MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
BagelOnAPlate

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Swithin wrote: April 6th, 2023, 10:13 pm
I agree that Edith Evans should have won that year. Re: Barbra, whom I'm not fond of on film: One of the great cinematic mistakes: not casting Carol Channing in the film of Hello, Dolly!
While I love Carol Channing as Muzzy in Thoroughly Modern Millie (one of my favorite movies), I'm glad that native New Yorker Barbra Streisand had the lead in the movie adaptation of Hello, Dolly!

Streisand's interpretations of the songs are amazing!

Last edited by BagelOnAPlate on April 9th, 2023, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: April 9th, 2023, 4:23 pm
I agree that Edith Evans should have won that year. Re: Barbra, whom I'm not fond of on film: One of the great cinematic mistakes: not casting Carol Channing in the film of Hello, Dolly!
While I love Carol Channing as Muzzy in Thoroughly Modern Millie (one of my favorite movies), I'm glad that native New Yorker Barbra Streisand had the lead in the movie adaptation of Hello, Dolly!

Sreisand's interpretations of the songs are amazng!

I'm afraid that's an example of why I would have preferred Carol Channing in the film. By being the "song stylist" that she is, I feel Streisand does the character a disservice. Also she (and the arranger) take liberties with the melody, particularly since Dolly is a period piece (end of 19th century).

I prefer Carol's straightforward rendition, which mirrors the music of its time.

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: April 9th, 2023, 4:37 pm
BagelOnAPlate wrote: April 9th, 2023, 4:23 pm

Sreisand's interpretations of the songs are amazng!

I'm afraid that's an example of why I would have preferred Carol Channing in the film. By being the "song stylist" that she is, I feel Streisand does the character a disservice. Also she (and the arranger) take liberties with the melody, particularly since Dolly is a period piece (end of 19th century).

I prefer Carol's straightforward rendition, which mirrors the music of its time.

Streisand's interpretation has a Mae West quality to it (I'm thinking of the cash register line here), maybe mixed with a little Sophie Tucker? Bette Midler's was somewhere between Channing's and Streisand's, but closer to the original stage production. The tempo of the song in both the film and the latest revival is quite a bit faster than the OBC recording.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I'm sorry that this song was not used in the movie:

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: April 9th, 2023, 4:08 pm I think some of you would enjoy Matthew Kennedy's ROAD SHOW!: THE FALL OF FILM MUSICALS IN THE 1960s. Can you think like a producer? For instance, John Woolf, producer of OLIVER!, originally wanted to cast Elizabeth Taylor as Nancy, Richard Burton as Bill Sikes, and Laurence Harvey as Fagin.

And could you guess what role these actresses were considered for, but not cast? List A (and this was probably the A List): Julie Andrews, Audrey Hepburn, Julie Christie. List B (probably not the A List): Polly Bergen, Ann-Margret, Mitzi Gaynor. What role could Polly Bergen and Ann-Margret both be considered for?

Hint: consider the title of the book. Confess, haven't you always wanted to see a Julie Christie musical? Hint#2: Who knows, Julie Christie might have been as good a singer as the woman chosen for the role.

SPOILER BELOW:

Scroll down again while you're thinking . . . .

Guinevere in CAMELOT, played by Vanessa Redgrave.
I wonder why Andrews wasn't cast and non-singer Redgrave got the role? Was she too busy doing other films? Did Jack Warner hold a grudge? Were her salary demands too high?

I did read Road Show and really enjoyed it but don't remember why in this case.

I think I remember part of the reasoning in casting Redgrave was they thought she'd bring in the younger audience (didn't happen). But not sure why Andrews wasn't cast. Did she turn it down or what?
Last edited by Hibi on April 10th, 2023, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Speaking of Redgrave, she told the press after the Barbra/Kate tie win that she could've been the tie breaker as she didn't vote in that category as she hadn't seen all the performances. (that's assuming she'd have voted for one or the other).
Last edited by Hibi on April 10th, 2023, 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: April 10th, 2023, 9:12 am Speaking of Redgrave, she told the press after the Barbra/Kate tie win that she could've been the tie breaker as she didn't vote in that category as she hadn't seen all the performances. (that's assuming she'd have voted for one or the other).
There might have been several others who did not vote in that category, for the same reason, so I wouldn't put it just on Redgrave.

I wonder, though, whether the number of votes Hepburn and Streisand received were exactly the same, or just within a range where they consider it to be a tie.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Swithin wrote: April 10th, 2023, 11:20 am
Hibi wrote: April 10th, 2023, 9:12 am Speaking of Redgrave, she told the press after the Barbra/Kate tie win that she could've been the tie breaker as she didn't vote in that category as she hadn't seen all the performances. (that's assuming she'd have voted for one or the other).
There might have been several others who did not vote in that category, for the same reason, so I wouldn't put it just on Redgrave.

I wonder, though, whether the number of votes Hepburn and Streisand received were exactly the same, or just within a range where they consider it to be a tie.
I know. But she was the only member at the time I remembered saying something like that to the press.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Barbra Streisand and Katherine Hepburn received the exact same number of votes that year: 3,030 votes each.
It was the first exact tie in a principal Oscar category.

When Fredric March (for DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE) and Wallace Beery (for THE CHAMP) tied for the Best Actor award in 1932, Beery had actually received one less vote than March. The rules at the time stated that if any nominated film or artist came within three votes of winning in a principal category, the result would be considered a tie.
The rules had been amended by the time that Streisand and Hepburn shared the Best Actress Oscar to require an exact number of votes for a tie to be declared.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 10th, 2023, 2:12 pm

Barbra Streisand and Katherine Hepburn received the exact same number of votes that year: 3,030 votes each.
It was the first exact tie in a principal Oscar category.

When Fredric March (for DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE) and Wallace Beery (for THE CHAMP) tied for the Best Actor award in 1932, Beery had actually received one less vote than March. The rules at the time stated that if any nominated film or artist came within three votes of winning in a principal category, the result would be considered a tie.
The rules had been amended by the time that Streisand and Hepburn shared the Best Actress Oscar to require an exact number of votes for a tie to be declared.
That's very interesting. How many votes did the other ladies receive? Is that information available? I was actually rooting for Patricia Neal that year. (Even though her 1960s hairdo as a 1940s Bronx housewife was inaccurate.)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Interesting. I hadn't known that either about the Best Actor tie win.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Seeing this next month:

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Intrepid, re: Aldo Ray -- He was pretty much washed up at that time.

Swithin: Tell me about Susan!

Was watching a pbs Nature program called Remarkable Rabbits and couldn't help but think how none of them looked or acted like Bugs Bunny. In the real world these creatures have zero personality. That is why NIGHT OF THE LEPUS is so ridiculous.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 14th, 2023, 1:05 pm
Was watching a pbs Nature program called Remarkable Rabbits and couldn't help but think how none of them looked or acted like Bugs Bunny. In the real world these creatures have zero personality. That is why NIGHT OF THE LEPUS is so ridiculous.
Are you then saying here Bronxie that this flick might've benefitted by having cast Lloyd Nolan somewhere in it? ;)

(...I dunno...maybe the part Paul Fix played in it perhaps?!)