Request for Like/Thank Button

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
ElCid

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by ElCid »

Appears to me we need to NOT have any more buttons. A like button means that you agree with and support the post.
Not having a dislike or disagree button requires that a poster questioning the post quote and comment if there is a Like button available.
Assumptions would be some people Liked the post, other people accepted the post and nobody questioned or disagreed with the post unless they quoted.
Seems to me the system here has worked well for a long time and maybe we should just accept it as it is - at least for several months.
If someone really likes a post that much, they can quote it and say that. :)
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

ElCid wrote: December 11th, 2022, 12:02 pm Appears to me we need to NOT have any more buttons. A like button means that you agree with and support the post.
Not having a dislike or disagree button requires that a poster questioning the post quote and comment if there is a Like button available.
Assumptions would be some people Liked the post, other people accepted the post and nobody questioned or disagreed with the post unless they quoted.
Seems to me the system here has worked well for a long time and maybe we should just accept it as it is - at least for several months.
"Like" buttons are pretty standard on boards such as this. But if there is no such button, I guess a post such as this can suffice. Just seems silly, though, when a simple "like" button would do. When it seems appropriate to me, this is what I'll be using.

GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

ElCid wrote: December 11th, 2022, 12:02 pm Appears to me we need to NOT have any more buttons. A like button means that you agree with and support the post.
Great post! I share the exact same sentiments you posted. Well worded.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Masha wrote: December 10th, 2022, 8:41 pm I respectfully disagree. We don't need no stinkin' buttons

I remain against it because it suppresses discussion and is open to misuse.

It is common for a person to dither about writing a reply because they are not sure how to word it or because of the time involved. Having a button decides the matter for them because it is fast and easy quasi-reply. The entire reason for having a discussion board is to discuss things. A button does not allow a person to indicate why they liked the post and so does not allow discussions on that aspect.

It is normal human behavior to seek approval from the group. Receiving many likes to a post will cause a person to create very similar posts to gain further approval. A neurotic might with ease center their life around receiving 'likes' but even a well-oriented person will be swayed subconsciously in their decision as to whether they should write a post about which they are more interested or to write a post which is more likely to be popular. Any decisions which promote popularity reduce the richness and variety of the forum.
I am also opposed to a Like button for the reasons that Masha has eloquently noted.

(The bolding and underlining in Masha's post that I've quoted were made by me for emphasis.)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

FWIW, my vote would be have a "Like" button and perhaps a "LOL" button, but NOT to have any sort of "Unlike" button and for two reasons regarding the latter. Those being that, first, there is already much too negativity to be seen on the Web, but secondly and most importantly because IF one does NOT like or does not agree with something someone else has posted, then not having the "easy way out" to express one's disagreement or dislike with what another has posted THEN requires the person who feels this way to EXPLAIN why they don't within a subsequent post of their own making.

(...yep, in my view, there's few things in life that I "like" LESS than someone who feels strongly about something but YET who are unable and/or incapable of explaining in rational terms why they "feel" so strongly about something)
Last edited by Dargo on December 11th, 2022, 4:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: December 11th, 2022, 4:29 pm FWIW, my vote would be have a "Like" button and perhaps a "LOL" button, but NOT to have any sort of "Unlike" button and for two reasons regarding the latter. Those being that, first, there is already much too negativity to be seen on the Web, but secondly and most importantly because IF one does NOT like or does not agree with something someone else has posted, then not having the "easy way out" to express one's disagreement or dislike with what another has posted THEN requires the person who feels this way to EXPLAIN why they don't.

(...yep, in my view, there's few things in life that I "like" less than someone who feels strongly about something but YET who are unable and/or incapable of explaining in rational terms why they "feel" the way that they do about something)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

While I can agree with most of the sentiments expressed thus far on this subject, I will add that the current set-up engenders a message board pet peeve of mine - people quoting lengthy posts only to add a "Thanks", or "I agree" response. Those terse responses are fine in and of themselves, but it's an irritant to see someone's multi-paragraph-with-pics-and-video comment reposted just for a one or two word acknowledgment. And the way quotes look on here make it even more of an eyesore.

I know this is a "me" problem and I'll likely just have to get used to it, but I would appreciate any effort that is made to perhaps whittle down lengthy quotes and requotes.
Watching until the end.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

One of my favorite movie lines is spoken by Mae West in Klondike Annie (1936). In response to Harold Huber's (Chan Lo) loquaciousness, Mae (as the San Francisco Doll) replies:

"You never can say anything the short way, can you?"

My point being that the San Francisco Doll would prefer to have a "like" button.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Actually you don't have to quote someone to "like" what they said. Just say: Joe I like your post.
Guess I am just of the mindset that if you are going to permit people to "like" something, you should also permit others to "disagree."
Also comes down to the poster might think that those who didn't "like" them may not "like" them?
Leave it as is.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: December 11th, 2022, 5:00 pm While I can agree with most of the sentiments expressed thus far on this subject, I will add that the current set-up engenders a message board pet peeve of mine - people quoting lengthy posts only to add a "Thanks", or "I agree" response. Those terse responses are fine in and of themselves, but it's an irritant to see someone's multi-paragraph-with-pics-and-video comment reposted just for a one or two word acknowledgment. And the way quotes look on here make it even more of an eyesore.

I know this is a "me" problem and I'll likely just have to get used to it, but I would appreciate any effort that is made to perhaps whittle down lengthy quotes and requotes.
No Lawrence, this isn't just a "me problem" in your case here. I've also noticed this sort of thing as being an unneccessary result of the quote function at this website.

In my case and on occasion, I've taken to wiping out all the previous quotes which become inclusive when one hits the quote button and all except the last quoted person who I'm attempting to solely reply to before I enter my reply post. However and while doing this, I'm also thinking that this should not be a requirement on my part to shorten the size and length of my posting.

(...and so yes, once again you're not alone in this regard)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Yeah, maybe the quote is not really necessary, it used to be used so everybody knew what you were talking about, that doesn’t seem to be the case here, everybody knows what you are talking about because you are the next poster from the post before. I too am against reading these long quotes that I already read as straight posts.
laffite

Post by laffite »

then don't read it again

:smart aleck alert:

;)
"Desire" (1936)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

To Be Filed Under "Going Out on a Limb"
Masha wrote: December 11th, 2022, 2:48 am
Posit this: One person on Facebook has fifty thousand friends who follow their posts and 'Like' all their opinions. A different person has three friends who borrow each other's tools and constantly argue about which football team is best. Both of these people have the sudden need for help to hide a body before the police arrive. Which one is likely to have to go it alone?
Care to get something off your chest, Masha? You're among "friends." I, for one, promise to keep your secret. Honest! Dependent, of course, on your monthly deposit of a modest stipend (defined by me) in my savings account.

MEANWHILE BACK IN THE COURT (of public opinion): THE PEOPLE (well, some people) vs THE LIKE BUTTON

Exhibit A*, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury

Here's a more cogent argument FOR a Like button:

Fifty thousand women want the right to control their own bodies. But a comparative minority of Puritans refuse them that right. Not only do the Puritans deny themselves the right, they want to deny EVERYONE the right!

To apply my analogy to the topic at hand: If you don't want a Like button, don't use it!

* And I'm not picking on you, Marysara!
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 12th, 2022, 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

EP Millstone wrote: December 11th, 2022, 8:00 pm
Fifty thousand women want the right to control their own bodies. But a comparative minority of Puritans refuse them that right. Not only do the Puritans deny themselves the right, they want to deny EVERYONE the right!

To apply my analogy to the topic at hand: If you don't want a Like button, don't use it!

* And I'm not picking on you, Marysara!
LOL

Kind'a flirtin' a bit with danger here by usin' a "HOT button" issue in order to press for a "LIKE button" on these here boards, aren't ya EPM?! ;) LOL

(...don't get me wrong here though, as I DO think your little analogy here is actually a fairly valid one)