I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Sepiatone

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Sepiatone »

Intrepid37 wrote: May 20th, 2023, 12:34 pm

It's astonishing how sensitive some people can be. If some here had experienced the volume of hatred and vindictive insults that I've had to face in times passed, they'd melt like Margaret Hamilton.
Same here. And on other forums where I endured such abuse unprovoked.

Sepiatone
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Masha wrote: May 20th, 2023, 2:33 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: May 20th, 2023, 2:13 pm Did anyone look at last week's SILENT SUNDAY NIGHT ? The film was a restored film that had been considered lost, I think the year was 1923 perhaps 1922. I am fairly certain that WILLIAM POWELL had a very early part in the film as a villain. Also making an appearance was HARPO MARX! The principals were actors whose names I was not familiar with... I poked around IMDB but found nothing.
Could it have been: Too Many Kisses (1925)?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016439/?r ... 2520(1925)
Nope; too late. Thanks for your response.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Intrepid37 wrote: May 20th, 2023, 12:34 pm
Sepiatone wrote: May 20th, 2023, 11:31 am Man. Had to do some searching to find which quip Intrepid was referring to.

And sure. It was pretty mild. And never intended to seriously offend. He just made it sound that he had sequestered himself indoors for hours to watch all that footage I couldn't resist the rib. All meant with a wink and a nudge. Just as in the other forum Intrepid, I made a somewhat sardonic reference to your "Jukebox" postings as being from the "Land of Bazooka Joe!" ;) Just having fun.
It's astonishing how sensitive some people can be. If some here had experienced the volume of hatred and vindictive insults that I've had to face in times passed, they'd melt like Margaret Hamilton.
He doesn’t do it because he is sensitive. He does it for all the posters afterwards who tell him how special he is. He does it for the azz pats.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

LostHorizons wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 7:41 am He doesn’t do it because he is sensitive. He does it for all the posters afterwards who tell him how special he is. He does it for the azz pats.
But he quit posting over what pretty much anybody would consider a nothing comment. That doesn't strike you as "sensitive" - overly even?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Intrepid37 wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 10:09 am
LostHorizons wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 7:41 am He doesn’t do it because he is sensitive. He does it for all the posters afterwards who tell him how special he is. He does it for the azz pats.
But he quit posting over what pretty much anybody would consider a nothing comment. That doesn't strike you as "sensitive" - overly even?
Intrepid, who were you on the TCM Board? You refer to the "volume of hatred and vindictive insults" you've had to endure, so I just want the information for context.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Pm'd you, Swithin.
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

Allhallowsday wrote: May 20th, 2023, 2:13 pm Did anyone look at last week's SILENT SUNDAY NIGHT ? The film was a restored film that had been considered lost, I think the year was 1923 perhaps 1922. I am fairly certain that WILLIAM POWELL had a very early part in the film as a villain. Also making an appearance was HARPO MARX! The principals were actors whose names I was not familiar with... I poked around IMDB but found nothing.
SSN showed two features, The First Degree (1923) and Too Many Kisses (1925). I had seen TMK previously, so I only watched TFD. Per the IMDB record (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0014042/), it didn't star anyone I recognized. I'm happy to see once-lost films reemerge, but this one was no ground-breaker.

William Powell and Harpo Marx had supporting parts in TMK. And my TIVO recording lumped the two films together in a 2-hour block. I don't know who was at fault but this was disappointing.
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

j.lunatic wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 11:29 am ...SSN showed two features, The First Degree (1923) and Too Many Kisses (1925). I had seen TMK previously, so I only watched TFD. Per the IMDB record (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0014042/), it didn't star anyone I recognized. I'm happy to see once-lost films reemerge, but this one was no ground-breaker.

William Powell and Harpo Marx had supporting parts in TMK. And my TIVO recording lumped the two films together in a 2-hour block. I don't know who was at fault but this was disappointing.
I believe it was THE FIRST DEGREE. Thank you!
Grumpytoad

Post by Grumpytoad »

I see this one recently came up in Spoilers. Here goes anyway:

Obsession (1949)
Infidelity and the reactions to it has to be a standard plot in motion pictures.The angle here is a cop's unlikely assistant in solving a crime.

Robert Newton as a doctor, Sally Gray as his wife, and Phil Brown as her male friend.

Theres a canine too. Decent little actor.

The doctor plans a perfect crime.

Enjoyed the plot, the creation of the crime was just believable enough to keep the movie interesting. Each of the three lead characters were very different in personality, which made each ones reaction to their situation fun to watch.

Good performances from all actors. Plot nicely resolved.

My main take away from this film was that it was simply good. No flaws, really. A nice effort by all involved.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Swithin wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 10:47 am Intrepid, who were you on the TCM Board? You refer to the "volume of hatred and vindictive insults" you've had to endure, so I just want the information for context.
Oh c'mon...although name changed a few times at TCM, ID should be obvious.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

I suspect he will be back and I am positive he is still reading.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

LostHorizons wrote: May 24th, 2023, 7:04 am
I suspect he will be back and I am positive he is still reading.
Knowing Larry's political leanings and that he lived in Florida, he is likely on the move to another state and hasn't set up his Internet connection.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

COMING HOME (1978) was on TCM last night. I hadn't looked at it since it was new (saw it on cable TV over 40 years ago)!
I had forgotten about the stir the lovemaking scene had initiated. It is still impressive and I give JANE FONDA a lot of credit, because it was a bold scene, even now! JON VOIGHT and BRUCE DERN also do a great job!
Also, looking at the film reminded me it was the reason I bought THE ROLLING STONES Flowers album...