MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Annie is a favorite of mine but nobody could out-act Lotte Lenya in that role! Wunderbar!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: May 20th, 2024, 11:16 am
KayFrancis wrote: May 18th, 2024, 9:15 pm Is Jewel Robbery on right now on TCM on anyone else's TV in the East instead of Forty Guns? Ben was with Spielberg introducing Forty Guns then the screen went black for a few minutes then Jewel Robbery showed up. Anyone else experiencing the same ?
YEP! SAME! No 40 Guns! LOL. Dunno what's going on with TCM lately.....

I know, it's crazy, right? Maybe they're spending more money on those silly self-congratulatory all-host segments ("We're one big happy family!" "Hit your lights!") than attending to the basic nuts and bolts...
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on May 20th, 2024, 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

LAND OF THE PHAROAHS -- I guess every great director is entitled to make at least one bad picture in their career.

"Bring the snake in a strong basket"

"The gods of Egypt have spoken!"
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 20th, 2024, 1:59 pm LAND OF THE PHAROAHS -- I guess every great director is entitled to make at least one bad picture in their career.

I still love the ending though. So deliciously ironic. William Faulkner worked on the script!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Isn't that the Joan Collins one? Have always wanted to see it but its seldom shown on TCM and I never seem to catch it when it is shown.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

And Paul Newman's illustrious debut follows: The Silver Chalice! (or as I dub it, The Silver Phallus!) :D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 20th, 2024, 2:00 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 20th, 2024, 1:59 pm LAND OF THE PHAROAHS -- I guess every great director is entitled to make at least one bad picture in their career.

I still love the ending though. So deliciously ironic. William Faulkner worked on the script!
Now there's something to ponder....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 20th, 2024, 2:00 pm

Well it's certainly full of sound and fury...
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

So I suppose Joan Collins is supposed to be one of those Hawks' strong women, lol.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on May 20th, 2024, 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: May 20th, 2024, 2:04 pm Isn't that the Joan Collins one? Have always wanted to see it but its seldom shown on TCM and I never seem to catch it when it is shown.

Yes. But even Joan's machinations and evil schemings are ho-hum if you can believe it.
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: May 20th, 2024, 2:04 pm Isn't that the Joan Collins one? Have always wanted to see it but its seldom shown on TCM and I never seem to catch it when it is shown.
That's the one. Call it Alexis in ancient Egypt, only even more conniving and wicked.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: May 20th, 2024, 2:05 pm And Paul Newman's illustrious debut follows: The Silver Chalice! (or as I dub it, The Silver Phallus!) :D

Another turkey.
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: May 20th, 2024, 2:05 pm And Paul Newman's illustrious debut follows: The Silver Chalice! (or as I dub it, The Silver Phallus!) :D
Oh, yes, the one that he took a big ad out in one of the trade papers to apologize for after it aired on TV after he became a big star. It's a more interesting film than Warners big Helen of Troy film around the same time.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Looking forward to Robert Taylor in QUO VADIS. I like him (and his Nebraska accent) in these kinds of roles, lol.

They should have had SAMSON AND DELILAH on this Mediterrean ticket. Hedy Lamarr's best (i.e. most animated) performance of her entire wooden career.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 20th, 2024, 2:12 pm

Yes. But even Joan's machinations and evil schemings are ho-hum if you can believe it.
LOL!