MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
laffite

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by laffite »

They also have to make it as addictive as possible, the natural plant would not work. Nothing natural really works, such as herbs, you might as well ask why there are so many guns, corruption reigns and pours, very little is good any more in our tortured realm.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

laffite wrote: May 21st, 2023, 6:37 pm you might as well ask why there are so many guns
I wonder why there are so many people who don't have guns.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

kingrat wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 7:39 pm Did anyone else happen to see the bright yellow dress Alicia Malone was wearing when she introduced The Women? I can hardly imagine a less flattering color for her. With her medium blonde hairdo and pale skin, she looked completely washed out. She's a very attractive woman who is usually well dressed.
Perhaps she was in a very good mood that day. Yellow is the gayest color, don't you think?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I think Joan Crawford's performance as Crystal Allen in THE WOMEN is about the best thing in that movie. Steals the show imo from shrieky Roz and oh-so-noble Norma. Love Joan's little bouncy body movements after her sexual manipulations over the phone with Shearer's husband.

Did anyone else notice how, in THE GAZEBO, Herman the pigeon was cooing and doing all sorts of unmistakable mating noises on the shoulder of Glenn Ford when Ford embraces wife Debbie Reynolds? Was Herman jealous? Not that there is anything wrong with this....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

ScreenPix will surprise you -- came up with DONOVAN'S BRAIN a few days ago. Man, I haven't seen that in years. Low-key sci-fi crime drama with an excellent Lew Ayres. My favorite part is when it looks like the brain is laughing after dispatching a certain blackmailing character -- rocking to and fro with maniacal cerebral joy! One of the creepiest images ever because this revived organ doesn't come from any outer space alien but a plain old nasty power-mad human being, and we know how awful they are!
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 12:52 pm I think Joan Crawford's performance as Crystal Allen in THE WOMEN is about the best thing in that movie. Steals the show imo from shrieky Roz and oh-so-noble Norma. Love Joan's little bouncy body movements after her sexual manipulations over the phone with Shearer's husband.
I love Joan Crawford in The Women, but the rest of the movie is rather tiresome.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I find Norma a bit "much" but for some reason always watch THE WOMEN when it comes on, mainly for the scenes with her maid and housekeeper. I can't take Mary Boland's constant "L'amour, l'amour!" but Marjorie Main makes up for a lot.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 7:39 pm Did anyone else happen to see the bright yellow dress Alicia Malone was wearing when she introduced The Women? I can hardly imagine a less flattering color for her. With her medium blonde hairdo and pale skin, she looked completely washed out. She's a very attractive woman who is usually well dressed.
I don't find her well dressed at all. I've seen her in plenty of unflattering clothes. (including the yellow number)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 12:52 pm I think Joan Crawford's performance as Crystal Allen in THE WOMEN is about the best thing in that movie. Steals the show imo from shrieky Roz and oh-so-noble Norma. Love Joan's little bouncy body movements after her sexual manipulations over the phone with Shearer's husband.

Did anyone else notice how, in THE GAZEBO, Herman the pigeon was cooing and doing all sorts of unmistakable mating noises on the shoulder of Glenn Ford when Ford embraces wife Debbie Reynolds? Was Herman jealous? Not that there is anything wrong with this....

Norma is so insufferable in that film. Nauseating. GAG. One keeps rooting for Crystal!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: May 24th, 2023, 11:47 am

Norma is so insufferable in that film. Nauseating. GAG. One keeps rooting for Crystal!
I find myself rooting for Stephen. Just joking but I understand your POV about Norma\Mary Haines. Hard to be in her corner. The person that actually is the most hurt by all that goes around is Little Mary, who is well played by Virginia Wielder.
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on May 24th, 2023, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

That ending with Norma and her arms outstretched: I keep hoping someone (Joan?) pies her!!!! :D
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: May 24th, 2023, 4:12 pm That ending with Norma and her arms outstretched: I keep hoping someone (Joan?) pies her!!!! :D
I'm surprised there wasn't one more jungle red cat fight in the ladies lounge. Crystal accepted defeat rather easily, considering how hard she worked to get there.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: May 24th, 2023, 6:45 pm
Hibi wrote: May 24th, 2023, 4:12 pm That ending with Norma and her arms outstretched: I keep hoping someone (Joan?) pies her!!!! :D
I'm surprised there wasn't one more jungle red cat fight in the ladies lounge. Crystal accepted defeat rather easily, considering how hard she worked to get there.
Yeah, the ending is a bit of let down. Not enough fireworks!
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »