Western Soundtracks

Belle

Re: Western Soundtracks

Post by Belle »

Superb film, fabulous director!!

Wonderful film, all-time fabulous director/beloved hero of mine, Howard Hawks!!

GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

You didn't mention any limits,so..... :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Sepiatone
Oneeyeopen

Post by Oneeyeopen »

Honoralbe mentions:

The Magnificent 7 (60's version)
Belle

Post by Belle »

I find this one very powerfully evocative. Wayne really appreciated the scores of Victor Young. Merian C. Cooper, Producer, was an extraordinary individual, if anybody wants to find out about him.

Ford used Archie Stout as Second Unit with Bert Glennon as principal Cinematographer. Ford's buddies told him Stout was over-the-hill but he'd recently lost his only son in WW2 and Ford insisted "he's going to have this job". John Ford was very loyal to his friends!!

The very best biography I've ever read (and I've read LOTS) was about John Ford, written by Joseph McBride. Absolutely brilliantly written and researched.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
Belle

Post by Belle »

Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Sepiatone
Belle

Post by Belle »

"El Dorado". Those pictures from this title sequence were later to be found in director Hawks's home!! You can see them in the interview I posted from 1977. "The godliest mortal you ever will know is the one with the dream of El Dorado". How true.

I played this film for 14 year olds before the Christmas holidays one year at school, for my English students. Two boys came up to me; one said, "I love that song, miss" and another, "thank you for showing me cinema I would never would otherwise have seen"!!

Anecdote #1: I've been an obsessive Hawksian since I was 15. A boy who was keen on me took me to the pictures to see this film in 1966 - but all I was interested in was this film, John Wayne and Howard Hawks!! The poor fellow just couldn't trump that trifecta!!

Anecdote #2: Spouse and myself lived in Vienna for a year in 2011. One day on a train from Krems to Vienna we were sitting with some friends from home who were visiting us and four Austrians were seated in the seats in front, speaking in English. One said, "Howard Hawks's 'Monkey Business"" and I stopped him as he was getting off the train and said - out of the blue - 'Only one of my favourite films from Hawks!". We both laughed.
Belle

Post by Belle »

"Cimarron". An excellent western (one of my favourites) directed by the great Anthony Mann:

And another from the same fabulous director, "The Furies". A stunning film!!

Belle

Post by Belle »

"Forty Guns", 1957, Samuel Fuller. Terrific director, excellent film. Here it is; the whole film, restored and in Widescreen and beautiful, velvet black and white!!

Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

A great score by John Williams that too often gets sadly overlooked.

Sepiatone
Belle

Post by Belle »

"Santa Fe Trail", 1940, Michael Curtiz. A terrific film and here is the complete restoration on U-Tube. It's a great yarn and I note Special Effects by Byron Haskin who went on to become a well-known noir director!!

Belle

Post by Belle »

"Broken Lance", 1954 Edward Dmytryk. A very fine film!!

In this opening title sequence you'll hear the full splendour of the Hollywood Fox orchestra!! Just phenomenal. Of course, most of the musicians were from the LA Philharmonic!! But they were able to draw a distinctive sound for film music. You'll recall hearing some of that style and sound with Fox musicals, eg. "South Pacific".
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Belle wrote: May 11th, 2023, 12:25 am "Santa Fe Trail", 1940, Michael Curtiz. A terrific film and here is the complete restoration on U-Tube. It's a great yarn and I note Special Effects by Byron Haskin who went on to become a well-known noir director!!
Byron Haskin directed two noirs that I know of, both with Lizabeth Scott; I Walk Alone with Lancaster and Douglas (their first film together), and Too Late for Tears with Dan Duryea and Arthur Kennedy.

I Walk Alone has a lot to offer but I dislike what I find to be a traditional 30s gangster film type ending instead of a 40s film noir ending. Also, Scott doesn't have a lot to do, and I find her acting lacking in this film.

Too Late for Tears is Liz Scott as one of the all-time cold blooded femme fatales, outdoing iconic noir actor Dan Duryea in terms of being willing to do anything to get what she wants.