Our New Moderator

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Our New Moderator

Post by Lzcutter »

We are pleased to announce that TikiSoo has agreed to join our moderator team! She was a long time member at TCM City and we are thrilled to have her join our team!

A friendly reminder of who the team is:
Chris (movieman1957)
Lynn (lzcutter),
Christy (SueSueApplegate),
and our tech, Lomm.

And now TikiSoo!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

LawrenceA

Re: Our New Moderator

Post by LawrenceA »

Yay?
Watching until the end.
Masha

Post by Masha »

This is wonderful news!

She has long been known for discernment, tact, perspicacity ... [checks glossary of latest edition of: Brownnosing for Dummies] ... wit and fairness.

Is Lomm working on giving her the ability to reach through the screen and slap sense into some people?
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Great news! Hopefully Tiki can give Lomm some support as he implements the "Like" button!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Masha wrote: January 11th, 2023, 2:04 pm Is Lomm working on giving her the ability to reach through the screen and slap sense into some people?
Sounds like a personal request.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
fxreyman

Post by fxreyman »

Great choice and decision!!!
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I may need my own reach through the screen button, thanks.

Congrats Tiki!
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I generally get along with Tikisoo now, but she is still the only message board member to PM me to ask that I leave the TCM boards, with the reasoning that she wasn't interested in what I was posting. Pardon me if I don't see this development as something to cheer about.

This may be common practice with message boards, and I understand why it's required here, but thanks to the TCM boards, I grew used to the moderation team not being activate participants in the discussions on the boards. Having that be the case here will take getting used to, particularly when at least one of the mods has a history of being actively antagonistic towards you.

And I know this is dredging up old stuff, but I felt like putting all my cards on the table. And I realize that I don't bring anything of note to this message board, and that I wouldn't be missed.
Watching until the end.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lzcutter wrote: January 11th, 2023, 10:37 am We are pleased to announce that TikiSoo has agreed to join our moderator team! She was a long time member at TCM City and we are thrilled to have her join our team!
Is the SSO looking for more moderators?

According to the Frequently Asked Questions forum, "Moderators are individuals (or groups of individuals) who look after the forums from day to day."

Do moderators look after all forums?

Would it be easier for SSO moderators if members were assigned to moderate specific forums? For example, a Film Noir buff (e.g., ElCid, IF he was interested in doing so!) could moderate the Noir Alley and Film Noir and Crime forums. A Silent Film and/or Pre-Code film aficionado (e.g., scsu1975, IF he was interested in doing so!) could moderate Silents & PreCodes.

. . . for your consideration.

A Star Amongst Us

While horns are being blowed . . .

Head's up, Everyone! Moderator Lzcutter is a documentary film maker and a published author! Check out her books at Classic Las Vegas.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LawrenceA wrote: January 11th, 2023, 2:40 pm . . . And I realize that I don't bring anything of note to this message board, and that I wouldn't be missed.
WRONG, LawrenceA!

I, for one, greatly enjoy your sense of humor! I remember your (to me) hilarious, succinct, and spot-on response to someone on The TCM Message Boards who proclaimed "Baby Boomers" as The Greatest Generation:

For that response alone, you've got a fan in me, Lawrence!
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Every board that is not run by a corporation (and even some that are) has moderators and admins who are also active participants. There would be no way to do it differently, since by and large these types of boards are not financed by anyone and are maintained by the admins/mods out of a love of the subject matter. I certainly wouldn't be bothering with doing anything that I do if I wasn't a participant (unless I was paid! :lol:) Same for the others here.

As for moderators for each forum, or sectioning off...yes, this is technically possible, but not feasible for us due to not having many moderators, nor the large amount of traffic it would take to really need a lot more. I would rely more on users reporting posts if something egregious happens, or, being we're all adults here, trying to work out problems reasonably.

On a related note: this is a new board, with new relationships possible. How about leaving all this TCM board drama in the past and moving on here? We have a very small user base, and it's likely you will interact with individuals directly much more often than you may have in the past at a big commercial board like TCM. We're here to talk about something we all love. It should be a pleasure. Thanks.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LawrenceA wrote: January 11th, 2023, 2:40 pm And I realize that I don't bring anything of note to this message board, and that I wouldn't be missed.
Poppycock! Not only your sense of humor but a vast storage of knowledge. I certainly would miss you and I am sorry that you have stopped posting reviews. I hope you become ready to throw out such thoughts as you express above and bestir yourself to full participation on this message board. At once, and always!

EDITED for clarity
Last edited by laffite on January 11th, 2023, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: January 11th, 2023, 3:29 pm . . . being we're all adults here, trying to work out problems reasonably.

On a related note: this is a new board, with new relationships possible. How about leaving all this TCM board drama in the past and moving on here? We have a very small user base, and it's likely you will interact with individuals directly much more often than you may have in the past at a big commercial board like TCM. We're here to talk about something we all love. It should be a pleasure. Thanks.
I agree that members should "work out problems reasonably." Eventually the old "TCM board drama" will dissipate.

. . . and be replaced by new drama.

Whenever people get together, there will always be drama.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Lomm wrote: January 11th, 2023, 3:29 pm
TCM relationships which I do hope will carry over here are the pleasant ones. I count my own relationships with both Lawrence and TikiSoo in that category.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

EP Millstone wrote: January 11th, 2023, 4:19 pm
Lomm wrote: January 11th, 2023, 3:29 pm . . . being we're all adults here, trying to work out problems reasonably.

I agree that members should "work out problems reasonably." Eventually the old "TCM board drama" will dissipate.

. . . and be replaced by new drama.

Whenever people get together, there will always be drama.
Well said!