Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
laffite

Conrad Veidt

Post by laffite »

Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
scsu1975

Re: Conrad Veidt

Post by scsu1975 »

You might want to check out Different From the Others (1919), in which Veidt plays a gay character. There are some clips online.
laffite

Post by laffite »

scsu1975 wrote: February 7th, 2023, 11:12 pm You might want to check out Different From the Others (1919), in which Veidt plays a gay character. There are some clips online.
For the record, I am straight.

Thanks Rich for the mention. I will have a look. Amazing actor and screen presence galore.
Last edited by laffite on February 8th, 2023, 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: February 7th, 2023, 10:44 pm
Have to say, considering the thought that so many of this great actor and from all reports an extremely genteel, refined and courageous gentleman's early silent films are now considered lost, this montage surprised me with the number of clips it was able to contain.

(...hope you don't mind that I quoted your post here, laffite)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: February 8th, 2023, 1:14 am
Have to say, considering the thought that so many of this great actor and from all reports an extremely genteel, refined and courageous gentleman's early silent films are now considered lost, this montage surprised me with the number of clips it was able to contain.

(...hope you don't mind that I quoted your post here, laffite)
Dargo, I meant that it was only two threads that I did not want to be quoted. FIRST FILM THAT COME TO MIND and FIRST ACTRESS/ACTOR COMES TO MIND. The anticipation of clicking on NOTIFICATION goes bad when I discover it's a mere clue. Those two threads to my thinking are not substantive, they pale in interest with a notification that deals with movies, conversations, etc. I am deeply unhappy to think that this misunderstanding is out there. I had another one of these from another poster. I want to clear this up so I may make a brief posting in the SIGNATURE field so as to disabuse others here of this annoying misconception. Not your fault, Dargo. It's my fault, in my frustration, I did not make myself clear in the first place.

Yeah, I didn't even know that he made so many silents. I imagine that some of the clips were excerpts from movies under that lamentable category, i.e., Presumed Lost.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Thanks for the clarification.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I stopped by his niche when visiting Judy & Joan among several others at Ferncliff just outside of NYC-

Nice that someone published this photo of the inside-

sagebrush

Post by sagebrush »

For anyone who is interested, the author of this YouTube channel, Monika Ilie-Prica, has a website dedicated to Conrad Veidt: https://conradveidt.wordpress.com/. :D
Belle

Post by Belle »

Does anybody know what film this picture comes from please? (And how do you embed the film into the message, rather than provide a link?)
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Belle wrote: May 1st, 2023, 1:09 am Does anybody know what film this picture comes from please? (And how do you embed the film into the message, rather than provide a link?)
I edited the post to add the image tags for you, Belle. Please click the edit button (or quote your own post) to see how it was done for future reference! :) Basically just put the link between two code tags, like this, only without the spaces:[ img]linktoimage.jpg[ /img]
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Belle wrote: May 1st, 2023, 1:09 am Image

Does anybody know what film this picture comes from please? (And how do you embed the film into the message, rather than provide a link?)
A Woman's Face
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

My favorite of all the German ex-pats!
Belle

Post by Belle »

Lomm wrote: May 1st, 2023, 6:40 am
Belle wrote: May 1st, 2023, 1:09 am Does anybody know what film this picture comes from please? (And how do you embed the film into the message, rather than provide a link?)
I edited the post to add the image tags for you, Belle. Please click the edit button (or quote your own post) to see how it was done for future reference! :) Basically just put the link between two code tags, like this, only without the spaces:[ img]linktoimage.jpg[ /img]
Thank you so much; I see it now.

Always a huge thrill to talk about, think about and watch Conrad Veidt. I've discovered him late in life but better late than never!! I'm looking for restorations of "The Men in Her Life", "Whistling in the Dark", "Escape" and "A Woman's Face". Can't find any. Also, I have a George Cukor biography and it mentions the film but not Conrad Veidt, unlike the Michael Powell book I have - whom I'll quote in a separate posting below this.

Waiting for the definitive biography of Veidt, but with the passage of time and no living relatives that will prove difficult. His daughter Viola died without having had children and Veidt's only sibling, a brother, died in 1900, aged 9.
Belle

Post by Belle »

British director Michael Powell, quoted in "I Live Cinema: The Life and Films of Michael Powell", James Howard, 2017:

About Conrad Veidt: "One of the most romantic and magnetic men alive" (p.361) and "For us he was the great German cinema. Only in English did he lose his magnificent authority, walking like a tongue-tied Samson among the Philistines" (94).

These were both moving comments from Powell about Veidt, whom he loved.

Belle

Post by Belle »

Watch here from 9:30. Anita Berber seems to get the vapours when she's kissed by the 26year old Veidt: I would have too!!!