Post by Hibi »

Hibi

Re: Oscar Nominations

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

assorted notes:
Women Talking is the first film from Orion Pictures to be up for an Oscar since 1997's Ulee's Gold, and the first from that company to be up for Best Picture since 1991's The Silence of the Lambs.

Cinematography has two lone nomination contenders (Bardo, Empire of Light) for the first time since 2005.

There are 16 first-time acting nominees; the last time that number was so high was in 1936.

Judd Hirsch breaks Henry Fonda's old record for longest gap between acting nominations

Andrea Risebourough is the first Best Actress nominee without any major precursor attention since Jane Fonda for The Morning After in 1986.

For the first time, we have a Nobel Prize winner as an Oscar nominee: Kazuo Ishiguro for writing the script to Living.

All Quiet on the Western Front has the second highest nomination total for any foreign-language film in Academy history.

In music, John Williams extended his own record for the longest period to receive Oscar nominations over: 55 years. His first nod was for Valley of the Dolls.

Blonde becomes only the fifth NC-17/X film to score an acting nomination following Last Summer, Midnight Cowboy, Last Tango in Paris, and Requiem for a Dream (which later surrendered its rating).

In memorium note: With Glass Onion getting a Script nomination, Angela Lansbury, who has a cameo in the film, posthumously becomes the first actress to begin (1944's Gaslight) and end her film career with an Oscar nominated film.
drednm

Post by drednm »

Overall reaction: bleh
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I'm curious to see Everything Everywhere All at Once, because I don't know anyone who has liked it, and a few friends have actually hated it!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Orion Pictures still exists???
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Swithin wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:13 pm I'm curious to see Everything Everywhere All at Once, because I don't know anyone who has liked it, and a few friends have actually hated it!
The title alone makes me want to hate it!!!
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Swithin wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:13 pm I'm curious to see Everything Everywhere All at Once, because I don't know anyone who has liked it, and a few friends have actually hated it!
It's very hyper, and loud, and long, and sentimental, and, for me, a lot less clever than it thinks it is. It's also very silly, maybe the silliest Best Picture candidate that I can recall that isn't considered a comedy.

I was very underwhelmed by it, and on paper it sounds like something that would be right up my alley.
Watching until the end.
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:15 pm Orion Pictures still exists???
It was brought back in 2014
CinemaInternational

LawrenceA wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:22 pm
It's very hyper, and loud, and long, and sentimental, and, for me, a lot less clever than it thinks it is. It's also very silly, maybe the silliest Best Picture candidate that I can recall that isn't considered a comedy.

I was very underwhelmed by it, and on paper it sounds like something that would be right up my alley.
I am still trying to wrap my head about the fact that it will likely win Best Picture. I do not get the appeal at all.
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:16 pm
The film is astonishingly thin in the story department for a 138 minute film, and it then bombards viewers with frantic visual tricks to help people not to notice. It almost made my eyes bleed from the pain of the visual onslaught.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

For anyone interested in nominated short films, I've found these available online:

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse is on Apple+

Le Pupille is on Disney+

The Elephant Whisperers and The Martha Mitchell Effect are on Netflix

My Year of Dicks
The Flying Sailor
Night Ride
Stranger at the Gate
Haulout

are all currently up on YouTube, although I haven't watched them yet, so I can't verify if they are unedited.
Watching until the end.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:26 pm
Hibi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:15 pm Orion Pictures still exists???
It was brought back in 2014
Wow. I'm behind the times.......
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:30 pm
Hibi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:16 pm
The film is astonishingly thin in the story department for a 138 minute film, and it then bombards viewers with frantic visual tricks to help people not to notice. It almost made my eyes bleed from the pain of the visual onslaught.

I'll pass.......
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

My two favorites of the year made it, Banshees Of Inisherin and Tar which both proved there can still be originality in cinema today