Oscar Nominations

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Feinberg

Re: Oscar Nominations

Post by Feinberg »

MissWonderly wrote: March 13th, 2023, 5:36 pm
Agreed, "Tar" is a great film. But I suspect it demands too much close attention from the audience, it's too cerebral, to be a popular choice.
Yes indeed. The Oscars rarely honor performances by those portraying unsympathetic characters. Another reason why their interpretation of "acting excellence" is entirely suspect.

I thought Curtis was okay in Everything, Everywhere but beyond that ... nah. And to say that film had the three best performances out of only four in total categories is a complete joke.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

SO glad I didn't watch. I had it on picture in picture so I could switch over to see some of the wins, but when it was obvious it was going to be a LuvFest for Everything. I didn't bother. I kept it on long enough to see the In Memoriam and then switched it off. I guess the Academy can pat itself on the back now that Asians have been the winners. I haven't seen the film but I did record it off Showtime. Just not that enthused to watch it right now. Have a feeling I'll hate it.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Speaking of the In Memoriam, once again the Oscars botched it (no surprise). What was the deal with the focus? They couldn't focus on both sets of pictures? Didn't give you much time to see who was out of focus. At one point it shifted to a long shot where you couldn't even see who they were!

And Raquel Welch got the next to last slot over ANGELA LANSBURY?????

And once again NO LOVE for Sally! Dozens of people the general public never heard of, but an OSCAR NOMINEE in an ICONIC role doesn't make the cut!!! They must really dislike her. I guess I wasn't surprised since TCM snubbed her too.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

They also passed on Jean Louis Trintignant Paul Sorvino and others
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

nakanosunplaza wrote: March 14th, 2023, 9:43 am They also passed on Jean Louis Trintignant Paul Sorvino and others
I know. A lot of others. But you'd think an Oscar nominee would make the cut. But then they passed over Dorothy Malone (an Oscar WINNER) a few years back.
drednm

Post by drednm »

no in memoriam

SALLY KELLERMAN (maybe she was in last year's?), PAUL SORVINO, CINDY WILLIAMS, ROBERT BLAKE, STELLA STEVENS, LESLIE JORDAN, FRED WARD, MARSHA HUNT......
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2023, 8:33 am Speaking of the In Memoriam, once again the Oscars botched it (no surprise). What was the deal with the focus? They couldn't focus on both sets of pictures? Didn't give you much time to see who was out of focus. At one point it shifted to a long shot where you couldn't even see who they were!

And once again NO LOVE for Sally! Dozens of people the general public never heard of, but an OSCAR NOMINEE in an ICONIC role doesn't make the cut!!! They must really dislike her. I guess I wasn't surprised since TCM snubbed her too.

Who is the Sally you are referring to? I was really surprised they did not include Stella Stevens, they can't say it was timing since Raquel Welch was included and Stella passed on just days after her.
EDIT- I see now, Sally Kellerman, I didn't see the last post in time.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 13th, 2023, 2:15 pm
Sepiatone wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:25 am Due to me not seeing any of the movies that may have been nominated or any of the people in those movies that may have been nominated I'll be looking at something else tonight.
A sister in law of mine though, and who hates Jimmy Kimmel with a passion said she'd watch if it was guaranteed that someone would walk up on the stage and slap the snot out of Jimmy Kimmel .

Your sister-in-law could probably benefit from professional counseling.
Many counselors offer family rates.
Obviously a Kimmel fan. And one who needs to expand their sense of humor. :roll:

Sepiatone
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:45 am
Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2023, 8:33 am Speaking of the In Memoriam, once again the Oscars botched it (no surprise). What was the deal with the focus? They couldn't focus on both sets of pictures? Didn't give you much time to see who was out of focus. At one point it shifted to a long shot where you couldn't even see who they were!

Who is the Sally you are referring to? I was really surprised they did not include Stella Stevens, they can't say it was timing since Raquel Welch was included and Stella passed on just days after her.
EDIT- I see now, Sally Kellerman, I didn't see the last post in time.
Sally Kellerman "Hot Lips". I'd forgotten about Stella Stevens too.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

drednm wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:43 am no in memoriam

SALLY KELLERMAN (maybe she was in last year's?), PAUL SORVINO, CINDY WILLIAMS, ROBERT BLAKE, STELLA STEVENS, LESLIE JORDAN, FRED WARD, MARSHA HUNT......
No, she wasn't in last years. She just died last fall. (Kellerman)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

To nominate Tom Cruise for Top Gun would have felt overly generous.... but at the same time there was a real void on the last slot in Best Actor this year (just as there has been in some other years of recent date), so I am surprised that he didn't have enough momentum to take down young Paul Mescal, who was in a film beloved in the indie circuit but otherwise little seen by many.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I was reading today an explanation on why so many actors have been left out of In Memoriam in recent years and more and more technical/business people are included (that most of the public have never heard of and don't care about). There is now a committee composed of people from all fields in Hollywood that decides who gets "in" so that one category doesn't get more of a "share" of the Memoriam pie! Never mind that the public only cares about stars or well known directors etc. It's no wonder the segment has become a big snoozefest. Why not put the unknowns (outside of Hollywood) in the off screen list on the Academy's website? And they wonder why the show gets low ratings???
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2023, 2:21 pm I was reading today an explanation on why so many actors have been left out of In Memoriam in recent years and more and more technical/business people are included (that most of the public have never heard of and don't care about). There is now a committee composed of people from all fields in Hollywood that decides who gets "in" so that one category doesn't get more of a "share" of the Memoriam pie! Never mind that the public only cares about stars or well known directors etc. It's no wonder the segment has become a big snoozefest. Why not put the unknowns (outside of Hollywood) in the off screen list on the Academy's website? And they wonder why the show gets low ratings???
I've heard that in the last few years, they have had far more new Academy voters who work in behind-the-scenes fields, and I'm not talking about directors or writers here, but those in almost completely unseen fields, and now they are a larger voting block than the actors, directors, and writers combined. It's very odd.....
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2023, 12:39 pm
drednm wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:43 am no in memoriam

No, she wasn't in last years. She just died last fall. (Kellerman)
Sally Kellerman actually passed away early last year and was included (very briefly) in last year's Oscar in memorium at about the 1:46 mark.