POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

LostHorizons

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: December 24th, 2022, 4:04 am
LostHorizons wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 11:54 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 9:17 pm

It isn’t immediately to me either who the other individual is who offended you (the male one). There are lots of people from both sides who contested the poll.
It isn't really important who the other individual is.

When TCM announced the sunsetting, I posted about how, although of course we love to discuss film, it was the impending loss of the community that we built up over the years that I lamented most. There are dozens of sites to discuss films. I chose to join the two boards which promised some continuation of our community, and I favoured this one, because a few of my favourite posters settled here.

I'm not a sensitive creature; I don't take offense easily. It's more a question of disillusionment. Two posters whom I admired, and who were part of the reason I settled on the SSO, behaved badly: the one with a really horrid, nasty post, which was offensive on so many levels; the other with (I felt) an irrational disregard for the election after the fact, which he continued to harp on.

So my point is that the justification I had for coming here has been diminished. I'll see how things go. I absolutely do not understand how an election which expressed desire for something fairly innocuous can be ignored. It would not hurt the minority who voted "no" to add a "like" button which can be used by the majority who voted "yes" and can be ignored by anyone who wants to ignore it.

The "yes" side won the election. The moderators can do as they please; it would just seem to me to be very odd if they did not respect the results. That in conjunction with the fall from my grace of two individuals who were part of my reason for coming here, would make me seriously reconsider whether I wanted to stay here.

My absence would certainly not be a loss for the SSO. I can't even seem to edit a post without pressing the "quote" button by mistake, thereby creating numerous copies of my post. Who needs that?
I think I figured out who you are referring to and I do not see how him changing his mind offends you. People change their minds all the time. Likewise, the other poster apologized for her post. The stuff you are threatening to leave over seems really innocuous to me.
That was no apology. Look at it again. Regarding the male poster, of course people can change their mind. But to disrespect an election and think of all kinds of reasons to criticize it, after it has taken place and a result exists, is not right. And it just happens to be a poster I had a very high regard for on the old board, which is why it saddens me.

But nor is it right for me to "threaten" to leave. I'll go if/when I'm ready, no one needs to hear my whinging over that; And I would look in on occasion.

This has been a mean-spirited discussion, on all our parts, but particularly mean-spirited on the part of the minority, who lost the election. A couple of those posters are people whom I've respected in the past. Give us our damn "like" button, we voted for it; and let the losing side in the election -- particularly the two people whom I've always had a high regard for -- concede graciously.

(Sorry about the font size of my post. It's difficult here, after a few levels of quoting, to differentiate between responses, so the size thing helps.)
[/quote]

On one point I agree. This has all been a mean spirited discussion and the like button won. Just give the button, I say.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

On one point I agree. This has all been a mean spirited discussion and the like button won. Just give the button, I say.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Have a very Merry Christmas everyone!
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

LostHorizons wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 7:38 pm
It isn’t immediately to me either who the other individual is who offended you (the male one). There are lots of people from both sides who contested the poll.
This is what Cuthbert posted not me. Once again I managed to foul up quoting someone.

When TCM announced the sunsetting, I posted about how, although of course we love to discuss film, it was the impending loss of the community that we built up over the years that I lamented most. There are dozens of sites to discuss films. I chose to join the two boards which promised some continuation of our community, and I favoured this one, because a few of my favourite posters settled here.

I'm not a sensitive creature; I don't take offense easily. It's more a question of disillusionment. Two posters whom I admired, and who were part of the reason I settled on the SSO, behaved badly: the one with a really horrid, nasty post, which was offensive on so many levels; the other with (I felt) an irrational disregard for the election after the fact, which he continued to harp on.

So my point is that the justification I had for coming here has been diminished. I'll see how things go. I absolutely do not understand how an election which expressed desire for something fairly innocuous can be ignored. It would not hurt the minority who voted "no" to add a "like" button which can be used by the majority who voted "yes" and can be ignored by anyone who wants to ignore it.

The "yes" side won the election. The moderators can do as they please; it would just seem to me to be very odd if they did not respect the results. That in conjunction with the fall from my grace of two individuals who were part of my reason for coming here, would make me seriously reconsider whether I wanted to stay here.

My absence would certainly not be a loss for the SSO. I can't even seem to edit a post without pressing the "quote" button by mistake, thereby creating numerous copies of my post. Who needs that?
[/quote]
Last edited by ElCid on December 24th, 2022, 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

ElCid wrote: December 24th, 2022, 10:36 am
LostHorizons wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 7:38 pm

[/quote]

OK, I assume you are referring to me as the male?

This was not an election and there are no standards for winning or losing - that is up to the Administrators to determine. It was a recommendation by one new member who then created a poll to garner support for his recommendation. It in effect failed to gain overwhelming support, but did gain serious opposition.

There is no rule that states that the site Administrators must bow down to a poll result or recommendations from some members.

No one "won." Which means that the conversation can continue on, as you have also chosen to do.

I am sorry that this issue has caused you to consider leaving here and I hope that you, and others, do not.

Happy Holidays!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

[/quote]
[/quote]

This was not an election and there are no standards for winning or losing - that is up to the Administrators to determine. It was a recommendation by one new member who then created a poll to garner support for his recommendation. It in effect failed to gain overwhelming support, but did gain serious opposition.

There is no rule that states that the site Administrators must bow down to a poll result or recommendations from some members.

No one "won." Which means that the conversation can continue on, as you have also chosen to do.

I am sorry that this issue has caused you to consider leaving here and I hope that you, and others, do not.

Happy Holidays!
[/quote]

Yes, it's you ElCid. Your comments were harder for me to take, not because I disagree with you about the "like" button, but because I have long admired your well-reasoned comments.

The Moderator (Lomm) stated that, although disinclined to add a "like" button, if someone wanted to do a poll, "Go for it." The Moderator has already made some changes to the site, in various areas, based on just one member's suggestions. Here we have a poll, which gave all those interested an opportunity to weigh in, and enough time to consider the matter.

The thing I don't understand is why the meanness (and in one poster's case, the downright rabid nastiness) in opposing a "like" button? It would be there for those who want to use it; others can ignore it. I think the issue may be that certain people see it as an unnatural need for certain posters to garner "likes," whereas many of us see it as simply a logical way to express agreement, in those circumstances when we are not motivated, for whatever reason, to post text. Sometimes, it's just a leaner and more sensible method, and it doesn't (contrary to the views of certain people) discourage conversation.

Another Mod -- Movieman1957 -- stated that this board has managed to carry on without a "like" button since its inception. But the board is changing, and the willingness of the mods to recognize that, has been apparent. Adding a "like" button would be part of that evolution. Also, the quoting function here is cumbersome and confusing. One often doesn't know where the original poster's comments leave off, and the quoted response begins, a problem which is very confusing when there are multiple responders. That's not my main reason for agreeing with the majority about the need for a "like" button, but it's one reason.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Cuthbert wrote: December 24th, 2022, 11:09 am
[/quote]

Happy Holidays!
[/quote]

Yes, it's you ElCid. Your comments were harder for me to take, not because I disagree with you about the "like" button, but because I have long admired your well-reasoned comments.

The Moderator (Lomm) stated that, although disinclined to add a "like" button, if someone wanted to do a poll, "Go for it." The Moderator has already made some changes to the site, in various areas, based on just one member's suggestions. Here we have a poll, which gave all those interested an opportunity to weigh in, and enough time to consider the matter.

The thing I don't understand is why the meanness (and in one poster's case, the downright rabid nastiness) in opposing a "like" button? It would be there for those who want to use it; others can ignore it. I think the issue may be that certain people see it as an unnatural need for certain posters to garner "likes," whereas many of us see it as simply a logical way to express agreement, in those circumstances when we are not motivated, for whatever reason, to post text. Sometimes, it's just a leaner and more sensible method, and it doesn't (contrary to the views of certain people) discourage conversation.

Another Mod -- Movieman1957 -- stated that this board has managed to carry on without a "like" button since its inception. But the board is changing, and the willingness of the mods to recognize that, has been apparent. Adding a "like" button would be part of that evolution. Also, the quoting function here is cumbersome and confusing. One often doesn't know where the original poster's comments leave off, and the quoted response begins, a problem which is very confusing when there are multiple responders. That's not my main reason for agreeing with the majority about the need for a "like" button, but it's one reason.
[/quote]

Thank you for responding. Naturally I disagree and believe my comments in opposition to a like button were well-reasoned and sincere. I won't repeat them. ElCid
Last edited by ElCid on December 24th, 2022, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

You guys need to practice your quotation formatting. It's becoming a nigh-unreadable mess.
Watching until the end.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

LawrenceA wrote: December 24th, 2022, 2:05 pm You guys need to practice your quotation formatting. It's becoming a nigh-unreadable mess.
I agree. I scroll down to bottom where last quote shows, scroll few more lines and then start typing. Let's see how this one worked.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LawrenceA wrote: December 24th, 2022, 2:05 pm You guys need to practice your quotation formatting. It's becoming a nigh-unreadable mess.
It is a challenge!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

[/quote]

Thank you for responding. Naturally I disagree and believe my comments in opposition to a like button were well-reasoned and sincere. I won't repeat them. ElCid
[/quote]

And thank you ElCid. I certainly don't question your opposition, though I disagree with it. I only have a problem with your reactions, when the "No" vote wasn't in the majority.

Btw, I didn't bring up this rather prosaic point, but last year I had a problem with the keyboard on my MacBook. The space bar stuck, and it was very difficult to type anything that required use of the spacebar. Apple replaced the keyboard twice, free of charge, over a two-year period, but after a time, the problem recurred, and Apple wouldn't replace it. I was waiting for a new model, before I bought a new one, which I did in March 2022. During that time, I found the "like" button very useful, since it was hard to type text. I'm wondering how many people may be challenged in other ways and may find "like" buttons useful.

Unexpectedly, I received an email a couple of weeks ago, about a class action related to that keyboard problem (MacBook Keyboard Litigation Settlement). So I may get a few bucks out of it!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Here is a visual aid that I hope will be useful to folks having trouble quoting posts.

This aid shows how to quote only LostHorizons' December 24 2022, 1:41 am message.

In this example, the top, time-stamped quote line is the start of LostHorizons' response "On one point I agree. This has been a mean spirited discussion and the like button won. Just give the button I say."

Everything between that top, time-stamped quote line and LostHorizons' response "One one point I agree . . ." should be deleted.

Result:
LostHorizons wrote: December 24th, 2022, 4:41 am On one point I agree. This has all been a mean spirited discussion and the like button won. Just give the button, I say.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll ends today!

Post by Hibi »

Thompson wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 4:08 pm
Hibi wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 9:47 am When does the vote end today? Or is it already over? Today is my last day online for awhile. I might not be able to know till next year! :(
C’mon Hibi, don’t tell me you don’t have a smart phone or internet access away from your job.

It may be hard to believe, but I don't! I came in today to use the work computer for something. (I have a flip phone and no computer at home).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Masha wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 4:20 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 12:39 pm a step which those who don't want to use it, don't have to.
Those who demand a: 'Like' button are quite free to go to: FaceSpace, Twitterings, Instaslut or any other trashy site which currently uses them. There is no objective reason to have one here.

The site was being used as an archive by members. It was quite fine at that. I remember no recruitment drive nor any promises made to attract new members. The admins went to great lengths to accommodate the influx of people desperately seeking refuge. This is how you repay their generosity of spirit?

It is quite uncivilized to enter someone's home as a guest and instantly start demanding they plaster their walls with posters of nude freaks, that rap performed by convicted criminals be played loudly all night and that a flagpole be installed on the front lawn so you can fly your hammer and sickle. What you are demanding is the online equivalent to those.

Y'all should be thankful that I am not an: Admin because I would likely ban several of those who agitate for this issue. The most I can do as a member is fear what asinine demands you will make next, devirginize my: 'Foe' list and hope that you soon tire of being trolls here and go to your kindred spirit's site where any old lung disease can become god.

This comment was UNCALLED for. I can't believe the negativity on this thread over adding a simple LIKE button!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: December 29th, 2022, 3:42 pm This comment was UNCALLED for. I can't believe the negativity on this thread over adding a simple LIKE button!
That's okay. Masha is now paying for her tantrum.

Note to Self: Send a "Thank you!" note to my friend The Witch Doctor for a job well done.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields