Awards for 2022 movies

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Feinberg

Re: Awards for 2022 movies

Post by Feinberg »

RRR, while sporting some dazzling sp fx is a completely ridiculous OTT heavy-handed piece of cliched comic book moustache-twirling nonsense. I find it hard to believe that any 'intelligent' critic form New York would fail to see that, but hey, I am now a registered old geezer.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Feinberg wrote: December 9th, 2022, 6:27 am RRR, while sporting some dazzling sp fx is a completely ridiculous OTT heavy-handed piece of cliched comic book moustache-twirling nonsense. I find it hard to believe that any 'intelligent' critic form New York would fail to see that, but hey, I am now a registered old geezer.
hadn't heard of 'RRR' before, so had to google it.....& found this @ wiki

"Calling RRR "bigger than Ben-Hur," Deadline Hollywood's Stephanie Bunbury wrote: "RRR is one action crescendo after another, never dull but not exhausting either."[311] In her review for Polygon, Katie Rife stated: "RRR is a busy movie, full of kinetic camerawork, bustling crowd scenes, elaborate set design, expensive-looking CGI, and loud sound effects."[312] Siddhant Adlakha of IndieWire praised Rajamouli's work, M. M. Keeravani's music and acting performances of lead actors. He further wrote that RRR outshines even the director's previous venture Baahubali.[313]

Reviewing the film for The Austin Chronicle, Josh Hurtado called RRR a "bromantic action nirvana." Hurtado stated that Rajamouli turned a "patriotic fantasy" into an "incredibly entertaining reality for fans of big action, big emotions, and big laughs."[314] Joe Leydon in his review for Variety felt RRR was "bigger-than-life and bolder-than-mainstream action-adventure epic."

:smiley_duh:

Yikes......sounds like you're right, Bog...uh...Feinberg
;)
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

As usual in these times I have not seen ANY of the nominated movies, and haven't even heard of most of them. :lol: Well, I did see Top Gun and I plan to watch Glass Onion once I finally get around to watching Knives Out first. The rest I won't be checking out. "Nope" looked ridiculous and "Everything Everywhere..." looked confusing. I didn't think the new Avatar movie was out yet to make any "best of" lists, but ok. The rest are new to me.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Much like Everything Everywhere All at Once, I read a lot of hype for RRR early this year, and ended up not really caring for either. They had their moments, but too many cringeworthy elements, or heavy-handed bits, that they both became too much, and I was glad when they were over.

As someone else said, maybe I'm just officially too old now to get them.

I saw Top Gun: Maverick and felt the same as I did for Top Gun, which is not much. I don't get the love for either of them, although I know the latter one was considered a godsend for exhibitors.

I keep fairly well versed in modern film, so I'm aware of all of the films listed, but I know the least about Aftersun, only that it has garnered a lot of praise.
Watching until the end.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

skimpole wrote: December 10th, 2022, 3:19 am Not exactly an award, but here's A.O. Scott's top 10 list for this year:

Nope
Jordan Peele

Neptune Frost
Saul Williams and Anisia Uzeyman

Mr. Bachmann and His Class
Maria Speth

Aftersun
Charlotte Wells

No Bears
Jafar Panahi

Tár
Todd Field

Lost Illusions
Xavier Giannoli

Flux Gourmet
Peter Strickland

All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
Laura Poitras

Down with the King
Diego Ongaro
I admit to not thinking much of AO Scott's reviews ever since his 2014 review for Magic of the Moonlight was more of a screed against its director Woody Allen, then an actual review for the film.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Re, RRR: It's the OTT moustache-twirling depiction of all the British as pointlessly cruel oppressors who delight in beating the s*** out of women, children and anyone of colour for no reason whatsovever which I thought was just disqualifying as taking it at all serious.
The film was a dreadful joke made by people with the sensibility of a 10 year year old. It really speaks to the dumbing down of film 'critics' if they fail to see flaws as basic as this because they are being dazzled with a giant special effect ride. I found Top Gun Maverick just about as bad. I couldn't imagine reading its dialogue written on a page. It was like it was written by a cave dweller.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Feinberg wrote: December 10th, 2022, 4:27 am Re, RRR: It's the OTT moustache-twirling depiction of all the British as pointlessly cruel oppressors who delight in beating the s*** out of women, children and anyone of colour for no reason whatsovever which I thought was just disqualifying as taking it at all serious.
The film was a dreadful joke made by people with the sensibility of a 10 year year old. It really speaks to the dumbing down of film 'critics' if they fail to see flaws as basic as this because they are being dazzled with a giant special effect ride. I found Top Gun Maverick just about as bad. I couldn't imagine reading its dialogue written on a page. It was like it was written by a cave dweller.
RRR wouldn't be the first film like that to have a cartoonish depiction of villains; Promising Young Woman was up for Best Picture a few years back, and almost without exception, all the men in the film were depicted as vermin, and it was especially telling when the film had to make the picture -perfect boyfriend into a monster too.

Such films get passes because critics agree so much with the message that they neglect considering everything else.

Not surprised that the dialogue in the new Top Gun stinks. All visuals, no substance. Just like the original
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Feinberg wrote: December 10th, 2022, 4:27 am Re, RRR: It's the OTT moustache-twirling depiction of all the British as pointlessly cruel oppressors who delight in beating the s*** out of women, children and anyone of colour for no reason whatsovever which I thought was just disqualifying as taking it at all serious.
Your post just reminded me of another benefit of the board being gone. We can finally discuss movies about British history without hearing how Britain and “Church Swill” are Satan every five seconds.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

The AFI has released their year-end best-of list:

Elvis
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fabelmans
Nope
She Said
TAR
Top Gun: Maverick
The Woman King
Women Talking

They only select American films, but they do give a Best International Film award, and this year it's The Banshees of Inisherin.
Watching until the end.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

The Berlin Film Festival held earlier this year awarded:
Picture: Alcarras
Actress: Meltem Kaptan, Rabiye Kurnaz vs. George Bush
Supporting Actress: Laura Basuki, Before Now and Then

I have seen Alcarras and didn't think that much of it.