Request for Like/Thank Button

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
laffite

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:21 pm 17 Likes? Wow, I had three on one of my posts, along with a sad and two confused and a rotten egg.
It was a lucky break. My average LIKE per post was not that impressive. It be like a batting average of about .209. :(

And it was like dirty money. I was make fun of another member.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:29 pm
. . . And besides I could never be Maenad. After all you have to be female for that. And I am not.
It's the 21st century. You can be anything you want. Just a matter of changing your . . . pronouns.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Okay, we have to think buttons here. If the flood gates are open to the Like button, what other buttons are out there? Can Lomm make buttons up or create new buttons or what? I would like to see some creative and sarcastic and hurtful buttons. Like a Lame button, or an Off Topic button, or a Quit Crying in Your Beer button.
Last edited by Thompson on December 21st, 2022, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:55 pm Okay, we have to think buttons here. If the flood gates are open to the Like button, what other buttons are out there? Can Lomm make buttons up or create new buttons or what? I would like to see some creative and sarcastic and hurtful buttons. Like a Lame button, or Off Topic button, or Where Do You Get Off button, or Nobody Likes You button,
Surely you jest. But I wonder if we are going to have another vote on a THANKS button. Surely I jest. Maybe we need A button for OH PERISH THE THOUGHT.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Now you are talking, Laffite, that is it, a PERISH THE THOUGHT
So 1. A Like button
2. A Thanks button
3. A Funny button
4. A Perish the Thought button
5. You are Off Topic Again as Always button
6. Don’t Crowd Me Lady or I’ll Fill Up Your Shoe (‘cause I’m a sweet bourbon daddy and tonight I am blue) button.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Cuthbert wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:19 pm
laffite wrote: December 21st, 2022, 6:41 pm

My record for LIKES in a single post was 17 at TCM. It was a dry comment targeting the infamous "enfant terrible."

MissWonderly3 (Where are you, BTW?) posted something about Asta that garnered 23 likes.

I don't keep track, but TCM published the list (that I visited maybe two or three times in all the years). The highest was was well into the 20s.

For the record, I don't think that I have experienced any orgiastic dances of enthusiasm.

:smiley_happygroup:
You should do your orgiastic dance of enthusiasm. I've always thought of you as a Maenad!
No, despite my occasional extravagance, I am more a Hermes fan. But if I were a young hot thing I would most assiduously vie for a place in heart of that orgiastic God-dy to which you indirectly refer.
And besides I could never be Maenad. After all you have to be female for that. And I am not.
I guess I'm just an old Apollonian. I knew you were a bloke. Interesting that you are a Hermes fan. I can picture you strolling around with one of the new Hermes bags for men.

laffite

Post by laffite »

LostHorizons wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:26 pm
laffite wrote: December 12th, 2022, 9:31 pm
sagebrush wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:19 pm I like the "like", "thanks" and "sad" icons. What I would really like, though, is a "quote selection" option.
At 'over there' there was an option to select part of the quote if you wanted to just answer that. Just select and the software would ask, "quote this" and the poster being drawn from would be alerted. I don't think we can do that here at least without a lot of trouble. You can cut and paste the partial post but the member whose post was being quoted would not be alerted by the software.
Strangely enough, I get alerted any time I am in a quote chain so if someone quotes a person who quoted me I am altered even though I wasn’t directly quoted myself.
I don't think I get an alert by simply being in the quote chain. Only if I am quoted directly. I think. I'll have to take notice. It's strange, some of us may get alternate soft-ware versions. One posted here that he/she did not have the Quick Reply option/
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: December 21st, 2022, 10:18 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:19 pm

You should do your orgiastic dance of enthusiasm. I've always thought of you as a Maenad!
No, despite my occasional extravagance, I am more a Hermes fan. But if I were a young hot thing I would most assiduously vie for a place in heart of that orgiastic God-dy to which you indirectly refer.
And besides I could never be Maenad. After all you have to be female for that. And I am not.
I guess I'm just an old Apollonian. I knew you were a bloke. Interesting that you are a Hermes fan. I can picture you strolling around with one of the new Hermes bags for men.

LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Thompson wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:55 pm Okay, we have to think buttons here. If the flood gates are open to the Like button, what other buttons are out there? Can Lomm make buttons up or create new buttons or what? I would like to see some creative and sarcastic and hurtful buttons. Like a Lame button, or an Off Topic button, or a Quit Crying in Your Beer button.
CID Mentioned it I think on the old forum but there should be an “agree” button if there is a like button also. I think most people just used thanks for agree which is probably not what it was intended for.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

What’s the name of our bowling team again? Oh yeah, The Noir Alley Button Holes. EP Millstone will be in charge of scoring so he will have to sit at the scoring kiosk and keep score. Everybody else will be required to wear bowling shoes before their turn at bowling. It’s going to be exciting, all the bowlers on our team will have had either a Mounds or an Almond Joy depending on if they feel like a nut or not and will be ready and awaiting their turn to bowl.
Last edited by Thompson on December 22nd, 2022, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:28 pm The fact that there may have been a couple of posters who got off on how many "likes" they got, is a red herring. It doesn't diminish the value of the "like" button for users of the button.
My record for LIKES in a single post was 17 at TCM. It was a dry comment targeting the infamous "enfant terrible."

MissWonderly3 (Where are you, BTW?) posted something about Asta that garnered 23 likes.

I don't keep track, but TCM published the list (that I visited maybe two or three times in all the years). The highest was was well into the 20s.

For the record, I don't think that I have experienced any orgiastic dances of enthusiasm.

I noticed that anything mocking either that particular poster you mention or a certain former ex-president would always garner loads of likes. I think all of my most liked posts were just pithy remakes against those two individuals.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LostHorizons wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 12:21 am
Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:28 pm The fact that there may have been a couple of posters who got off on how many "likes" they got, is a red herring. It doesn't diminish the value of the "like" button for users of the button.

I noticed that anything mocking either that particular poster you mention or a certain former ex-president would always garner loads of likes. I think all of my most liked posts were just pithy remakes against those two individuals.
Brevity is the soul of wit. :smiley_sealed:
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

17 Likes??? What was the post about?
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

LostHorizons wrote: December 21st, 2022, 11:53 pm
Thompson wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:55 pm Okay, we have to think buttons here. If the flood gates are open to the Like button, what other buttons are out there? Can Lomm make buttons up or create new buttons or what? I would like to see some creative and sarcastic and hurtful buttons. Like a Lame button, or an Off Topic button, or a Quit Crying in Your Beer button.
CID Mentioned it I think on the old forum but there should be an “agree” button if there is a like button also. I think most people just used thanks for agree which is probably not what it was intended for.
Actually I mentioned this on the other like button thread. If there is a like button, there also needs to be a disagree or dislike button. Like tends to mean the same thing as agree in this context.
I am opposed to all buttons.

I have expressed my most recent thoughts on the other (poll) thread so I won't repeat them here.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson, with respect, we are not here to rebuke other members' behavior. One has the option of reporting any posts that one may feel is violation of some kind. Even a mere DISLIKE button is ill-advised. If someone dislikes and disagrees with a post of mine it would be nice to at least knows why. To click a dislike button is a cheap way to simply disagree. It's a hit-and-run mentality. It is also passive-aggressive. And it would result into contentiousness, dissension, and discontent. Two cents.