MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Detective Jim McLeod

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Hibi wrote: May 6th, 2024, 9:21 am
txfilmfan wrote: May 5th, 2024, 9:47 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 9:40 pm Wow, I never knew about that coda, txfilmfan! What a great post, thank you. Raises more (important) questions! Not only the ones you mentioned, but Madeline's car supposedly parked at the hotel but which desk clerk Ellen Corby refutes. Was she paid to say that?

Yes, I've never understood that Ellen Corby sequence and it's never explained. Apparently she was paid off to say that, I assume.
In the Donald Spoto book The Art Of Hitchcock Hitchcock called scenes like this "ice box talk", a knot in the narrative which people may ponder at home after the movie, where they rummage through the refrigerator for a cold leftover.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: May 6th, 2024, 10:26 am
Hibi wrote: May 6th, 2024, 9:21 am
txfilmfan wrote: May 5th, 2024, 9:47 pm

Yes, I've never understood that Ellen Corby sequence and it's never explained. Apparently she was paid off to say that, I assume.
In the Donald Spoto book The Art Of Hitchcock Hitchcock called scenes like this "ice box talk", a knot in the narrative which people may ponder at home after the movie, where they rummage through the refrigerator for a cold leftover.
LOL!!!
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:03 pm I have to confess that I've never truly understood VERTIGO, much less why it's been on Top Ten lists as one of the greatest American movies. I have less of a problem with Scottie than I do with dumb needy masochistic Judy, putty in the hands of controlling men to be sure. Everyone in this story is pretty much screwed up, including Midge.

Who really makes me want to throw up is Mark Rutland in MARNIE. On their "honeymoon" he makes a promise not to touch Marnie, then forces himself on her, with sicko Hitch lovingly filming every angle of this rape.
Oh, Frenzy's rape/murder was much more sick than Marnie's scene was, even though the one in the earlier film was grotesque. With the exception of that scene, I kind of liked Marnie. Tippi does give a wonderful performance, the score is good, and its interesting so see a different type of film from Hitch.

With Vertigo, I generally think the reason why Judy goes through with the later humiliation (which leads to her death) is because, while pretending to be Madeleine, she fell for Scotty and feels bad at what she put him through.
CinemaInternational

TCM slipped up again this morning. My Sin was broadcast with the frame out of whack, so that the top of the image was at the bottom below the rest of the image.
CinemaInternational

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:53 pm Mandy Patinkin is hot as Avigdor in YENTL.
But he looks so much like one of my uncles that there's no fun in that for me!
I have to say that you bear quite a resemblance in the face to Mandy Patinkin in Yentl too.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 6th, 2024, 2:28 pm TCM slipped up again this morning. My Sin was broadcast with the frame out of whack, so that the top of the image was at the bottom below the rest of the image.
Nice! Was that the old Tallulah Bankhead film?
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: May 6th, 2024, 3:56 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: May 6th, 2024, 2:28 pm TCM slipped up again this morning. My Sin was broadcast with the frame out of whack, so that the top of the image was at the bottom below the rest of the image.
Whoops. My mistake. The film was called "My Past" not my sin, and it was with Bebe Daniels. I was pretty stunned by the distorted picture.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 6th, 2024, 3:59 pm
Whoops. My mistake. The film was called "My Past" not my sin, and it was with Bebe Daniels. I was pretty stunned by the distorted picture.
LOL. Sounds like a similar type film.
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: May 6th, 2024, 4:02 pm

I have to confess that many of the pre-codes even though they were so enjoyable to watch had such similarly florid titles that it is hard to keep them straight. "My Past", "My Sin", "Forbidden", "Illicit", "Other Women's Men", "Guilty Hands", "Lonely Wives", "No Limit", "Surrender", "Transgression", "Unfaithful", "Faithless", "Fast Life"
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:53 pm Mandy Patinkin is hot as Avigdor in YENTL.

He sure doesn't look like any of my uncles, so I guess we can make a date and hang out together.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 6th, 2024, 4:06 pm
Hibi wrote: May 6th, 2024, 4:02 pm

I have to confess that many of the pre-codes even though they were so enjoyable to watch had such similarly florid titles that it is hard to keep them straight. "My Past", "My Sin", "Forbidden", "Illicit", "Other Women's Men", "Guilty Hands", "Lonely Wives", "No Limit", "Surrender", "Transgression", "Unfaithful", "Faithless", "Fast Life"
Fallen women were popular in precodes. Recyled titles and plots!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: May 6th, 2024, 4:16 pm

He sure doesn't look like any of my uncles, so I guess we can make a date and hang out together.

LMREO!!!!
Andree

Post by Andree »

Fedya wrote: May 6th, 2024, 6:52 am
Wait until you see Fritz Lang's low-budget version, Secret Beyond the Door.
I've seen it a couple of times, though not recently. From what I remember the
Redgrave character makes Maxim de Winter seem totally normal. Replicas of
murder rooms. Red flag anyone. Get the hell out of there lady.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

BUT, evidently NOT hot enough for Babs' tastes, anyway.

I say this because when she was recently interviewed by Stephen Colbert about her newly published autobiography (when they taped it at her Malibu mansion and shown later on his program), she mentioned the part book in her book where she was competely turned off by him and due to his saying to her as filming for 'Yentl' began that he naturally assumed they were going to have an affair.

(...guess Babs doesn't care for the presumptious type, and no matter how much beefcake they're a'packin', huh!)
Last edited by Dargo on May 6th, 2024, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CinemaInternational

Dargo wrote: May 6th, 2024, 6:08 pm
BUT, evidently NOT hot enough for Babs' tastes, anyway.

I say this because when she was recently interviewed by Stephen Colbert about her new published autobiography (when they taped it at her Malibu mansion and shown later on his program), she mentioned the part book in her book where she was competely turned off by him and due to his saying to her as filming for 'Yentl' began that he naturally assumed they were going to have an affair.

(...guess Babs doesn't care for the presumptious type, and no matter how much beefcake they're a'packin', huh!)
Originally she thought of casting Richard Gere in the part. That would have been odd. (The scene in 1985's King David where Gere prances around the streets of Jerusalem wearing only a pair of underwear that looks like a diaper is one of those memorably bad scenes one can never forget.)