MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Swithin

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: April 28th, 2023, 11:38 am
Dargo wrote: April 27th, 2023, 6:01 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 27th, 2023, 1:13 pm :smiley_snoopy:

Leave it to you, Dargo! Have mercy, lol. Hey, I actually did see an actor who looked like Snoopy! Was watching IF IT'S TUESDAY, THIS MUST BE BELGIUM, and thought Sandy Baron (the Italian-American tourist looking for his cousin but goes into the wrong house) came close!
Yeah, sure, I remember comic Sandy Baron, Bronxie. He co-hosted the syndicated afternoon Della Reese Show among many other programs he guested on back in the late-'60s and early-'70s. Years later, I think I recall him being on a few 'Seinfeld' episodes as well...

(...and ya know and now that you've mentioned it here, I think I can see what you mean about there being something "Snoopy-esque" about the guy)
Jack Klompas!!!
Sandy Baron was on one of my favorite short-lived television sitcoms of the '60s: Hey, Landlord.

And of course he was one of the comics around the table at the Carnegie Deli in Broadway Danny Rose (1984).

Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Come to think of it, there's probably enough unused band footage of the festival to release another movie. Or album(CD or whatever).

Like:

or;

Or even:

Ohwell....Maybe not. ;)

Sepiatone
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Swithin wrote: April 29th, 2023, 11:24 pm
Hibi wrote: April 28th, 2023, 11:38 am
Dargo wrote: April 27th, 2023, 6:01 pm

Yeah, sure, I remember comic Sandy Baron, Bronxie. He co-hosted the syndicated afternoon Della Reese Show among many other programs he guested on back in the late-'60s and early-'70s. Years later, I think I recall him being on a few 'Seinfeld' episodes as well...

(...and ya know and now that you've mentioned it here, I think I can see what you mean about there being something "Snoopy-esque" about the guy)
Jack Klompas!!!
Sandy Baron was on one of my favorite short-lived television sitcoms of the '60s: Hey, Landlord.

And of course he was one of the comics around the table at the Carnegie Deli in Broadway Danny Rose (1984).

Yes, I remember Hey, Landlord! It only lasted a season but I remember the show and him being in it. He had some small parts in films. I remember a bit in The Out of Towners. I think he was a stand up comic or started out as one.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 28th, 2023, 4:12 am
Forgot to include Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore as being another Scorsese film I really like.
ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE is my favorite Martin Scorsese movie. TAXI DRIVER is a movie that I admire more than I like. I also like Scorsese's later movies with Leonardo DiCaprio, who sort of replaced Robert De Niro as Scorsese's muse/go-to actor ---- although his upcoming KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON features both De Niro and DiCaprio.

I recently re-watched ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE on Watch TCM with the sweetie, who really enjoyed it. For the longest time I was trying to remember what movie I'd seen that had a moment where someone opens a door to another person who says ""Ta da!" and the person then closes the door on the one who said "Ta da!"
I was happy to find that moment (between Alice's son and Alice) when we watched ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Today is the 120th anniversary of Bing Crosby's birth. He is often acknowledged as one of the greatest singers of the 20th century, but what do you think of him as an actor? He was rarely given a chance to be anything on screen but the happy go lucky, laid back nice guy that the public perceived him as.
He even won an Oscar for Going My Way (1944)

He was not often allowed to prove he could do more than that, but he was excellent as the alcoholic, compulsive liar in The Country Girl (1954), if Marlon Brando had not done On The Waterfront that year, Crosby might have had his second Oscar.
The only other time he got a challenging role was his last, a 1971 TV movie called Dr. Cook's Garden, the first time he showed a sinister side in a film.
MissWonderly

Post by MissWonderly »

I apologize for breaking in on this interesting and fun thread, with something that doesn't relate to it at all.
I cannot figure out how to start a new thread myself, so am piggybacking on this one.
anyway...The TCM schedule for Canada is still not up. I am very worried TCM might be discontinuing broadcasting in Canada. The Canadian schedule is usually up by now.
Does anyone here have any information as to this? I do hope TCM is not abandoning its Canadian viewers. That would break my heart.

PS: This is the first time I've posted here for quite a while. (By "here" , I mean this Silver Screen Oasis site.) I'm still interested in engaging in conversations about movies, music, etc., but it's been an exceptionally busy time for me in my personal life, and I've not had much chance to come here and read the threads, let alone post on them. Not that I'm vain enough to think most people have noticed one way or the other, but perhaps a few of my friends from the old TCM chat site may have thought I'd lost interest. Not so.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

MissWonderly wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pm ...Not that I'm vain enough to think most people have noticed one way or the other, but perhaps a few of my friends from the old TCM chat site may have thought I'd lost interest. Not so.
Count me as one of those friends from the old TCM.com days who has indeed been wondering about the lack of your presence here lately, Jan.

(...good to hear you haven't lost interest in the happenings around here) :smiley_cheers:
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

MissWonderly wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pm I apologize for breaking in on this interesting and fun thread, with something that doesn't relate to it at all.
I cannot figure out how to start a new thread myself, so am piggybacking on this one.
anyway...The TCM schedule for Canada is still not up. I am very worried TCM might be discontinuing broadcasting in Canada. The Canadian schedule is usually up by now.
Does anyone here have any information as to this? I do hope TCM is not abandoning its Canadian viewers. That would break my heart.

PS: This is the first time I've posted here for quite a while. (By "here" , I mean this Silver Screen Oasis site.) I'm still interested in engaging in conversations about movies, music, etc., but it's been an exceptionally busy time for me in my personal life, and I've not had much chance to come here and read the threads, let alone post on them. Not that I'm vain enough to think most people have noticed one way or the other, but perhaps a few of my friends from the old TCM chat site may have thought I'd lost interest. Not so.
I checked the TCM website (empty shell that it is since the boards and shop closed) and saw nothing, but then I checked a Canadian website about TV listings and saw that they were indeed showing the same things on TCM up there that they were down here today. So it looks as though the channel is continuing in Canada, but don't always look to TCM's website for help anymore. Rely on your local cable service and local newspaper for details.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

MissWonderly, so great to see you! My friend. I’m going to tell the latest Thompson story which involves police and other happenings, if I can work up the energy.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Might as well fess up and admit I’ve been married to the same mean and hateful woman since 1984, however many years that is, I don’t like to think about it. Yes, several police visits to our apartments. Sunday, I think, we got into another ruckus where she tried to rip my nose and ear off my head. I bleed easy and bled all over everything but got it all stopped finally. Anyway the next day I’ve forgotten about it and decide to not brush my teeth and wash my face to avoid looking in the mirror . And I’m out of beer, gonna have to walk those four lonely blocks there and four back. Better get a bottle too. Anyway, coming back I completely run out steam and sit down on a front stoop. The guy comes home and I tell him just give me a few minutes I’m out of steam (not thinking of course about my nose and ear). Not long after he went inside the police pulled up. They get out the car, man and woman, and I explain that I just live a block and half a way and am simply trying to catch my breath for a few minutes. “WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR NOSE?” says the guy cop. I told him the truth, I told him my wife tried to twist it off my face yesterday. The two walked me home. The guy carried my beer and bottle and the gal held my hand the whole block and a half.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Remember this song lyric MissW —

She stays on her side / And I stay on mine /
We’re both just one too many mornings /
And a thousand miles behind
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thompson wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 9:49 pm The two walked me home. The guy carried my beer and bottle and the gal held my hand the whole block and a half.
A testament for the service law enforcement provides.

My mantra for leaving an unhappy life situation, "This is the first day of the rest of my life" and it WAS.
I faced my fear of being alone and embraced it, made the best of it. Life is too short to waste any of it unnecessarily unhappy.

Guess I learned this from dealing with the weather: freezing cold & tons of snow. Instead of hiding from it, learned to dress correctly & embrace winter sport.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

MissWonderly wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pmThis is the first time I've posted here for quite a while. ... Not that I'm vain enough to think most people have noticed one way or the other, but perhaps a few of my friends from the old TCM chat site may have thought I'd lost interest. Not so.
Good to see a post from you again. I was mostly a lurker over a TCM (daily visits, but only something like 63 posts from 2005 until the closure notice), but liked reading your posts.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

dianedebuda wrote: May 4th, 2023, 8:14 am
MissWonderly wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pmThis is the first time I've posted here for quite a while. ... Not that I'm vain enough to think most people have noticed one way or the other, but perhaps a few of my friends from the old TCM chat site may have thought I'd lost interest. Not so.
Good to see a post from you again. I was mostly a lurker over at TCM (daily visits; only something like 63 posts from 2005 until the closure notice), but liked reading your posts.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:53 pm
MissWonderly wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pm ...Not that I'm vain enough to think most people have noticed one way or the other, but perhaps a few of my friends from the old TCM chat site may have thought I'd lost interest. Not so.
Count me as one of those friends from the old TCM.com days who has indeed been wondering about the lack of your presence here lately, Jan.

(...good to hear you haven't lost interest in the happenings around here) :smiley_cheers:
Me too. I've noticed.