered it was on earlier in the evening. WTH??? And I didnt remember until AFTER the Sunday showing. UGH!!!!!!!! I know there was a time or two I recorded the Sunday airing for some reason. This time I forgot both!!! I think TCM bears half the blame for putting Noir Alley on hiatus for 6 weeks! :( Hoping it turns up again at some point somewhere. :( There've been a few times I CHOSE not to watch (either I'd seen the film too many times or didn't like it that much) I think this is the only time I forgot! Don't stone me!
I'm not sure why it isn't listed on the TCM web site, but if you have WatchTCM you can go to the following link and watch Le Samourai, complete with Eddie's wrap-arounds:

https://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/titles/76561

Sadly I don't have WatchTCM. Oh well.

The wrap-arounds have also been posted on YouTube if you want to go straight to those.

Le Samourai is supposed to be available at that link until April 15, but who knows if TCM will take it down if people start to watch it.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Hibi wrote: March 19th, 2024, 2:54 pm Sadly I don't have WatchTCM. Oh well.
Le Samourai is also currently available on MAX streaming, and there are $3.99 rentals on several services.

Plus the Criterion Channel has a 7-day free trial if one is so inclined:

https://www.criterionchannel.com/checko ... e/purchase

Banishment and stoning can be avoided.