MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Andree

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:46 pm
Welcome Andree!

LOL, that would make a very interesting Road movie.

Thank you. Yes, wouldn't it. The Road to Siberia. Bob and Bing were able to get out of any dangerous situation,
so the Gulag should be no trouble at all.

I like Barbara Stanwyck quite a bit, but I have to admit, in terms of appearance, Alexis Smith was more fetching in
The Two Mrs. Carrolls.

I haven't seen Misty in years, but as a provisional answer I think Jessica would be the more dangerous. You're so
busy staring at her widow's peak she already has you halfway gutted. :smiley_sick:
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 5:06 pm I get that! Overlook the sentimental endearment, but she would be cute. Barbara swinging on a Branch. I can just hear her jungle scream. Move over, Brenda Joyce.
:smiley_cheers:
laffite

Post by laffite »

Andree wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 5:07 pm
Welcome Andree!

[snip]
I like Barbara Stanwyck quite a bit, but I have to admit, in terms of appearance, Alexis Smith was more fetching in
The Two Mrs. Carrolls.

[snip]

With respect, a differing opinion. To be fetching is to be natural and delectable, and with a gentle sweetness. I don't see Alexis quite like that. Not as Cecily Latham anyway. Two cents.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Andree

Post by Andree »

laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 5:20 pm

With respect, a differing opinion. To be fetching is to be natural and delectable, and with a gentle sweetness. I don't see Alexis quite like that. Not as Cecily Latham anyway. Two cents.

I think fetching can refer to both physical appearance and character, so one can have the first without the second.
Alexis certainly was physically attractive, though her character was not gentle or sweet, though she had a certain
sarcastic charm. In most of her movies that I have seen she often was fetching in both respects.

Your signature reminds me of a quote attributed to Robert Mitchum, though I can't vouch for its accuracy. He supposedly
told his new wife that if she stuck with him she'd be ******* through silk. Not the most romantic of phrases. {Somewhat
surprisingly there's no ******* through silk emoji.}
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 5:04 pm [snip]

I wish Katharine Hepburn could have played the lead in The Lady Eve!

But don't tell anyone I said this, this must remain our secret, "Silence to the grave, and even beyond!"
But not so. I say this because I am---shamefully, I'm sure---not a Kate fan in the least. And to my astonishment that might have worked. Oh Kate, you never played the role the would have made me like you better.

Swithin, I chide here, but where did you get that quote? From a Horror flick? I have decided that it is not Shakespeare. But I chide myself, because I like to borrow in this vein. Little turns of phrases successfully veiled, of course. Nothing that would amount to plagiarism, I hope. Me, a plagiarist? I don't have that kind of class. Maybe you improvised it? But no matter. I would admire your judgement in not answering. About the quote, I mean. A mere trifle.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 5:56 pm

But don't tell anyone I said this, this must remain our secret, "Silence to the grave, and even beyond!"
But not so. I say this because I am---shamefully, I'm sure---not a Kate fan in the least. And to my astonishment that might have worked. Oh Kate, you never played the role the would have made me like you better.

Swithin, I chide here, but where did you get that quote? From a Horror flick? I have decided that it is not Shakespeare. But I chide myself, because I like to borrow in this vein. Little turns of phrases successfully veiled, of course. Nothing that would amount to plagiarism, I hope. Me, a plagiarist? I don't have that kind of class. Maybe you improvised it? But no matter. I would admire your judgement in not answering. About the quote, I mean. A mere trifle.
The quote is one of the many hilarious lines in The Lady Eve (1941), spoken by Eric Blore to Henry Fonda, toward the end of the film, and delivered in the way only Eric Blore could deliver a line.

laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:10 pm
laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:00 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 3:42 pm "Edited 10 times in total" laffite, I never did!

That's customary. I have about that many personalities. O heck, I lied. I am trying to make myself sound interesting. I have only one personality and it's a flop.
laffite, do not ever use that four letter word about yourself, lol. ("flop") There is only one description as far as I'm concerned which is "gentleman".

O you do honor me, my gracious Lady. You will accompany me to the Ball as promised? I am dying to see that lovely gown you have been talking about. O, and to meet your husband, of course. All those whispers about assignations, My Heavens! I am much to much of the gentleman to engage in such clandestine activity. Much to much to my eternal chagrin.

[But thanks, I fear my quality as gentleman is only a part time occupation, the rest something less, not so notorious as to be rank, mind you ; though in these days of tarnished civility (not here but in the real world) to be roguishly lamentable in one's morals is to be interestingly admired, but no more admired of course than having no morals at all. To ride a white horse and holding high the sword, crying out "Long Live Chivalry" is but a forlorn and tragic yearning of yestercentury. Try opening a door or lighting a cigarette for someone today is to be he/she who gets slapped.)

And speaking of Barbara's, you are the best one I will ever know.

:smiley_snoopy: Yuck! Too mushy, ya think?

Long Live Chivalry, haven't you been listening?

:smiley_snoopy: :smiley_sick:
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 6:05 pm
laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 5:56 pm

The quote is one of the many hilarious lines in The Lady Eve (1941), spoken by Eric Blore to Henry Fonda, toward the end of the film, and delivered in the way only Eric Blore could deliver a line.

How wonderfully appropriate! Great connection there ; of course lost on poor laffite, ha.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 5:07 pm
Welcome Andree!

Thank you. Yes, wouldn't it. The Road to Siberia. Bob and Bing were able to get out of any dangerous situation,
so the Gulag should be no trouble at all.

The Two Mrs. Carrolls.

I haven't seen Misty in years, but as a provisional answer I think Jessica would be the more dangerous. You're so
busy staring at her widow's peak she already has you halfway gutted. :smiley_sick:

Not Stanny's finest moments in THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS. As for Alexis Smith, I always regarded her as just another Bacall imitation -- lots of 1940's noir style but little substance -- that is, until I saw her brilliantly acidic performance as Mrs. Hallet in THE LITTLE GIRL WHO LIVES DOWN THE LANE. The woman could act! Who knew?

I agree with you about Jessica, lol. I felt sorrier for Clint Eastwood than Michael Douglas.

(is your avatar that British Moor Murder woman Myra Hindley?)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 6:41 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:10 pm
laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:00 pm

That's customary. I have about that many personalities. O heck, I lied. I am trying to make myself sound interesting. I have only one personality and it's a flop.
laffite, do not ever use that four letter word about yourself, lol. ("flop") There is only one description as far as I'm concerned which is "gentleman".

O you do honor me, my gracious Lady. You will accompany me to the Ball as promised? I am dying to see that lovely gown you have been talking about. O, and to meet your husband, of course. All those whispers about assignations, My Heavens! I am much to much of the gentleman to engage in such clandestine activity. Much to much to my eternal chagrin.

[But thanks, I fear my quality as gentleman is only a part time occupation, the rest something less, not so notorious as to be rank, mind you ; though in these days of tarnished civility (not here but in the real world) to be roguishly lamentable in one's morals is to be interestingly admired, but no more admired of course than having no morals at all. To ride a white horse and holding high the sword, crying out "Long Live Chivalry" is but a forlorn and tragic yearning of yestercentury. Try opening a door or lighting a cigarette for someone today is to be he/she who gets slapped.)

And speaking of Barbara's, you are the best one I will ever know.

:smiley_snoopy: Yuck! Too mushy, ya think?

Long Live Chivalry, haven't you been listening?

:smiley_snoopy: :smiley_sick:
Why thank you kind sir. So you are not an unmitigated cad like George Sanders? Good! I am not a fan of the bad boys. I like them rather square, in the manner of a Nelson Eddy. Don't laugh.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 5:04 pm I guess this is where I should chime in and say that thing that used to get me into a little trouble with her fanatical fans on the TCM board: I'm not a big fan of Barbara Stanwyck. I don't think she's a great actress, though I love and enjoy many of her films.

Hello dear Swithin!

No trouble with me about your opinion on Barbara.

Kate is marvelously funny in BRINGING UP BABY but, respectfully, not sure if she could have managed to "repeat" that lightning in THE LADY EVE. Stanwyck could pull off the tough cookie con artist but frankly I can't imagine Hepburn as anything less than, well, naturally swanky.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hello Fedya, jamesjazzguitar and EP Millstone!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Don't know why I'm watching ON THE BEACH. It depresses the hell out of me.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:08 pm Don't know why I'm watching ON THE BEACH. It depresses the hell out of me.
Spoiler alert for the end of the film!

Early in the pandemic, when no one knew how things would end up, I remember looking at the streets of New York, including out of my window on what is usually a vibrant avenue, and thinking of the end of On the Beach, and playing the scene from YouTube again and again. I think in terms of cinema, it's a brilliant ending, though of course depressing, with Ava Gardner looking out toward the submarine as Gregory Peck leaves, followed by the empty streets. In the days when they were setting up hospital beds in Central Park (which actually were only used briefly), I thought, thinking of On the Beach, is that how we're going to end up?
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Swithin wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 5:04 pm I guess this is where I should chime in and say that thing that used to get me into a little trouble with her fanatical fans on the TCM board: I'm not a big fan of Barbara Stanwyck. I don't think she's a great actress, though I love and enjoy many of her films.

There was one poster in particular on the TCM message board who was especially fanatical about Barbara Stanwyck, declaring her on multiple occasions the greatest actress who ever lived.
This poster had a photo of Mrs. Deagle's husband from GREMLINS as his avatar.

Like you, Swithin, I am not wild about her, but I do like many of her movies.

However, I'm not especially fond of Katherine Hepburn either.