MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Intrepid37

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Intrepid37 »

Andree wrote: March 19th, 2023, 5:51 pmHairy Vince Edwards, what more proof does one want of the theory of evolution. I never watched Casey or Kildare as a kid because I've never like hospital shows. Still don't.
Kildare, I was meh.

But big fan of Ben Casey. I even purchased the 45 of the "Theme From". And I had one of those Ben Casey blouses - met a girl at a Halloween dance who was also wearing one and we dated for a little while.

I remember being flabbergasted when I heard that the gorgeous Bettye Ackerman - who played a doctor on the series - was in real life married to that old Zorba guy. Jeesh, I felt.

Oh, to be 12 again. I wish it could be 1962 forever. Happy days.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hospitals are uninviting enough in real life, so I don't want to see them on TV. I do remember that Casey and Kildare were
popular with teenyboppers who had crushes on Vince Edwards and Richard Chamberlain. Edwards was pretty good at playing
tough guys in some crime flicks in the 1960s.

Sexy Sammy. Yeah, Jaffe lived into his early 90s. There may be snow on the roof....(even if there wasn't a lot of hair). I liked
the 1960s, though on just a personal level, I had more fun in the 1970s. :smiley_shades:
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Andree wrote: March 19th, 2023, 7:42 pmEdwards was pretty good at playing tough guys in some crime flicks in the 1960s.
I must've watched Murder by Contract a dozen times. Fascinated by that one.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 11th, 2023, 12:10 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 9th, 2023, 11:52 am

Speaking of painful slogs, try getting through Woody Allen's ANOTHER WOMAN. Just try.
I saw that one through ...twice. I thought it was very powerful and extremely well acted, but then again I liked a lot of Woody Allen's films, although the last section of his directorial period has been hit and miss.
I've never seen Another Woman, but I do like a lot of Woody Allen's movies.
My favorite of his movies is probably Hannah and Her Sisters (it's one of mom's all-time favorites so I've seen it a lot).

Others I like:
The Purple Rose of Cairo (LOVE THIS ONE!!!)
Love And Death
Sleeper
Manhattan
Interiors
Match Point
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: March 19th, 2023, 9:39 pm

Speaking of painful slogs, try getting through Woody Allen's ANOTHER WOMAN. Just try.
I saw that one through ...twice. I thought it was very powerful and extremely well acted, but then again I liked a lot of Woody Allen's films, although the last section of his directorial period has been hit and miss.
My favorite of his movies is probably Hannah and Her Sisters (it's one of mom's all-time favorites so I've seen it a lot).

Others I like:
Love And Death
Sleeper
Manhattan
Interiors
Match Point
I'm trying to acquire every one of his movies into my collection. Most recently I added Zelig.

He's a brilliant and unique director.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hannah and her Sisters is very funny in spots. One unpleasant element. A man who cheats on his wife by having sex with her sister. Michael Caine as slime.

Radio Days is a big fave. And [as time goes on...] memories get "dimmer and dimmer." And that was in 1982. And now it's 2023. Dimmer and dimmer indeed. WA knew that would play well over time.

Jeff Daniels out of the movie screen on into reality. He tries to use the play money from the movie. He is refused. "What, my money is not good enough for you?" LOL. And it is not a punch line. If you are not paying close attention, you'll miss it.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: March 19th, 2023, 7:42 pm ...I do remember that Casey and Kildare were popular with teenyboppers who had crushes on Vince Edwards and Richard Chamberlain.
In the case of Vince Edwards, that would've been my older sister Diana.

(...and ironically, she'd end up marrying a guy as hirsute as he was)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

laffite wrote: March 19th, 2023, 9:57 pm Hannah and her Sisters is very funny in spots. One unpleasant element. A man who cheats on his wife by having sex with her sister. Michael Caine as slime.
Yeah, but.....Barbara Hershey! I mean, come on - Barbara Hershey! I'd be totally slime too.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Intrepid37 wrote: March 19th, 2023, 7:59 pm

I've seen it a few times. The character he plays is certainly more interesting than the stereotypical hood/killer.
I always found him most believable in those types of roles.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: March 19th, 2023, 10:50 pm
Intrepid37 wrote: March 19th, 2023, 7:59 pm

I've seen it a few times. The character he plays is certainly more interesting than the stereotypical hood/killer.
I always found him most believable in those types of roles.
Thought Vince was also pretty good and well cast in that Hugo Haas flick "Hit and Run" that Eddie Mulder presented a while back, too.

(...he always played "sullen" with the best of 'em)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Intrepid37 wrote: March 19th, 2023, 10:34 pm
laffite wrote: March 19th, 2023, 9:57 pm Hannah and her Sisters is very funny in spots. One unpleasant element. A man who cheats on his wife by having sex with her sister. Michael Caine as slime.
Yeah, but.....Barbara Hershey! I mean, come on - Barbara Hershey! I'd be totally slime too.
Did you forget the emoticon? If not, then yike! I'm sure WA cast Barbara Hershey so that everyone will let Michael Caine's character off the hook.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Andree

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: March 19th, 2023, 10:31 pm

In the case of Vince Edwards, that would've been my older sister Diana.

(...and ironically, she'd end up marrying a guy as hirsute as he was)
Maybe Vince fired up her hairy kink. We used to visit friends of my parents who had a daughter my age. She tortured
me with Herman Hermits records and constant talk about Richard Chamberlain. Oh lord, when will dinner be ready.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Andree wrote: March 19th, 2023, 7:42 pm
Sexy Sammy. Yeah, Jaffe lived into his early 90s. There may be snow on the roof....(even if there wasn't a lot of hair). I liked
the 1960s, though on just a personal level, I had more fun in the 1970s. :smiley_shades:
Jaffe was 47 when he played the waterboy in Gunga Din. That has to be one of the most miscast roles in film history, but Sam does give a very good and moving performance. Why he wasn't promoted after decades of serving the British just shows how unfair life is!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Others I like:
Love And Death
Sleeper
Manhattan
Interiors
Match Point

Welcome, Bagel! (Hello, Gorgeous!) Love your Woody list. I am very fond of those as well, including BROADWAY DANNY ROSE.

I will probably check out ANOTHER WOMAN again just to see if my initial negative response was justified.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Others I like:
Love And Death
Sleeper
Manhattan
Interiors
Match Point
I love HANNAH AND HER SISTERS.
The first time I saw it (in the early 2000s), I felt that, in the the scene where the three sisters have lunch at the restaurant, Holly (Dianne Wiest's character) was correct when she said Hannah (Mia Farrow) was discouraging even though Hannah insisted she was only trying to offer constructive advice. When I watched the movie again about 10 years later, I wondered if my allegation would have shifted. But I found that I was still Team Holly.
That restaurant scene is brilliantly written, acted and directed. One of my favorite lines in the movie is the response of the middle sister Lee (Barbara Hershey) to Hannah when Hannah asks about Holly, who has not yet arrived:
"You know Holly. When she’s depressed, she’s manic."

Holly is my favorite character in the movie, and Dianne Wiest is wonderful in the role (for which she received a Best Supporting Actress Oscar).
I love her scenes with Woody Allen's character Mickey especially their disastrous first date and the scene where they meet again by chance at the record store.

In general, I'm not a fan of voiceovers in movies, but they work in HANNAH AND HER SISTERS to convey the thoughts of multiple characters.