Fav. kid cartoons...

ziggy6708a

Fav. kid cartoons...

Post by ziggy6708a »

gotta kinda agree /Sven to a point...
later favs were Bugs & Bullwinkle, & all the Jay Ward creations....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adven ... nd_Friends

& later a fan of "Animaniacs" show

:smiley_clap:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Re: Fav. kid cartoons...

Post by TikiSoo »

Even as a kid I was a cartoon snob and wouldn't watch Bullwinkle finding the animation crude, lacking. Same for 60's-70's Rankin Bass.
I've come to appreciate them a bit more as an adult and was recently urged to revisit Bullwinkle for the double entendres surely missed as a child.

But that spastic Animaniac style animation is just loathsome and don't find it engaging at all. And I have friends who own Animation Studios who produce this kind of work. (It's a living) I just don't like the style so much. Animae has grown on me, I like some of the extreme editing style, just not the stories so much. Guess I'm still a cartoon snob.

We routinely screen cartoons before a feature and classic Woody Woodpeckers, Popeyes & Disneys have been very popular but I think everyone agrees WB and Tom & Jerrys are the pinnacle of great animation, art, wit & story.
sagebrush

Post by sagebrush »

I have to say the original SCOOBY-DOO series was my favorite. I would start looking forward to it on Friday afternoon, even though it didn't air until early Saturday morning.
I also really liked THE FLINTSTONES and THE JETSONS, although those were all in syndication by that point. The WB cartoons were on TV every weekday afternoon and I watched those endlessly. My mother used to get so annoyed; she had no patience for cartoons or animation of any type.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Liked so many of them that the list would be a very very long one, however I will say that my all-time favorite cartoon short was always...

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Although the animation was very limited (using xerography), I nonetheless enjoyed the 1966 syndicated Marvel Super Heroes series. The big thrill was seeing the art of Marvel Comics Group illustrators such as Gene Colan, Steve Ditko, Don Heck, and especially Jack "King" Kirby "brought to life."

Marvel Super Heroes 1960s Cartoon Series Preservation

Marvel Super Heroes Music

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Dargo wrote: January 14th, 2023, 4:07 pm Liked so many of them that the list would be a very very long one, however I will say that my all-time favorite cartoon short was always...
Haha similar to my all time fave-

I just love Robert & Charles McKimson's bossy, loud mouth animation style of Bugs in this.

(They were brilliant animating Foghorn Leghorn)
I saw the Flintstones/Jetsons first run. Loved them as a kid, don't know how they hold up as an adult.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

The best cartoons of all time for me, by era (roughly)
1930s/early 40s: Fleischer Studios Popeye and Superman
1940s/50s: Warner Brothers Looney Toons
1960s/70s: Scooby Doo and the rest of the Hanna Barbera stuff. It doesn't stand up as stunning animation like the earlier examples, but the characters were unforgettable.
1980s: A lost decade for me, full of toy tie-ins and bland/cheaply done animation
1990s: Revitalized by Batman the Animated Series and its related tie-ins.
2000s: The rise of computer animation like Pixar in the cinema and Star Wars Clone Wars and the like on television.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Warner Bros. Looney Toons and Merrie Melodies. I always watched them every Saturday morning. One of favorite characters was the Mynah Bird.
When in doubt, have another one.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

As a little kid, I like the primitive Farmer Gray cartoons, like this one:

This Max Fleischer cartoon was also one of my favorites:

Another of my favorites: Betty Boop as Snow White, with Cab Calloway. I didn't learn until a few decades later that Cab Calloway's song "Saint James Infirmary" is actually a version of an old English folk song about a soldier who dies of syphilis.

I also liked Crusader Rabbit, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Popeye.
Last edited by Swithin on January 17th, 2023, 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I liked the "skeletons playing music and dancing" subgenre from the 30s.
Watching until the end.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LawrenceA wrote: January 17th, 2023, 10:21 pm I liked the "skeletons playing music and dancing" subgenre from the 30s.
Yes, the dance macabre cartoon genre was the forerunner of my horror film fixation, which came a few years later.

LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

I'm also partial to the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons from Warner Bros.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Another favorite cartoon was The Tomfoolery Show in the early seventies. It was so absurd and nonsensical that I never missed it.
When in doubt, have another one.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Featuring impressive, atmospheric backgrounds and a memorable introduction, Q.T. Hush is a dearly cherished 'toon from my childhood.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields