MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
HoldenIsHere

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by HoldenIsHere »

kingrat wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 1:12 pm On the subject of unfortunate names: I knew a woman named Gay Camp, and a friend had taught a student named Gay Dìck.
Dick Sargent's real name was Richard Cox.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

kingrat wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 1:12 pm On the subject of unfortunate names: I knew a woman named Gay Camp, and a friend had taught a student named Gay Dìck.
When I first met my in-laws, they told me about their immediate neighbors- the Cox family and the Dix family.
I quipped “You’re surrounded by Cox & Dix?” but was the only one who found it funny.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

TikiSoo wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 8:00 am
When I first met my in-laws, they told me about their immediate neighbors- the Cox family and the Dix family.
I quipped “You’re surrounded by Cox & Dix?” but was the only one who found it funny.
LMREO!!! I would've laughed.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

dianedebuda wrote: April 1st, 2024, 11:04 am I watched Goodbye Charlie (1964) last night. Maybe I was just in the mood for some mindless fun, but I enjoyed it. Better than the 1.5 star rating I saw for it; I'd give it a 2 or maybe 2.5. I was 15 when it came out, so maybe that had something to do with being able to slip back into the era of that kind of comedy. I thought Walter Matthau overplayed his character on purpose and was a hoot. Pat Boone was a good fit for his character IMO.

So Bronxie (if I may use Dargo's tag for you), you have company here.

Hi, Mommy Bunny! I am honored to be called Bronxie.

So good to know I am not really alone as regards GOODBYE CHARLIE, with you and CI. I also remember that era with nostalgia. Agree of course about Matthau and Pat Boone.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

A SLIGHTLY PREGNANT MAN -- Announcer: "Make womb for Turner Classic Movies tonight"
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Wasn't Joanne Dru married to John Ireland?

I will say no more, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi, I kind of like TAKE HER, SHE'S MINE but it's creepy what with James Stewart being so obsessed over daughter Sandra Dee's virginity. Robert Morley's dry British wit is welcome, though. There's a running gag throughout the movie -- everyone thinks Jimmy is Jimmy Stewart the actor, lol. Morley sees him walking out of a hotel and exclaims to a passerby: "Do you know who that is? James Stewart! (sighs) Will you ever forget him in GONE WITH THE WIND?"

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS is all camp as far as I'm concerned, lol. But that's much better than being dull; i.e., THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

txfilmfan wrote: March 31st, 2024, 12:24 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 30th, 2024, 5:57 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: March 30th, 2024, 12:55 am

It looks like GOODBYE CHARLIE didn't make it to Watch TCM so it doesn't look like I'm going to get to see it tonight as I hoped.
Maybe I'll rent it one day if the price is right.

Bronxgirl, I also love WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? although I do feel bad for the rabbits.
If it's on Watch TCM, I'd love to share it with the sweetie and see the reaction to the ending with Shelley Winters playing the piano.

GOODBYE CHARLIE is worth seeing but around here I'm the only person who thinks so, lol.

Oh, yes, Helen and her bunnies. Poor creatures. Not "goodie-goodie" for them.

Love Debbie's dancing!
Noticed that it will be on FXM on 11 April. My DVR records things regardless of channel, so it picks up other showings unless I cancel the recording.

I want your honest opinion! (don't be like Felix Bressart in THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER running up the stairs when Frank Morgan asks that of his employees, lol)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Please tell me why I was so upset seeing Fred Astaire squeezing a rabbit very tightly by the ears in EASTER PARADE.

Okay it was a stuffed bunny but still.....lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Oh my gosh, TCM is running ONE TOUCH OF VENUS April 6th!! I thought they never would!! I had almost given up hope!!

It is a charming fantasy starring Ava Gardner as the ancient goddess of love who comes to life after Robert Walker kisses her department store statue.

Haven't seen this in ages!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:17 pm Wasn't Joanne Dru married to John Ireland?

I will say no more, lol.
Yes and she divorced him when he slept with Joanie during Queen Bee!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:31 pm Hibi, I kind of like TAKE HER, SHE'S MINE but it's creepy what with James Stewart being so obsessed over daughter Sandra Dee's virginity. Robert Morley's dry British wit is welcome, though. There's a running gag throughout the movie -- everyone thinks Jimmy is Jimmy Stewart the actor, lol. Morley sees him walking out of a hotel and exclaims to a passerby: "Do you know who that is? James Stewart! (sighs) Will you ever forget him in GONE WITH THE WIND?"

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS is all camp as far as I'm concerned, lol. But that's much better than being dull; i.e., THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD.
It's been so long since I've seen Take Her I can't remember much about it! I think Elizabeth Ashley played the part on Broadway (not Jimmy's role!)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: April 4th, 2024, 1:45 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:31 pm Hibi, I kind of like TAKE HER, SHE'S MINE but it's creepy what with James Stewart being so obsessed over daughter Sandra Dee's virginity. Robert Morley's dry British wit is welcome, though. There's a running gag throughout the movie -- everyone thinks Jimmy is Jimmy Stewart the actor, lol. Morley sees him walking out of a hotel and exclaims to a passerby: "Do you know who that is? James Stewart! (sighs) Will you ever forget him in GONE WITH THE WIND?"

It's been so long since I've seen Take Her I can't remember much about it! I think Elizabeth Ashley played the part on Broadway (not Jimmy's role!)

Take Her, She's Mine (which I haven't seen in decades)
reminds me of Never Too Late, another pleasant '60s film with a great cast based on a '60s Broadway play. Probably the kind of thing that would be a TV movie now, without being on Broadway first. These films are evocative of another era, even more so than '30s films. But they're enjoyable.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 11:08 pm Oh my gosh, TCM is running ONE TOUCH OF VENUS April 6th!! I thought they never would!! I had almost given up hope!!

It is a charming fantasy starring Ava Gardner as the ancient goddess of love who comes to life after Robert Walker kisses her department store statue.

You can thank Martin Scorsese for that one. The next few Saturdays are part of a director-programmed double-feature (mostly of newer films; indeed one director chose a double feature of 1991's [wonderful] The Fisher King and 2008's Synecdoche New York), and that was one of his two picks. So glad it makes you happy. :)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 4th, 2024, 4:27 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 11:08 pm Oh my gosh, TCM is running ONE TOUCH OF VENUS April 6th!! I thought they never would!! I had almost given up hope!!

You can thank Martin Scorsese for that one. The next few Saturdays are part of a director-programmed double-feature (mostly of newer films; indeed one director chose a double feature of 1991's [wonderful] The Fisher King and 2008's Synecdoche New York), and that was one of his two picks. So glad it makes you happy. :)
On Saturday 6/22/24, the two movies chosen by Todd Haynes are:

THE GO-BETWEEN (1971)
SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY (1971)

I really hope the version of THE GO-BETWEEN that's shown isn't the pan-and-scan print that TCM aired previously.
The movie has a great screenplay by Harold Pinter and a wonderful performance by Julie Christie, but when we watched it on TCM the sweetie commented "This looks like an old VHS recording."