The American Film Institute released their annual list of the best movies and TV shows of 2022

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
GaryCooper

The American Film Institute released their annual list of the best movies and TV shows of 2022

Post by GaryCooper »

I only seek out Yellowstone (Paramount) when streaming for entertainment other than Sports. Have Elvis in my Netflix Que.

G.C.
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
CinemaInternational

Re: The American Film Institute released their annual list of the best movies and TV shows of 2022

Post by CinemaInternational »

I thought Elvis was very good.... Everything Everywhere.... Not so Much.
LawrenceA

Re: The American Film Institute released their annual list of the best movies and TV shows of 2022

Post by LawrenceA »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 19th, 2022, 3:36 pm I thought Elvis was very good.... Everything Everywhere.... Not so Much.
I thought the central performance by Butler was good in Elvis, but I wasn't crazy about the movie. I haven't really cared for any of Baz Luhrmann's films. They're just...too much. However, I will give the caveat that I liked Elvis more than I expected to. Focusing more on Tom Hanks in his fat suit and goofball accent was perhaps ill-advised.

As we've discussed before, I also wasn't thrilled with Everything Everywhere All at Once, nor Top Gun. I wasn't crazy about Nope, either, although I thought there was more going on/being said than is immediately evident on first watch. I haven't seen any of the other six on their list.
Watching until the end.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

LawrenceA wrote: December 19th, 2022, 3:46 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: December 19th, 2022, 3:36 pm I thought Elvis was very good.... Everything Everywhere.... Not so Much.
I thought the central performance by Butler was good in Elvis, but I wasn't crazy about the movie. I haven't really cared for any of Baz Luhrmann's films. They're just...too much. However, I will give the caveat that I liked Elvis more than I expected to. Focusing more on Tom Hanks in his fat suit and goofball accent was perhaps ill-advised.
I haven't seen any of the other six on their list.
Yeah, Tom Hanks was a bit much in the film, but at the same time, I was pleased he was trying a little something different. Luhrmann does go overboard (I saw Romeo and Juliet this year and did not care for it), but I came at the film just after Everything Everywhere, and dare I say, Elvis was restrained by comparison.

Of the other six, I would love to see The Fabelmans but I cannot afford $20 to view it on demand; Tar comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray tomorrow, so that can be handled soon. I'll probably reluctantly bite on Top Gun when it turns up on Amazon Prime.

They also handed a special award to Banshees of Inerishin which is on HBO Max now; strong acting, but slightly undercooked script that reminded me vaguely of a becalmed Irish countryside version of War of the Roses.