TCM On Demand merged with HBO Max?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
LostHorizons

TCM On Demand merged with HBO Max?

Post by LostHorizons »

Has anyone else noticed this? I see frequently that movies usually reserved for TCM On Demand are now popping up with “Play on HBO Max” instead of “Play on Demand.” I see this much more frequently now. Have they officially merged together? HBO Max requires you sign into your account which is why I was wondering the difference.
TikiSoo

Re: TCM On Demand merged with HBO Max?

Post by TikiSoo »

I could never access TCM on Demand, something about my TV streaming set up. (I can get it on my laptop, but don't watch movies at my work desk)
When I go to the HBO "hub" there are scant few TCM movies and LOTS of HBO movies shoved in. The HBO titles are "classics" for 20 year olds like Cocoon, not any black & white movies for goodness sake.

But I do think TCM is going to partner with other channels encompassed by their "Corporate Owners" as time goes on.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

HBO Max has several "hubs" which are curated collections of films and television. One of these hubs has always been TCM. It has quite a few movies in it, but most are mainstream things we've all heard of or probably seen. Titles range from the silent era through the 2000's.

Now as to if the On Demand thing has merged, I have no idea, having never used On Demand, but it very likely has been, as part of WB/Discovery's continued scaling down of operations.

Add to this the fact that the whole thing is set to be redesigned again early next year as it is all combined with the Discovery+ streaming service.
Watching until the end.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

LostHorizons wrote: December 8th, 2022, 3:58 am Has anyone else noticed this? I see frequently that movies usually reserved for TCM On Demand are now popping up with “Play on HBO Max” instead of “Play on Demand.” I see this much more frequently now. Have they officially merged together? HBO Max requires you sign into your account which is why I was wondering the difference.
Are you referring to the TCM on-demand titles available through your TV provider (cable/satellite/etc) or the Watch TCM app/website?

I haven't noticed a change for either in my setup.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

txfilmfan wrote: December 8th, 2022, 1:07 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 8th, 2022, 3:58 am Has anyone else noticed this? I see frequently that movies usually reserved for TCM On Demand are now popping up with “Play on HBO Max” instead of “Play on Demand.” I see this much more frequently now. Have they officially merged together? HBO Max requires you sign into your account which is why I was wondering the difference.
Are you referring to the TCM on-demand titles available through your TV provider (cable/satellite/etc) or the Watch TCM app/website?

The one on my television. Both Jean Renoir’s the River and King Kong appeared on HBO Max after airing on TCM when usually it would say “Play on TCM On Demand.”
BrianNH2OK

Post by BrianNH2OK »

I use the On Demand from our cable provider. When we lived in New Hampshire there would be a list of well over 100 movies on the TCM page. Now we're in Oklahoma and have maybe 40 on average. I checked today, LostHorizons, to see if any titles fit your description and came upon "They Were Expendable" which TCM showed yesterday.

When I clicked on it, the set-up page said Play on HBOMAX. But there was a box called Watch Options which allowed me to choose play on TCM.

I check some of the On Demand movie sites from time to time, and much of what's available seems to be through HBOMax; but oddly enough, every once in a while there'll be a movie (such as "Cleopatra") which I can watch without having to sign up for. Even though it's through HBO, it still says "Free to You," and I can watch it with no obstacles.

Again, this is through our TV cable package.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Getting more and more complicated. Get TCM On Demand on Spectrum cable. A while back they might have five or six movies, now it is a dozen or more. Can play any of them just by clicking on them, at least a week ago.
We also have HBOMax streaming because we have HBO on Spectrum. Selections are pretty weak if you ask me and we seldom watch it. I believe it does have a TCM section, but have not checked in some time now.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

LostHorizons wrote: December 8th, 2022, 5:05 pm
txfilmfan wrote: December 8th, 2022, 1:07 pm

The one on my television. Both Jean Renoir’s the River and King Kong appeared on HBO Max after airing on TCM when usually it would say “Play on TCM On Demand.”
Obviously it seems to vary by provider. In my case, it may be because I don't access HBOmax through them - I use the HBOmax app via Roku rather than as a subscription through my TV service provider (since I get my HBOmax via the AT&T route, which, for some reason, AT&T still provides, even though they no longer own Warner). So my TV provider isn't aware that I have an HBOmax subscription.

As ElCid said, it's complicated. So many variables these days...
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

There are still films appearing in the TCM section on the TV's on demand section (including King Kong), but it would not surprise me, given the increasing consolidation if the online on demand section is moved to HBO max.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

TikiSoo wrote: December 8th, 2022, 6:25 am I could never access TCM on Demand, something about my TV streaming set up. (I can get it on my laptop, but don't watch movies at my work desk)
When I go to the HBO "hub" there are scant few TCM movies and LOTS of HBO movies shoved in. The HBO titles are "classics" for 20 year olds like Cocoon, not any black & white movies for goodness sake.

But I do think TCM is going to partner with other channels encompassed by their "Corporate Owners" as time goes on.
HBO puts practically any film that is at least 10 (10!) Years old in that section. Cocoon at least has been around for over 35 years and has veterans like Don Ameche and Hume Cronyn in the cast, people who were part of Hollywood since the 1930s and 1940s.

No such case can be made for a film like say 2010's The Fighter, which I noticed in that section last year. Nobody in it had made a film prior to 1987. Seeing it listed as a "classic" made me feel old.
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

Spectrum just changed their cable packages without notice, taking TCM out of my lineup. They want 12 dollars more a month. I'm not accepting this so that's it for Turner unfortunately.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Well I just noticed HBO Max (which we subscribe) no longer has "hubs" except sports! The only categories are "Movies" (not classics) and "Series" (primarily their own), no good.

I'm very glad I have thousands of TCM DVDs and several TV series I never tire of. Some days I just want to catch up with an old OS episode of Star Trek, MST3K and the like and don't have to go search for it and endure commercial breaks.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I've been paying $9.99/month for the More Sports & Entertainment package with Comcast/Xfinity for what seems like years.
That's where TCM is.
I only have cable and at this point, streaming options are almost as costly as cable.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

TikiSoo wrote: October 27th, 2023, 8:23 am Well I just noticed HBO Max (which we subscribe) no longer has "hubs" except sports! The only categories are "Movies" (not classics) and "Series" (primarily their own), no good.

I'm very glad I have thousands of TCM DVDs and several TV series I never tire of. Some days I just want to catch up with an old OS episode of Star Trek, MST3K and the like and don't have to go search for it and endure commercial breaks.
You can still find "TCM" properties on max (though whoever "curates" HBOMax evidently doesn't watch TCM). They just got rid of the hub nomenclature, for some reason. It's a little clumsy to get to it, though.

They've made the user interface look more like Netflix, with a "Top 10" list, "Just Added", etc. If you scroll down past these, about 5 or 6 "rows" down, you'll get to "Brand Spotlight". There, you'll see the various WB properties, which are in this order on my screen, from left to right:

HBO
max originals
CNNmax
DC
TCM
Discovery
and about a dozen more...
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

jameselliot wrote: October 26th, 2023, 10:34 pm Spectrum just changed their cable packages without notice, taking TCM out of my lineup. They want 12 dollars more a month. I'm not accepting this so that's it for Turner unfortunately.
Disappeared from my Spectrum lineup in my neck of the woods too. Oddly, though, the Watch TCM app via Spectrum still works.