Top Ten Lon Chaney Jr Films

Detective Jim McLeod

Top Ten Lon Chaney Jr Films

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

[size=150 In chronological order, comment on these or post your choices

1) Of Mice And Men(1939)-Chaney plays the child like Lennie, who doesn't know his own strength, heart breaking and haunting, one of the best movies of the 30s.

2) Man Made Monster(1940)Lon is very good and likable as an average guy turned into an electrical killer by mad scientist Lionel Atwill.

3) The Wolf Man(1941)his most famous role, at first he is a happy go lucky guy looking for love, then is transformed into a blood thirsty beast.

4) Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man(1943)back as the Wolf Man, he has some great scenes especially his outburst at the gypsies singing in the village.

5) Son Of Dracula (1943)this proves he can be very subtle and effective as the evil Count, one of the most atmospheric horror films of the 40s,very underrated.

6) House Of Frankenstein(1944)my favorite of his Wolf Man performances,he has a touching but tragic love affair with gypsy girl Elena Verdugo,she even gets him to smile,they have nice scenes together.

7) Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)final time as Larry Talbot the Wolf Man, somehow manages to still get some scares with his vicious werewolf character playing opposite the comedy team.

8. The Haunted Palace(1963)another subtle and chilling performance here, as an evil warlock who summons his long dead master(played by Vincent Price)

9) Witchcraft(1964)a surprising performance here, as an angry older man who is not what he seems to be.

10) Spider Baby(1968)-his last good role, in a very bizarre horror/comedy, his speech toward the end is very touching and one of his best moments captured on film.
][/size]
TikiSoo

Re: Top Ten Lon Chaney Jr Films

Post by TikiSoo »

Creighton Chaney is one of those actors that generally elevates anything he's in. He's best when in unrequited love situations, much like his father. I do think he would have been an excellent romantic lead or even support if given more opportunity.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

TikiSoo wrote: December 7th, 2022, 9:58 am Creighton Chaney is one of those actors that generally elevates anything he's in. He's best when in unrequited love situations, much like his father. I do think he would have been an excellent romantic lead or even support if given more opportunity.
Chaney Jr. himself thought he was more suited to romantic leads rather than horror roles, I once read that he fancied himself to be a Charles Boyer type!
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

My ten favorite Lon Chaney, Jr. movies in order of preference:

Of Mice And Men (1939)
The Wolf Man (1941)
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
High Noon (1952)
Man Made Monster (1941)
The Defiant Ones (1958)
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)
House of Frankenstein (1944)
House of Dracula (1945)
Big House, U.S.A. (1955)

I'm on the fence with respect to this topic and Son of Dracula (1943). Although I think it is a fine movie, I also think Mr. Chaney was miscast as Count Dracula.

I've yet to see either Witchcraft (1964) or Spider Baby (1968).
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

LiamCasey wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:42 pm I've yet to see either Witchcraft (1964) or Spider Baby (1968).
Once you see Spider Baby, you'll never forget it.
(I once sang "Santa Baby" with Spider Baby parody lyrics on ukulele at a Christmas party-obviously smashed)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

TikiSoo wrote: December 7th, 2022, 9:58 am . . . I do think he would have been an excellent romantic lead or even support if given more opportunity.
"I suppose I am the same type as Gable, but why make a comparison? He's Gable and I'm Chaney, and let the matter end there." -- Creighton Chaney*

In his youth (when he was still Creighton Chaney), Lon Chaney, Jr. was a hunk! But demon run ravaged his looks! When he died, the Time magazine obituary writer uncharitably described LCJ as "doughy-faced." For me, Lon Chaney Jr. left not only an iconic legacy. He also left a cautionary example: Lay off the booze!

Lady Killer: Remembering Lon Chaney Jr.

Lon Chaney Jr. "Famous Chaney Pot" Stew

* Why the name Creighton Tull?
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

TikiSoo wrote: December 8th, 2022, 5:57 am
LiamCasey wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:42 pm I've yet to see either Witchcraft (1964) or Spider Baby (1968).
Once you see Spider Baby, you'll never forget it.
(I once sang "Santa Baby" with Spider Baby parody lyrics on ukulele at a Christmas party-obviously smashed)
I'm sure it was a "Merrye" Christmas, but I hope you didn't play Spider!
Last edited by Swithin on December 9th, 2022, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I like Lon Chaney Jr. in a role that he probably wouldn't be able to play today: Chingachgook.

LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

1. The Wolf Man
2. Of Mice and Men
3. Spider Baby
4. Man-Made Monster
5. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
6. Strange Confession
7. House of Frankestein
8. Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
9. Gallery of Horror *
10. Dracula vs. Frankenstein*

Those last two are objectively awful, but I find them entertaining.
Watching until the end.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 4:19 pm . . .
9. Gallery of Horror *
10. Dracula vs. Frankenstein*
Those last two are objectively awful, but I find them entertaining.
Regarding Dracula vs. Frankenstein, I saw it during its initial theatrical release. Aroused by the promo and stills in Famous Monsters of Filmland, I was eager to see it and even more eager to see my first Lon Chaney, Jr. movie on The Big Screen.

Actually watching it was an entirely different experience than was reading the hype about it in FMoF. Dracula vs. Frankenstein was a shocker alright! But, not in a good way, as far as I was concerned! The flick was an appalling turkey and LCJ's appearance was . . . just sad.

Flash forward 50 years later, and I'd be embarrassed to admit how much money I've blown on DVD and Blu-ray Disc releases of DvF. My most recent acquisition is the Severin Films Blu-ray Disc edition, which offers it paired with another Al Adamson-Sam Sherman turd, Brain of Blood. My reason for buying it? To listen to producer Sam Sherman's entertaining and anecdotal commentary.

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 18th, 2022, 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Deleted duplicate post.
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 18th, 2022, 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

EP Millstone wrote: December 17th, 2022, 6:59 pm Regarding Dracula vs. Frankenstein, I saw it during its initial theatrical release. Aroused by the promo and stills in Famous Monsters of Filmland, I was eager to see it and even more eager to see my first Lon Chaney, Jr. movie on The Big Screen.

Actually watching it was an entirely different experience than was reading the hype about it in FMoF. Dracula vs. Frankenstein was a shocker alright! But, not in a good way, as far as I was concerned! The flick was an appalling turkey and LCJ's appearance was . . . just sad.
I recall reading that very issue back in the day. And it definitely made that movie out to be much better than it actually was. I guess Forrest J. Ackerman was blinded to its flaws by his "brilliant" performance as Dr. Beaumont! :-D
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LiamCasey wrote: December 17th, 2022, 7:45 pm I recall reading that very issue back in the day. And it definitely made that movie out to be much better than it actually was. I guess Forrest J. Ackerman was blinded to its flaws by his "brilliant" performance as Dr. Beaumont! :-D
According to Sam Sherman in his commentary on the Severin Films Blu-ray Disc, he -- not FJA -- wrote the Famous Monsters promo of Dracula vs. Frankenstein. Nonetheless, "The Ackermonster" deserves equal blame for "deceiving" his impressionable readers, as far as I'm concerned.

The Severin Films disc includes the extended scene of Dr. Beaumont trying to cut a deal with Dracula. Ackerman had more dialogue. "Brilliant" is not a word that I would use to describe his performance.

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

EP Millstone wrote: December 17th, 2022, 8:10 pm According to Sam Sherman in his commentary on the Severin Films Blu-ray Disc, he -- not FJA -- wrote the Famous Monsters promo of Dracula vs. Frankenstein. Nonetheless, "The Ackermonster" deserves equal blame for "deceiving" his impressionable readers, as far as I'm concerned.

The Severin Films disc includes the extended scene of Dr. Beaumont trying to cut a deal with Dracula. Ackerman had more dialogue. "Brilliant" is not a word that I would use to describe his performance.
:smilie_happy_thumbup:
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I love this discussion on one of the most infamous film turkeys of all time. I have the DVD, but not the Blu-ray...yet.
Watching until the end.