OBITUARIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by Hibi »

Allhallowsday wrote: June 9th, 2023, 9:26 pm
Feinberg wrote: June 5th, 2023, 7:38 am Barry Newman - best known for his roles in Vanishing Point and Petrocelli - dies at 92

The Boston-born entertainer, best known for his role as Kowalski in the 1971 crime thriller Vanishing Point, passed away May 11.
I will always love the cool philosophical hippy-dippy VANISHING POINT !

Good night BARRY!
Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard this. Didn't realize he was that old. I remember Petrocelli! He was also in one of my favorite Murder, She Wrote episodes where everyone was snowed in at a ski lodge and people were getting killed (of course!) Great twist at the end.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Sepiatone wrote: June 13th, 2023, 11:50 am https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/ ... 234769938/

Sepiatone
Yes, sad news about Treat Williams. He was very good in Prince of the City.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Sepiatone wrote: June 13th, 2023, 11:50 am https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/ ... 234769938/

Sepiatone
Wow! Just watched him a few weeks back in the season finale of 'Blue Bloods'. He had a reoccurring role as an old but somewhat troubled friend of Tom Selleck's Frank Reagan character.

Also once met him years ago when I worked at LAX. Somewhere around the mid-'80s. Seemed like a very nice guy.

Sorry to hear this. R.I.P. And FWIW, he always kind'a reminded me of Ray Liotta.

(...OH, and one more thing here...WHY the hell is it that people can't see oncoming motorcyclists before they begin making their left turn right in front of us???!!!...damn clueless cagers...sometimes it seems like HALF you people out there should have NEVER been issued a damn driver's license!!!)
Last edited by Dargo on June 13th, 2023, 5:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Dargo wrote: June 13th, 2023, 4:54 pm
Sepiatone
Wow! Just watched him a few weeks back in the season finale of 'Blue Bloods'. He had reoccurring role as an old but somewhat troubled friend of Tom Selleck's Frank Reagan character.
Also once met him years ago when I worked at LAX. Somewhere around the mid-'80s. Seemed like a very nice guy.
Sorry to hear this. R.I.P.
(...FWIW...he always kind'a reminded me of Ray Liotta)
Really? They were both wonderful, but TREAT was better looking and not nearly as famous. It is amazing to hear of this loss. Now they're both gone.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Dargo wrote: June 13th, 2023, 5:00 pm
(...FWIW...he always kind'a reminded me of Ray Liotta)
Allhallowsday wrote: June 13th, 2023, 5:00 pm Really? They were both wonderful, but TREAT was better looking and not nearly as famous. It is amazing to hear of this loss. Now they're both gone.
I'd guess the primary reason for my thinking this, might be that they both came onto the scene at about the same time...the late-'70s.

(...and yes, I agree Allhallows...both men were wonderful at their craft)
Last edited by Dargo on June 13th, 2023, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Mona
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

CinemaInternational wrote: June 13th, 2023, 3:22 pm

Sepiatone
Yes, sad news about Treat Williams. He was very good in Prince of the City.

:(
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Dargo wrote: June 13th, 2023, 4:54 pm ...sometimes it seems like HALF you people out there should have NEVER been issued a damn driver's license!!!)
Whaddya mean "you people"? :tickedoff: Have I ever turn in front of you while you were riding your cycle? :smiley_huh:

Now, I don't ride, but have many friends who do(and did) and have heard all the complaints. And because I've no issues with motorcyclists I'm usually very aware and careful of and for them. But I know both those who don't pay them any mind out of carelessness and some who HATE "Those motorcycle bums!" to the point they actually do intentionally put them in peril.
So I get your rant, but please don't generalize. ;)

Sepiatone
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Sepiatone wrote: June 14th, 2023, 11:59 am
Dargo wrote: June 13th, 2023, 4:54 pm ...sometimes it seems like HALF you people out there should have NEVER been issued a damn driver's license!!!)
Whaddya mean "you people"? :tickedoff: Have I ever turn in front of you while you were riding your cycle? :smiley_huh:

Now, I don't ride, but have many friends who do(and did) and have heard all the complaints. And because I've no issues with motorcyclists I'm usually very aware and careful of and for them. But I know both those who don't pay them any mind out of carelessness and some who HATE "Those motorcycle bums!" to the point they actually do intentionally put them in peril.
So I get your rant, but please don't generalize. ;)

Sepiatone
Well old buddy, then just consider youself in the GOOD "half of you people out there" then!

(...that's how I've always thought of you, anyway) ;)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Once again, I side with Dargo. Hey buddy, I stopped driving in 1995. You're safe from me.
I didn't realize the reference Dargo was making until reading how Treat Williams died.
I can agree that half of the people driving in my neck of the woods are reckless.
Young whippersnappers mostly, who are fearless.
Of all people, Dargo means no harm.
There was a time when I lived alone and used public transit almost exclusively.
Way too many times, I was ignored by motorists.
Pedestrians are at big risk here.
Riding a motorcycle would be safer.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I was born in Manhattan and have lived all my life in three of NYC's boroughs. I'm such a native, that I don't even have a driver's license, which upsets my friends in London, because they drink more than I do and would have liked me to be the designated driver.

But to my point: I've never been afraid of cars on the streets of New York. I am afraid of the other types of vehicles. Not so much motorcyclists, because they obey the traffic rules. But bicyclists don't, and neither to the drivers of the newer forms of bike-like transport, including scooters. They are a menace, and getting worse! I did bike at one time but became afraid of other bikers. I stopped for the red light, in the bike lane on 6th Avenue/57th Street, but the biker behind me didn't, and I was thrown off my bike. Not badly hurt, but still more afraid of the other bikers. The actress Lisa Banes was killed by a motorized scooter, a few blocks from where I live, two years ago.

One of the great tragedies occurred when this guy was killed, swerving to avoid two boys on bicycles.

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: June 14th, 2023, 1:19 pm

One of the great tragedies occurred when this guy was killed, swerving to avoid two boys on bicycles.

I wonder how many around here could name the man you've referenced and posted a pic of, Swithin.

My guess: Probably the vast majority of our little group around here could indeed easily name him, but primarly only because of a certain classic 1962 movie epic.

Another guess I have would be that very few around here, other than this avid motorcyclist here, could name the brand of motorcycle the man is standing behind in that photo. For the uninitiated here, it's a Brough-Superior.

And FWIW, the internet is reporting that Treat Williams died the other day when (and as I editorialized earlier here in this thing) SOME DAMN CLUELESS CAGER WHO PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN ISSSUED A DAMN DRIVER'S LICENSE made a left turn right in front of the 1986 Honda Shadow he was riding at the time.

;)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Well Dargo, I don't know who it is.
By the time I zoom in on the image, it's too blurry.
The film that first comes to mind is listed as 1963.
There is only one motorcycle movie I think of in a hurry.
It is interesting Swithin doesn't have a license.
Jessica Fletcher some how survived.
I agree about cyclists.
We have a busy intersection here where flowers are often on display.
I do miss the convenience of having my own wheels but it stops there.
My 9 year old brother was killed walking his bicycle in a crosswalk.
The 16 year old girl froze and never hit the brakes.
I do miss my classic Honda 55:
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: June 14th, 2023, 3:59 pm Well Dargo, I don't know who it is.
By the time I zoom in on the image, it's too blurry.
The film that first comes to mind is listed as 1963.
There is only one motorcycle movie I think of in a hurry.
It is interesting Swithin doesn't have a license.
Jessica Fletcher some how survived.
I agree about cyclists.
We have a busy intersection here where flowers are often on display.
I do miss the convenience of having my own wheels but it stops there.
My 9 year old brother was killed walking his bicycle in a crosswalk.
The 16 year old girl froze and never hit the brakes.
I do miss my classic Honda 55:
Swithin's pic was of the real T.E. Lawrence ("of Arabia" fame), and director David Lean's movie based on his life was released in 1962.

Sorry to hear about your brother. That must've been especially tough on your parents.

And re Swithin never having a D/L...sounds very common for a New Yorker. With the mass-transit system they have there, there's really no need to have a car to get around in that city.

(...I've also heard that garage spaces alone in Manhattan can run into pretty big bucks)