POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

EP Millstone

Re: Do you want a Like button?

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: December 12th, 2022, 5:05 pm SO MUCH FOR DEMOCRACY!!!
It ain't over till this chick starts singin' . . .

Regarding "democracy," check out this discussion which contains the following statement:
If you want to get down to the basics, free speech here is what I say it is. I own the domain, I pay the hosting fees, and I set up the board.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LIKE! :D
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Hibi wrote: December 12th, 2022, 5:23 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: December 12th, 2022, 5:19 pm
LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:13 pm
BTW, I didn't vote in the poll. Vautrin told me it was a waste of time and no single vote matters.
This is probably a joke based on something Vautrin posted on the TCM boards.
While I don't know the specifics (or even the generalities), I found it funny.
Vautrin prided himself on never voting! :(
Proud for never voting? Wow! I missed that.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:13 pm
BTW, I didn't vote in the poll. Vautrin told me it was a waste of time and no single vote matters.
Maybe he was following his namesake. Vautrin appeared in Pere Goriot, Balzac's novel and he would never have voted. He was a villain of high degree and abhorred Rousseau's Social Contract. He hated society. :tickedoff:
"Edith"
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 12th, 2022, 9:00 pm

Proud for never voting? Wow! I missed that.
He was a huge supporter of the Ayatllah Khomeini which would explain his hatred of voting.
Thompson

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button?

Post by Thompson »

How does Vautrin rate? He never likes a post , never quotes a post, he’s kinda uppity and knowitally, but I love the way he paragraphs.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

“He is a villain of high degree and hates society.” How can you possibly get a better reference than that.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Thompson wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:45 pm How does Vautrin rate? He never likes a post , never quotes a post, he’s kinda uppity and knowitally, but I love the way he paragraphs.
LOL

I know what you mean here, Thompson. But like you also said here, there was always something about the guy you still just had to like somehow. Although in my case, it wasn't his paragraphing.

(...nope, I think it might've been his propensity to, lets say, "call 'em like he sees 'em" and often in an entertainingly glib fashion)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Oh no, Vautrin is one of my mentors, along with Dargo and Sterling Hayden. Although I still don’t “get” Johnny Guitar. I’m too stupid I guess to see it.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I was at the library today and I overheard a couple of librarians talking about you, Dargo. I couldn’t quite tell if it was negative or positive so I didn’t poke my nose into it, but I thought you should know in case you might have to leave town or go undercover.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

None of my business mind you, but I like to give my pals a heads up.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Thompson wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:37 am I was at the library today and I overheard a couple of librarians talking about you, Dargo. I couldn’t quite tell if it was negative or positive so I didn’t poke my nose into it, but I thought you should know in case you might have to leave town or go undercover.
LOL

Considering that almost any conversation which would include my name in it would most likely not be in a positive vein, I greatly appreciate this heads-up you're givin' me here.

(...glad to see you continue to have my back around here, Thompson ol' buddy) ;)
Last edited by Dargo on December 13th, 2022, 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Thompson wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:45 pm How does Vautrin rate? He never likes a post , never quotes a post, he’s kinda uppity and knowitally, but I love the way he paragraphs.
He didn’t like me very much but also I don’t blame him. I found him knowledgeable and funny sometimes. What I just don’t get is why he never outright admitted being Persian even though he clearly supported Iran heavily and is probably from there. He always stuck to “I’m Irish American and I just really support Iran and Hezbollah because they are downtrodden like us.”
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

LostHorizons wrote: December 13th, 2022, 1:15 am
He didn’t like me very much but also I don’t blame him. I found him knowledgeable and funny sometimes. What I just don’t get is why he never outright admitted being Persian even though he clearly supported Iran heavily and is probably from there. He always stuck to “I’m Irish American and I just really support Iran and Hezbollah because they are downtrodden like us.”

That's weird, because I don't recall him being super pro-Iran. I'm not saying he wasn't, just that I don't recall it, nor him expressing any sort of dislike for you.

I recall him being pretty consistent in his disdain for US foreign policy, and being pro-Palestinian, and of course his dislike of the English in general and Churchill in particular.
Watching until the end.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

LawrenceA wrote: December 13th, 2022, 1:23 am
LostHorizons wrote: December 13th, 2022, 1:15 am

That's weird, because I don't recall him being super pro-Iran. I'm not saying he wasn't, just that I don't recall it, nor him expressing any sort of dislike for you.

I recall him being pretty consistent in his disdain for US foreign policy, and being pro-Palestinian, and of course his dislike of the English in general and Churchill in particular.
Yes, he was against US intervention in the area but also I found it more intense I guess than your run of the mill SocDem from the US. This is all speculation but it seemed to me like he might have been from there or had family from there (maybe his wife’s side?) because he was not willing to concede much room for criticism of the Ayatollah. Also his silence during the mass protests when usually he is very outspoken was another thing which struck me. This is all speculation though and I do admit I remember him criticizing Assad and Erdogan at least (two Iranian Allies).