Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
LostHorizons

Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by LostHorizons »

ziggy6708a wrote: December 4th, 2022, 7:15 pm What happened to "Silent Sunday" ??
:?:
I saw that too. Looks like it was pushed off for a Pam Grier perspective. Did she die or something?
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

LostHorizons wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:15 pm
ziggy6708a wrote: December 4th, 2022, 7:15 pm What happened to "Silent Sunday" ??
I saw that too. Looks like it was pushed off for a Pam Grier perspective. Did she die or something?
No. They're promoting their latest podcast series, and she's the subject of said podcasts.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

txfilmfan wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:38 pm
No. They're promoting their latest podcast series, and she's the subject of said podcasts.
They didn’t really need to pre-empt other scheduled programs for something like that. Usually they only do it when said actor has died and they can’t fit in a perspective at a better date.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

LostHorizons wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:40 pm

They didn’t really need to pre-empt other scheduled programs for something like that. Usually they only do it when said actor has died and they can’t fit in a perspective at a better date.
It's not just a Pam Grier thing, apparently. The schedule called out a special for today called "'70s Black Icons"

https://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/ ... source=HTM

Not sure why it preempts the regular schedule, though. Looks like there are only two silent films on the schedule for December.
  • Christmas Past on 12/11
  • The King of Kings on 12/18
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

txfilmfan wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:50 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:40 pm

It's not just a Pam Grier thing, apparently. The schedule called out a special for today called "'70s Black Icons"

https://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/ ... source=HTM

Not sure why it preempts the regular schedule, though. Looks like there are only two silent films on the schedule for December.
  • Christmas Past on 12/11
  • The King of Kings on 12/18
The King of Kings is a great one which they show yearly. Without checking the schedule, I would wager the pre-empted film today was the silent Ben Hur (1925) which they show almost every year in December.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

was "mr6666" @ TCM
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

That makes me wish I still had TCM. I'd like to see that doc. Maybe I can find it online somewhere.

According to Letterboxd, I've seen more films with music by Steiner than any other composer (163 films).
Watching until the end.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

LawrenceA wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:28 pm That makes me wish I still had TCM. I'd like to see that doc. Maybe I can find it online somewhere.

According to Letterboxd, I've seen more films with music by Steiner than any other composer (163 films).
According to reelgood.com, it's only available on HBOmax right now. There apparently was a Blu-Ray release in 2021. Maybe your local library snagged a copy?

Ray Faiola, who was a frequent poster on the old TCM forum, provides the voice of Max Steiner in the documentary.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

LawrenceA wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:28 pm That makes me wish I still had TCM. I'd like to see that doc. Maybe I can find it online somewhere.

Update: I found it on Vimeo (via this link: https://www.torontofilmmagazine.com/pos ... ovie-music...)

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

ziggy6708a wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:07 pm
I hope I remember to watch! Will it be repeated later in the evening?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:48 pm

According to reelgood.com, it's only available on HBOmax right now. There apparently was a Blu-Ray release in 2021. Maybe your local library snagged a copy?

Ray Faiola, who was a frequent poster on the old TCM forum, provides the voice of Max Steiner in the documentary.
Wow! Interesting! Did he join this site?
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

txfilmfan wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:48 pm

Thanks for the research! I have HBO Max, so I'll watch it on there.
Watching until the end.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Hibi wrote: December 6th, 2022, 5:05 pm
ziggy6708a wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:07 pm
I hope I remember to watch! Will it be repeated later in the evening?
Yes, repeats @12:15 am (ET)
:smiley_clap:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: December 6th, 2022, 5:06 pm
txfilmfan wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:48 pm According to reelgood.com, it's only available on HBOmax right now. There apparently was a Blu-Ray release in 2021. Maybe your local library snagged a copy?

Wow! Interesting! Did he join this site?
Ray Faiola has been a member of The Silver Screen Oasis since 2007. Here's the link to The Max Steiner Pages on his website Chelsea Rialto Studios.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Ray Faiola

Post by Ray Faiola »

Thanks for sharing the Linx! Yes, I've been stranded on the Oasis for a wee bit now. And with TCM chloroforming it's boards it is even more of an oasis!
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com