March 2023 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Discussion of programming on TCM.
cmovieviewer

March 2023 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Post by cmovieviewer »

TCM has posted a partial schedule for March, 2023. The theme is 31 Days of Oscar.

Additional details are available at my schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html

(Try refreshing the page if you initially do not see the latest changes.)
Swithin

Re: March 2023 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Post by Swithin »

I'm still waiting for TCM to show King of the Zombies (1941), which was nominated for Best Music Score.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Time to get my reading list for March ready!
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

Another 31 Days of Oscar, another chance to dig into that John Ford box....
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

At least they're not alphabetical this time. Grouped by theme is a little more interesting I guess. I wish that they would just limit the Oscar movies to either a daytime or nighttime theme and not the whole time. There is only a finite list of films that won or were nominated for Oscars--it makes for very repetitive programming. Thank goodness I have a massive backlog of DVR recordings and purchases to get through.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

speedracer5 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 3:45 pm There is only a finite list of films that won or were nominated for Oscars--it makes for very repetitive programming. Thank goodness I have a massive backlog of DVR recordings and purchases to get through.
If only the Academy gave out awards for Best Caterer, or Best Grip, or Most Creative Accounting...
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Swithin wrote: January 19th, 2023, 6:43 am I'm still waiting for TCM to show King of the Zombies (1941), which was nominated for Best Music Score.
I wish TCM would feature more Monogram films; E.g. they could have set aside a day a week for one or two films from this studio.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 20th, 2023, 3:57 pm
Swithin wrote: January 19th, 2023, 6:43 am I'm still waiting for TCM to show King of the Zombies (1941), which was nominated for Best Music Score.
I wish TCM would feature more Monogram films; E.g. they could have set aside a day a week for one or two films from this studio.
I agree. I recently checked the credits of Jean Yarbrough, director of King of the Zombies, who directed many other films for Monogram. He later transitioned to television, directing all 52 episodes of The Abbott and Costello Show, as well as other classic TV shows.

Law of the Jungle, which Yarbrough directed a year after King of the Zombies, uses the Oscar-nominated music from the latter film over the credits and also features Mantan Moreland and Lawrence Criner from the earlier film. I watched Law of the Jungle on YouTube recently. It's is an absolutely insane film, not in the same class as King of the Zombies.

speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

txfilmfan wrote: January 20th, 2023, 3:54 pm
speedracer5 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 3:45 pm There is only a finite list of films that won or were nominated for Oscars--it makes for very repetitive programming. Thank goodness I have a massive backlog of DVR recordings and purchases to get through.
If only the Academy gave out awards for Best Caterer, or Best Grip, or Most Creative Accounting...
Yes. Or should have been nominated and weren't, or didn't deserve their award. But I guess those opinions would be subjective, lol.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

The most repeat and frequent flyer heavy month of the year never fails at its job of bringing out the same old, same old every year. Most of the films featured are good or excellent, but they are all ones we have seen before
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Agreed. Good catering should always be acknowledged.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Agreed. Good catering should always be acknowledged.
[/quote]

But it would have been unfair to Monogram in a competitive award...
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

speedracer5 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 3:45 pm At least they're not alphabetical this time. Grouped by theme is a little more interesting I guess. I wish that they would just limit the Oscar movies to either a daytime or nighttime theme and not the whole time. There is only a finite list of films that won or were nominated for Oscars--it makes for very repetitive programming. Thank goodness I have a massive backlog of DVR recordings and purchases to get through.
Yeah, I read a lot during Oscar month......
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

speedracer5 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 8:16 pm
Yes. Or should have been nominated and weren't, or didn't deserve their award. But I guess those opinions would be subjective, lol.

But more interesting!
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

There are only 21 films showing in the whole month that I have not seen before. :|