I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Masha

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Masha »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:25 pm It has a reputation as being possibly the worst movie ever made. I just had to see it.

But I fell asleep last night before 2 - and I missed it!

I'm really bummed about that.
https://pluto.tv/en/search/details/movi ... b0713a8e97
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Thanks for the link, Masha
Masha

Post by Masha »

Llamageddon (2015)

A collision with the International Space Station causes an interstellar horse trailer to crash. The llama with glowing-red-eyes inside it survives. The people he meets do not.

I found this movie to be quite inspirational. It clearly shows that any person with a vision, a Wal-Mart bargain-bin camera and a budget comprised solely of the change found in a discarded sofa can become a filmmaker!

The star of the movie is the only cast member with any talent for acting. It is sad to say that this is Louie The Llama's only film credit. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm10428618/?ref_=tt_cl_t_1

Movies of this type can be a true gem with bonkers off-the-wall humour and moments of surreal brilliance. I am sorry to say that this movie is part of the two hundred and fifty tons of useless rock which must be mined to find a single diamond.

4.2/26

I am not particularly sorry to say that availability is currently limited to subscribers of: Amazon Prime Video. All that it costs to subscribers is an hour of their time.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

An exploration of TV in general led me into a subsection of television that isn't always brought up with affection : the TV Movie. It seems as though YouTube has quite a few of those movies of the week from decades back, and out of curiosity, I decided to take a look at one that had some pretty good looking pedigree.

This TV film was a somber drama called The Shadow Box, based on a Pulitzer and Tony award winning play, which initially aired on ABC in December of 1980. It could be best described as a series of vignettes and monologues involving reactions to life and mortality among three terminal cancer patients (bisexual bon vivant Christopher Plummer, quiet James Broderick, and angry and somewhat forgetful Sylvia Sidney) and their loved ones (Plummer's current male lover and his hard-living ex-wife, Joanne Woodward, Broderick's frantic wife, Valerie Harper, and son, and Sidney's long-suffering daughter and caretaker, Melinda Dillon). I was a bit surprised that the story ends before any of the patients passes away, but that maybe makes it even more unique. It is by its very nature stagy, but with the quality of the dialogue and acting level, it doesn't matter as much. The performances are all strong (what else could be expected with that cast?), but Melinda Dillon comes through with the most affecting performance, and the whole enterprise is sensitively directed by Paul Newman.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Many movies made for TV seemed like dreck to me (disease of the week ones didn't go over well with me) but I blame much of that on the standards and practices of the broadcast networks. Once the cable networks had come along with their far more liberal standards, the broadcast networks pretty much had to get out of the business.

But I think that the large volume of "movies of the week" are a kind of treasure trove for fans of the many actors who had significant career extensions because of their existence. Some made for TV movies were quite good - and many were no worse than what were seen in theaters.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 20th, 2023, 10:38 am Many movies made for TV seemed like dreck to me (disease of the week ones didn't go over well with me) but I blame much of that on the standards and practices of the broadcast networks. Once the cable networks had come along with their far more liberal standards, the broadcast networks pretty much had to get out of the business.

But I think that the large volume of "movies of the week" are a kind of treasure trove for fans of the many actors who had significant career extensions because of their existence. Some made for TV movies were quite good - and many were no worse than what were seen in theaters.
Ah, See, Intrepid.... There ARE some things we can get eye-to-eye on. I too, have seen my share of TV movies that I thought were good and too many more that were God awful. And of course, the brightest standout of them to this very day remains DUEL starring Dennis Weaver. And that's 52 years old now!

Now, I don't "stream" so I know there's a lot of "Straight -to-streaming" movies I miss out on. Whether or not any of them are any good or pure crap I can only surmise from the people I know who do bother with streaming. And some of them have pretty piss poor tastes in movies as it is.

Sepiatone
Masha

Post by Masha »

One of my favorite movies is a made-for-television movie: Guilty Conscience(1985). The script and leads are excellent. It is sad to say that the production values are not of the highest standard. Or even middle-of-the-road standard. The lack of a good print available for streaming does not help matters.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

One TV movie still ranks high in my memory: The Dephi Bureau (1972). Apparently it was the pilot for a short lived series. Actually I only remember 2 things about it:

1) a scene with Lucille Benson where she pulls a pie straight out of the oven and hands a piece to the star (Laurence Luckinbill) who treats it like a hot potato. She takes a bite and mutters something like "Damn. It's already cold." Actually don't remember him - just her. Years later it dawned on me that she was the same actress I enjoyed in the flying part of a favorite movie, Silver Streak (1976).

2) Segments of the movie were separated by pieces of a growing limerick. I saw this as a movie, so guess those originally proceeded the commercial breaks.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

One I remember enjoying more than usual was called In Love with an Older Woman (1982) in which a not quite 30 John Ritter falls in love with a middle aged woman. Very touching, quite romantic.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

CinemaInternational wrote: June 20th, 2023, 8:33 am An exploration of TV in general led me into a subsection of television that isn't always brought up with affection : the TV Movie. It seems as though YouTube has quite a few of those movies of the week from decades back...
There are many wonderful Made-for-TV movies often with challenging subject matter. BORN INNOCENT ... THAT CERTAIN SUMMER ... DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK ... BAD RONALD ...

My favorite vampire movie was made for TV by the great DAN CURTIS : THE NIGHT STALKER (1972)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Allhallowsday wrote: June 20th, 2023, 8:39 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: June 20th, 2023, 8:33 am An exploration of TV in general led me into a subsection of television that isn't always brought up with affection : the TV Movie. It seems as though YouTube has quite a few of those movies of the week from decades back...
There are many wonderful Made-for-TV movies often with challenging subject matter. BORN INNOCENT ... THAT CERTAIN SUMMER ... DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK ... BAD RONALD ...

My favorite vampire movie was made for TV by the great DAN CURTIS : THE NIGHT STALKER (1972)
I saw The Night Stalker when it was shown initially in '72. It was awesome! And everyone was talking about it the next day.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE NIGHT STALKER premiered in January of 1972 and had a follow-up THE NIGHT STRANGLER (1973) which was fun, but not nearly as powerful. The success of both lead to the crappy 1 season series.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Allhallowsday wrote: June 20th, 2023, 9:46 pm THE NIGHT STALKER premiered in January of 1972 and had a follow-up THE NIGHT STRANGLER (1973) which was fun, but not nearly as powerful. The success of both lead to the crappy 1 season series.
Best role McGavin ever had. Stalker (the movie) is his greatest performance.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

I really enjoy DARREN McGAVIN in A CHRISTMAS STORY ...