I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 30th, 2024, 8:23 am oh wow, I didn't know they ever showed GERTIE on the show (PERRY MASON)
I always thought she was a "MARIS"- shows you what happens when you only have access to syndication.

I always pictured GERTIE as working out of THE BROOM CLOSET and looking more or less like this:

Or Adele, Sheriff Metzger's wife on Murder, She Wrote!!! I didn't either, but now that I think of it, I think I did see Gertie once briefly. Usually it's just Della buzzing her on the intercom! But according to Andree she was on 17 times!! Hope she had other income coming in....
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 30th, 2024, 8:25 am (she is of course chained to the table and DELLA pays her in cigarette nubs, of which there are plenty)

EDIT: and yeah, she gets high on the correction fluid- who THE HELL are YOU to JUDGE?
LMREO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone lights up on this show! Did Della ever puff? I don't remember her smoking.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 30th, 2024, 9:17 am
Lorna wrote: April 30th, 2024, 8:25 am (she is of course chained to the table and DELLA pays her in cigarette nubs, of which there are plenty)

EDIT: and yeah, she gets high on the correction fluid- who THE HELL are YOU to JUDGE?
LMREO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone lights up on this show! Did Della ever puff? I don't remember her smoking.
I'm reasonably sure DELLA smoked here and there in episodes and JUDGING FROM HER VOICE, so did BARBARA HALE in real life- from about (I'd say) AGE 8 up to the filming of the show.

She's HUSKY.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

she makes BARBARA STANWYCK sound downright DULCET-TONED in comparison.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

i was always bummed we never got to see ADELE.
Would've been an EPIC GUEST ARC for MARY WURONOV**.

**Who, yes, I know- appeared in the season 2 episode JESSICA BEHIND BARS.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Lorna wrote: April 30th, 2024, 8:23 am oh wow, I didn't know they ever showed GERTIE on the show (PERRY MASON)
I always thought she was a "MARIS"- shows you what happens when you only have access to syndication.

I always pictured GERTIE as working out of THE BROOM CLOSET and looking more or less like this:

Gertie was in one of the earliest episodes of the series. In the books, Gertie is a gum-chewing gal who reads movie magazines and swoons over the good-looking men.

A shout-out to Alice Drummond, whose picture you posted here. She got stuck playing nosy neighbors with New Yawk accents and at least got the nice supporting role in AWAKENINGS. She had played an intelligent educated woman with a normal accent in WHERE THE HEART IS. Alice was smart and talented and underutilized, like many actors.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Collectors (2000) Youtube 6/10

A documentary about collectors of art work by serial killers.

I saw this when first released and I wanted to revisit it. It's at times disturbing look at a very unusual hobby. It is short (78 min) so it does not wear out it's welcome. It focuses on two guys who collect and sell art works by killers like John Wayne Gacy and Wayne Henley who was an accomplice of killer Dean Corll. Corll killed dozens of young men in the 1970s, Henley helped get the boys into Corll's clutches, Henley later killed Corll.
There are some interviews with families of the crime victims and Henley's mother.
The most striking scene is the last, taking place in an art gallery showing Henley's work. A man who is offended by this buys a sketch of a nude person shown from behind. He takes the picture into the parking lot and sets fire to it. One of the collectors picks up the ashes as a "souvenir".
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 30th, 2024, 9:26 am
Hibi wrote: April 30th, 2024, 9:17 am

I'm reasonably sure DELLA smoked here and there in episodes and JUDGING FROM HER VOICE, so did BARBARA HALE in real life- from about (I'd say) AGE 8 up to the filming of the show.

She's HUSKY.
LOL! I've always liked her voice. Kind of sultry but demure at the same time.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 30th, 2024, 9:28 am i was always bummed we never got to see ADELE.

LOL! I just saw JESSICA BEHIND BARS over the wknd! Which role did she play? I always kept hoping Adele would put in an appearance before the show ended, but it was not to be! It came to be a running joke, I guess they wanted to keep it that way.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: April 30th, 2024, 10:10 am

Gertie was in one of the earliest episodes of the series. In the books, Gertie is a gum-chewing gal who reads movie magazines and swoons over the good-looking men.

A shout-out to Alice Drummond, whose picture you posted here. She got stuck playing nosy neighbors with New Yawk accents and at least got the nice supporting role in AWAKENINGS. She had played an intelligent educated woman with a normal accent in WHERE THE HEART IS. Alice was smart and talented and underutilized, like many actors.
It's too bad they didn't portray her like that in the series or give her more to do. But I guess they had enough going on in the show.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 30th, 2024, 11:22 am
Lorna wrote: April 30th, 2024, 9:28 am i was always bummed we never got to see ADELE.

LOL! I just saw JESSICA BEHIND BARS over the wknd! Which role did [MARY WURONOV] play?

ONE OF THE GUARDS, I mean, c'mon, that's spot-on casting.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THE ONLY PIC I COULD FIND OF HER IN THE PART ONLINE HAS GERMAN (?) SUBTITLES BUT HERE YOU GO:

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 30th, 2024, 1:13 pm
Hibi wrote: April 30th, 2024, 11:22 am

LOL! I just saw JESSICA BEHIND BARS over the wknd! Which role did [MARY WURONOV] play?

ONE OF THE GUARDS, I mean, c'mon, that's spot-on casting.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THE ONLY PIC I COULD FIND OF HER IN THE PART ONLINE HAS GERMAN (?) SUBTITLES BUT HERE YOU GO:

OH, HER!!!!!!!! Yeah, type casting! Thanks.

I bet she sounds great in German, LOL.
Last edited by Hibi on April 30th, 2024, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Rewatched a large portion of Victor/Victoria last night. Still holds up very well, and it is one of Blake Edwards' finest hours. Robert Preston and Lesley Ann Warren should have won the supporting Oscars that year.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 30th, 2024, 1:30 pm Rewatched a large portion of Victor/Victoria last night. Still holds up very well, and it is one of Blake Edwards' finest hours. Robert Preston and Lesley Ann Warren should have won the supporting Oscars that year.
I watched the whole thing. A lot happens in a film that is just 2 hours and 13 minutes. I know very little about Lesley Ann Warren. I love her performance of "Chicago, Illinois." I believe Robert Preston was even better in Victor/Victoria than The Music Man. Then again, this is my favorite movie!
The movie is classic Blake Edwards. I could watch it again tonight.
I did record it but also watched live.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 29th, 2024, 5:19 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 12th, 2024, 2:00 am
CinemaInternational wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:51 pm

Let's see. I was too young to have seen it at the time, but I felt that way when I caught up with American Beauty.

I am totally with you on AMERICAN BEAUTY.
I didn't see it when it was in theaters, but when I did see it, I was like YUCK!
I gave the movie a half star on Letterboxd.
Good for you for giving it half a star on Letterboxd. I think I gave it 1 and a half, mostly because I did like Annette Bening's perfromance in spite of the rest. I've always been lousy at rating films though, rating too high, etc. I hope you don't mind, but I went searching for you on Letterboxd (among all the people who gave American Beauty half a star), and I think I gave you a follow over there just now. I hope you don't mind (Meanwhile my account over there is a mess because there are hundreds of films I still have to track down and log, since I got out of the habit last year)
I don't mind the follow on Letterboxd at all. I followed you as well and posted a comment on one of your reviews.
I had an earlier account there, but it was linked to an email address I no longer have and I kind of wanted to start fresh anyway.
I also tend to have high ratings, probably because I mostly rate movies that I like (so 4 or 5 star ratings).
AMERICAN BEAUTY was definitely an exception.
I watched that one expecting to love it because of Sam Menes's stage work (he directed the revivals of CABARET and OLIVER! in the 1990s and I love those cast recordings).
But I really, really *hated* AMERICAN BEAUTY, probably more than I would have if I wasn't expecting to like it.