Classical Music

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: Classical Music

Post by laffite »

Sepiatone wrote: March 20th, 2023, 11:53 am
laffite wrote: March 19th, 2023, 12:16 pm Excellent! I was thrilled with this, mesmerized at first. Paradoxically, the homogeneity of the sound of guitars began to grate a little. It's too long. Ideally, cutting down to under three minutes would make it a lovely little miniature masterpiece of performance. The guitars are nice though and it is difficult not to think of the harpsichord.

That '68 Switched on Bach is of value. Another poster here said that it was out of print and there are no recording of it. It's dead to the world. I loved it. The first side, if I remember correctly, was the Partita No. 3. The music is direct and without all the frills. The synth recordings today annoy me no end.

Anyway, great post. You always make great contributions here.
Thanks for that And by your synth recordings today "annoy" you, I'm wondering what span "today" covers. Maybe or maybe not the '70's, when this man was busy releasing his synthesized versions...?

On the softer side;

Sepiatone

"Today" means generally the last 20 or 30 years, it was used comparatively with that original '68 one that you have. You will notice, as I previously mentioned I think, that the 'original' Switch-on Bach was straightforward with few elaborate special effects. Most of the ones now in existence are full of what I would call weird. The two examples above are awful. I skimmed them both and that was enough. Listening to all the crap from "today" I miss that old one very much. Apparently it is gone forever, like a lost film. Your LP may be worth something.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Have you heard any of "Switched On Bach 2000"?
Hard to find any clips of it that can be copied and pasted(or posted).

Sepiatone
laffite

Post by laffite »

laffite

Post by laffite »

laffite

Post by laffite »

Iturbi !

laffite

Post by laffite »

cc
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

laffite wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:45 pm
I bought a CD of English(the word they used)light music because it contained this piece of music me and a couple of generations grew up hearing every morning. ;)

Sepiatone
laffite

Post by laffite »

Sepiatone wrote: April 11th, 2023, 11:37 am
laffite wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:45 pm
I bought a CD of English(the word they used)light music because it contained this piece of music me and a couple of generations grew up hearing every morning. ;)

Sepiatone
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Haven't we gone through this before? About PUFFIN' BILLY being used as the opening theme music for CAPTAIN KANGAROO?
Which was something I didn't know until after writing BOB KEESHAN, the man who played the Captain all those years to ask him about the theme wrote me back and gave me that information. That was back in the mid '90's. I still have that letter stored in my files.

Sepiatone
laffite

Post by laffite »

I think we have, sounds familiar anyway. I never knew or remembered until this moment that the piece in question was the music for CapK.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Satie's Gymnopedia No 1 from Another Woman (1988)
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Here's one Laffite might recognize that was another TV show theme. ;)

Sepiatone
laffite

Post by laffite »

Beethoven's Ode to Joy

10,000 performers

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: April 29th, 2023, 5:20 pm Beethoven's Ode to Joy

10,000 performers

Impressive to keep that many people together. Most spaces that can accommodate such a large ensemble have terrible acoustics (arenas, etc), and the echoes can throw performers off. At least here, it appears that all the performers have sight of the conductor, which helps. You see this sometimes with marching bands, where the players can't always see the conductor/drum major(s) and the ones far afield get off by a half beat (or sometimes more). I would have thought that many singers would have thrown the balance off. I'm sure it sounded different in person (as the audio engineers can correct imbalances for the recording)