The Man from Earth (2007)

Masha

Post by Masha »

This is the most wonderfully fascinating movie which most people would never consider watching.

It is a very simple movie: a 35-year old professor is moving far away. The reason is told huis clos to a diverse group of friends who drop in to see him off. How it affects each one is a complex interplay of social, religious and scientific issues cast in personal context. The discussion lasts through an afternoon. That is all it is: talk, talk and more talk. What draws you in is how you identify with the perspective each person brings. You find you are asking your own questions. You begin questioning how much you believe and if it might change what you have long believed. It is a mindbender of the most gentle and sophisticated nature.

The best way to watch this movie is simply to find it on your streaming service and start it immediately. Avoid reading any blurb, summary or synopsis for they all reveal the gist of the tale and that ruins how it hooks you and pulls you into the narrative.

It is available for viewing for free with commercials on: TubiTV and may be available on: Freevee.

9/10.1
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
scsu1975

Re: The Man from Earth (2007)

Post by scsu1975 »

I saw this as well over a year ago and enjoyed it. I did see one "development" coming which I felt was a bit much, but overall, it was an interesting film and well worth sitting through. There is a sequel, which I also saw, but didn't feel it was as good as the original.
Masha

Re: The Man from Earth (2007)

Post by Masha »

scsu1975 wrote: January 13th, 2023, 8:33 am I saw this as well over a year ago and enjoyed it. I did see one "development" coming which I felt was a bit much, but overall, it was an interesting film and well worth sitting through. There is a sequel, which I also saw, but didn't feel it was as good as the original.
I believe that the original owes much to the freshness and originality of the concept.

I was very interested when I saw that a sequel was in the works. My interest subsided when I read a summary. It seems to me to be overly contrived plot simply to justify making a sequel. I have not bothered with it yet.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya