MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
txfilmfan

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: February 4th, 2023, 6:04 pm
Andree wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:41 pm
laffite wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:04 pm

Didn't he look a little like Howdy Doody (without the freckles)?
Not being much of a Howdy Doody fan, I had never thought of that before, but there is something of a resemblance.
Another thing I've noticed is how touchy and feely Gene is with the contestants; no doubt other game show hosts were
the same. I wonder if they still do that on today's game shows or if they're more aware of personal space.
One guy was kissing female guests whenever he could. I never did game shows with any regularity so I don't recall his name. I consulted a list of 60 game show hosts and I didn't see him. He kept sayng, "Survey says ... " whatever game that was. I would doubt that women today would allow that. It was so transparent and opportunistic that it became disgusting. The female guests were probably a bit mentally charged just to be on the show and maybe didn't even realize what they were doing.
That was Richard Dawson, who went on to host Family Feud, which, BTW, was developed as an extension of Match Game's "Big Money" bonus round, where you tried to match a studio audience response. Up until his game show days, he was best known to Americans for his 6 year stint on Hogan's Heroes.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

[quote=Andree post_id=172958 time=1675547763 user_id=349143]
[quote=Bronxgirl48 post_id=172922 time=1675531377 user_id=1770]

Is Georgia where DELIVERANCE took place? Just wondering.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on February 4th, 2023, 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

We have palmetto bugs in Florida of course but this one is determined to remain grounded. I cannot sleep until I exterminate this sucker. Wish me luck. (these are the moments I regret being a single female....)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I am on my sixth cup of coffee.

I must remain awake, alert, and vigilant.
Andree

Post by Andree »

laffite wrote: February 4th, 2023, 6:04 pm

One guy was kissing female guests whenever he could. I never did game shows with any regularity so I don't recall his name. I consulted a list of 60 game show hosts and I didn't see him. He kept sayng, "Survey says ... " whatever game that was. I would doubt that women today would allow that. It was so transparent and opportunistic that it became disgusting. The female guests were probably a bit mentally charged just to be on the show and maybe didn't even realize what they were doing.

Yup, Dicky Dawson was the host who used to kiss the female contestants. Once in a while it did get a little icky. It was quite a
popular game show for a while. Of course he was also a regular on Match Game, center seat in the bottom row. Dawson was
the final match that contestants went to about 97% of the time. Sometimes he got on a roll and sometimes he hit a dry streak.
Too bad nobody ever totaled up all his answers to see what % he matched.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I am being stalked by a giant cockroach and all you guys can think about are game shows!!!

LOL
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I didn't particularly care for game shows when I was growing up.

My obsessions were children's programs like Chuck McCann, Sandy Becker, Claude Kirshner, "Officer" Joe Bolton, and Sonny Fox.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Actually it was Sandy Becker who looked like a ventriloquist's dummy. I remember Claude Kirshner having a tiny face and geek neck. Sonny Fox reminded me of Jeff Chandler although I didn't realize this until much later.

My paternal grandfather was a ringer for Popeye. A Jewish Popeye who made egg creams.

I am rambling now because I am afraid the cockroach is coming for me at any moment.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:51 pm I am being stalked by a giant cockroach and all you guys can think about are game shows!!!

LOL
They are remaking that charming movie Them (1950 whatever) right there in your own apartment. They are exhuming the original cast and you'll get to meet Edmund Gwenn. Who could ask for more?

Hee hee.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:02 pm Actually it was Sandy Becker who looked like a ventriloquist's dummy. I remember Claude Kirshner having a tiny face and geek neck. Sonny Fox reminded me of Jeff Chandler although I didn't realize this until much later.

My paternal grandfather was a ringer for Popeye. A Jewish Popeye who made egg creams.

I am rambling now because I am afraid the cockroach is coming for me at any moment.
Sandy Becker and Claude Kirchner! You must come from the Bronx! Do you remember Clownie?

laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:33 pm We have palmetto bugs in Florida of course but this one is determined to remain grounded. I cannot sleep until I exterminate this sucker. Wish me luck. (these are the moments I regret being a single female....)
No need for extermination. Just squish him.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Yes, Swithin, Clownie! He was kind of creepy though.

Da Bronx, those were the days.....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

laffite wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:12 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:33 pm We have palmetto bugs in Florida of course but this one is determined to remain grounded. I cannot sleep until I exterminate this sucker. Wish me luck. (these are the moments I regret being a single female....)
No need for extermination. Just squish him.

I am trying with all my might but he keeps eluding me! Just knowing this thing could pop up anywhere around or ON ME is hellacious.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Now if I were Annie Hall I could call up Woody Allen and ask him to come over so he could kill my roach. (she had that giant spider in her bathroom)

Then again, having Woody Allen as a boyfriend would probably be worse than dealing with insects....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Oh God WHERE IS IT????

Sandy Becker had freckles.