POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

Swithin

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll ends today!

Post by Swithin »

ElCid wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 5:52 pm
LawrenceA wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 5:39 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 5:14 pm
I was under the impression that we were welcome here; in fact the mods have been most kind and welcoming, and supported the "like" vote.
I only recall one mod here posting in this thread, and their opinion on the "Like" button was extremely negative. They were the one that stated that the "for" votes had to be an overwhelming majority, and then maybe. But I've only seen negative sentiment about a Like button by the site "elders". And it was EP Millstone that started this thread/poll, I believe.

I must admit, though, that the sentiment that "we're doing you homeless slobs a favor and you better not complain" rankles me a bit. Perhaps it's time to retire the message board phase of my life, after all.
Lawrence, hope you don't leave but then you are also on "the other site" I believe.
I am a little confused by your post. See the highlighted statements. Who are the site elders? Existing users of SSO, new people from TCM site, somebody else? What relationship does that have to EP Millstone? Is he a site elder?
Who is saying they are 'doing you homeless slobs a favor....?" I haven't seen that sentiment at all from the administrators or existing members of this site.
As I noted, some "refugees" from TCM have made suggestions and the administrators considered them and made changes as appropriate. They have been very accommodating.
I assume Lawerence (who can speak for himself) was referring to Masha's outburst. Here's a quote from her post: "It is quite uncivilized to enter someone's home as a guest and instantly start demanding they plaster their walls with posters of nude freaks, that rap performed by convicted criminals be played loudly all night and that a flagpole be installed on the front lawn so you can fly your hammer and sickle. What you are demanding is the online equivalent to those." ElCid, you're a civilized chap and, even if you don't want a "like" button, you must eschew Masha's vituperative outburst.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Lawrence, hope you don't leave but then you are also on "the other site" I believe.
I am a little confused by your post. See the highlighted statements. Who are the site elders? Existing users of SSO, new people from TCM site, somebody else? What relationship does that have to EP Millstone? Is he a site elder?
Who is saying they are 'doing you homeless slobs a favor....?" I haven't seen that sentiment at all from the administrators or existing members of this site.
As I noted, some "refugees" from TCM have made suggestions and the administrators considered them and made changes as appropriate. They have been very accommodating.
I have an account on the other site, but have not really participated much, and don't really have any desire to do so. The majority of my few posts there have been about this site.

I can't believe I need to parse my previous statement, but here goes: "elders" refers to the mods and those who have had an account here long before the recent TCM exodus. EP Millstone is not an "elder", and my point was it was a newcomer that started this thread/poll, not one of the older site regulars. As for the "homeless slobs shouldn't complain" bit, I was paraphrasing Masha's comments, in particular the passage where she likened us newcomers to guests in someone's house who hang lewd art and play rap music (?!?), and that the newcomers' demands are "asinine", and that some of the newcomers are "trolls".

I thought my comments were fairly clear, but apparently not clear enough for some.
Watching until the end.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Masha wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 4:20 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 12:39 pm a step which those who don't want to use it, don't have to.
Those

Y'all should be thankful that I am not an: Admin because I would likely ban several of those who agitate for this issue. The most I can do as a member is fear what asinine demands you will make next, devirginize my: 'Foe' list and hope that you soon tire of being trolls here and go to your kindred spirit's site where any old lung disease can become god.
You lost me there with “devirginize my: ‘Foe’ list” and “any old lung disease can become god.”
Did you vote for or against the like button? Maybe we should have a Hate button. Hurt everybody’s feelings. Then everybody can hate everybody but so what. A lot of us came from Noir Alley, where double crossing and femme fatales and revenge are what’s for breakfast.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Cuthbert wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 6:00 pm

I only recall one mod here posting in this thread, and their opinion on the "Like" button was extremely negative. They were the one that stated that the "for" votes had to be an overwhelming majority, and then maybe. But I've only seen negative sentiment about a Like button by the site "elders". And it was EP Millstone that started this thread/poll, I believe.

I must admit, though, that the sentiment that "we're doing you homeless slobs a favor and you better not complain" rankles me a bit. Perhaps it's time to retire the message board phase of my life, after all.
I assume Lawerence (who can speak for himself) was referring to Masha's outburst. Here's a quote from her post: "It is quite uncivilized to enter someone's home as a guest and instantly start demanding they plaster their walls with posters of nude freaks, that rap performed by convicted criminals be played loudly all night and that a flagpole be installed on the front lawn so you can fly your hammer and sickle. What you are demanding is the online equivalent to those." ElCid, you're a civilized chap and, even if you don't want a "like" button, you must eschew Masha's vituperative outburst.
I didn't get that from Lawrence's post, but that may be why it is confusing to me.
As regards Masha's comments, as I said earlier I think it was probably too harsh, but it also apparently reflects how she feels about the situation.
It is that very old scenario that I experienced at school, work, in the military, in civic organizations and so forth. The new people come in and want to make a lot of changes and this offends the existing members of the group. Change is good, but I think perhaps those who have joined here in last three months need to be cautious in what we recommend. And no more polling for six months. :) Changes have been recommended and the administrators have been overly cooperative in making them as appropriate.

This has become the most divisive topic on here of which I am aware.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

LawrenceA wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 6:08 pm
I have an account on the other site, but have not really participated much, and don't really have any desire to do so. The majority of my few posts there have been about this site.

I can't believe I need to parse my previous statement, but here goes: "elders" refers to the mods and those who have had an account here long before the recent TCM exodus. EP Millstone is not an "elder", and my point was it was a newcomer that started this thread/poll, not one of the older site regulars. As for the "homeless slobs shouldn't complain" bit, I was paraphrasing Masha's comments, in particular the passage where she likened us newcomers to guests in someone's house who hang lewd art and play rap music (?!?), and that the newcomers' demands are "asinine", and that some of the newcomers are "trolls".

I thought my comments were fairly clear, but apparently not clear enough for some.
Thank you. That clarifies it for me.
As I have said before, I believe the administrators here have been super accommodating in accepting our suggestions - when valid.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Masha

Post by Masha »

I am very sorry if I gave that impression. It was not my intent. It should be kept in mind also that I am a member only and do not speak for the admins or any other members. I know that the powers-that-be consider new members' reasonable suggestions seriously and implemented those when and where practical.

Several pre-2022 members came out against this at its first mention and our lone and long-suffering IT guru who would have to do the work to implement it stated he was not enthusiastic.

It is my considered opinion that the continued rants about it, the toddler-level of logic displayed and the gross misinformation which the forum has been continuously force-fed by rabble-rousers is a gross insult to everyone.

It is those people and no one else who have clearly demonstrated that they are mindless slobs with no respect for any other user.

It is fortunate that they are a small percentage of the new users.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
laffite

Post by laffite »

Cuthbert wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 5:14 pm
I was under the impression that we were welcome here; in fact the mods have been most kind and welcoming, and supported the "like" vote.

That's when we should have just given up the idea (the BOLD above). This site did not have a LIKE button when we got here so let it be so. Lomm is not negative, he is simply relating norms about the site before we got here and indicated that a LIKE button is not something that ought be changed. I wish that damn poll had never been initiated. It has contributed to the perfect storm. I say LAISSEZ-FAIRE from now on. Two Cents.

EP, apologies, you have been a great help here and I had nothing against the poll, but now i sense that it has become a negative thing, partially causing all this controversy and discontent.
"Desire" (1936)
Swithin

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Post by Swithin »

I'm sorry to say that what Masha did with her rant was something I have not yet seen here, i.e. she dragged the conversation down to the level of the worst excesses of the TCM Off-Topic political threads. She has given a qualified "I'm sorry," but I think we deserve a full-throated "I'm humbly mortified by my atypical behavior, and I apologize."

We may all have expressed strong opinions about the "like" subject; what Masha did what drag it down to a personal level, using terms like "trolls," etc.

The votes are in. I don't think it's for us now to opine as to how they should be interpreted. That's the Mods job, as it's Elon Musk's job to deal with the Twitter poll.
Last edited by Swithin on December 22nd, 2022, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Deleted, duplicate.
Last edited by Swithin on December 22nd, 2022, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Deleted, duplicate.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

ElCid wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 5:36 pm Below is my response to Cuthbert's post responding to Masha's. Not sure why it posted as part of his response.

Sad.
While I believe Masha may have been a little harsher than some of us would have been, she did just express her beliefs on the subject.
As another "refugee" from the TCM boards, I saw the like button there abused and ultimately become a contest.
On the other hand, in all fairness, if there is a like button, there should also be a disagree or dislike button.
I think the administrators here have done a great job of working with us to change things that are changes for the better and to accept our recommendations. However, the addition of a like button is not a change for the better.
If a poster wants to like what someone else posted, they can quote them and say that.
Ultimately, we are the new people here and need to be more respectful of those who came before us and those who manage this forum for us. Suggestions from us have been made, analyzed and enacted when appropriate.
The fact that 40% of the few people who voted are opposed is significant.
Since some are trying to amend the procedures of SSO, the standard should be a 3/4 vote in favor and not just a simple majority. Then have another vote in 3-4 months, but I would leave that up to the moderators.
You started your post before the last /quote marker. If you want your post to appear outside other posts you've quoted, you should make sure you start your response after the very last /quote marker.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Masha,

You need to lay off the sauce before you post.

I cannot help but notice the irony of someone raging "It is quite uncivilized to enter someone's home as a guest and instantly start demanding they plaster their walls with posters of nude freaks" after having created a Memes topic primarily for her own amusement. What the heck do memes have to do with the focus of the SSO: movies?

Let she who is without sin, Woman . . .

Moderator movieman1957 expressed, "With the influx of new people, which is wonderful, we are playing catch up." Thank you, movieman1957!

If cranky Luddites such as Masha want the SSO to remain an "archive" . . . if they want it be an "Old Folks Home," they are consigning it to the Ashcan of Irrelevance and Extinction. As the fossils die, so shall the SSO. To stay current and appeal to younger generations, the less conservative and hidebound, and those who are not developmentally constipated, the SSO should at least consider constantly and continuously evolving.
I only recall one mod here posting in this thread, and their opinion on the "Like" button was extremely negative. They were the one that stated that the "for" votes had to be an overwhelming majority, and then maybe . . .
laffite wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 6:50 pm That's when we should have just given up the idea (the BOLD above). This site did not have a LIKE button when we got here so let it be so.
Flip-flop much, laffite?

I find your comment puzzling, considering how gung-ho you were for a Like button. With allies like you . . .

Yes, the poll has caused divisiveness and "controversy and discontent" . . . to and among some of those who participated in the discussion. The majority of SSO newbies, seems to me, are apathetic about a Like button.
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 22nd, 2022, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

It's unfortunate that this thread has become so divisive, and, ultimately personal. I voted in support of a "like" button. I find it useful to use on occasion. But, if despite the vote, it is decided not to implement a "like" button, those posters who want to, will still have the opportunity to do the equivalent of saying "like." It would just be ever so much more cumbersome -- not for the poster who does it, as it's quite simple; rather, for the look of the board, and for the poster who may wish to comment next.

I can't imagine that anyone would not prefer a like button to the likes of this:

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Cuthbert wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 9:04 pm I can't imagine that anyone would not prefer a like button to the likes of this:

Keep up that tactic, and I suspect that The Opposition will get the message.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

[quote="EP Millstone" post_id=169340 time=1671761298 user_id=349011]
[quote=Cuthbert post_id=169338 time=1671761098 user_id=349020]

To quote a line from one of my favorite Broadway musicals, "So many ways to have good clean fun."