Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jdb1

Coming Up on TCM

Post by jdb1 »

Hey, Gang,

I see that on Saturday, 7/7 at 10 PM TCM is running Road Show.

This Hal Roach movie has most of the same people who were in the wonderful Turnabout, with the addition of some other excellent screwball comedy players: Patsy Kelly, Shemp Howard, the the wry and deadpan Charles Butterworth.

I'm not familiar with this one, but the reviews posted on IMDb point to it being pretty darn funny, so I'm giving us all a heads up.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

A book I have calls it a "completely mad, amusing farce." It also lists Roach, his son and another man as directors.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Re Wednesday's (Sept. 12) schedule. What's the theme? Looks like students and teachers.

In any event, I'd like to point out to you a nice little film being shown Wednesday at 1:00 PM, "Billie" (ca. 1965), with Patty Duke. I remember this as a very entertaining family film about a teenage girl who is trying desperately to get her father's attention, in this case by being a star school athlete. There's also some teenage romance, and Duke sings a song called, if I remember correctly, "Butterflies," or "Funny Little Butterflies," although this is not a musical. Duke is very good in this movie, and brings it up a notch over the standard teen fare of the period with her performance.
Moraldo Rubini

School Daze

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

jdb1 wrote:Re Wednesday's (Sept. 12) schedule. What's the theme? Looks like students and teachers.
Judith, September is "Back to School" month. Every Wednesday TCM is featuring movies about teachers. Nice, eh?
jdb1

Re: School Daze

Post by jdb1 »

Thanks, Marco. Just goes to show that I hardly even read what's on the TCM site any more, save for the schedule.

There are so many movies that had classroom scenes - TCM is only scratching the surface here, but some of what they've got listed is certainly worth a look. With its access to the Hal Roach library, I hope TCM will give us a few shorts with "school daze" themes.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

JohnM wrote:
jdb1 wrote:Re Wednesday's (Sept. 12) schedule. What's the theme? Looks like students and teachers.

In any event, I'd like to point out to you a nice little film being shown Wednesday at 1:00 PM, "Billie" (ca. 1965), with Patty Duke. I remember this as a very entertaining family film about a teenage girl who is trying desperately to get her father's attention, in this case by being a star school athlete. There's also some teenage romance, and Duke sings a song called, if I remember correctly, "Butterflies," or "Funny Little Butterflies," although this is not a musical. Duke is very good in this movie, and brings it up a notch over the standard teen fare of the period with her performance.
You're correct about the song. She also sings "Lonely In-Between" and "A Girl Is A Girl". There is also a song called "Billie". I've had this film on laserdisc, for years., although I haven't watched it in years. Nice to see it getting some air play!
I don't remember "Lonely In-Between," but now that you mention it, I recall "A Girl is a Girl" ("is a genuine girl!") - I remember it being sung as a sort of fight song/marching tune at the end.

What has stuck with me all these years is Jim Backus, as the father, congratulating Billie on her athletic accomplishments, and calling her "Son." Oh, the expression on poor Patty's face; that had to hurt.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Saw a trailer for "Vivacious Lady" tonight. Looks like it's a sub for what is listed in the "Now Playing" guide. It's due Friday the 21st at 6:15pm.

Jimmy Stewart, Ginger Rogers, Charles Coburn. Very funny and enjoyable film. It has the famous slap fest with Rogers and Frances Mercer.
Chris

sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

movieman1957 wrote:Saw a trailer for "Vivacious Lady" tonight. Looks like it's a sub for what is listed in the "Now Playing" guide. It's due Friday the 21st at 6:15pm.
Tomorrow's entire day schedule is different than the Now Playing Guide, with the exception of "The Bamboo Blonde" at 6 am. All the Andy Hardy movies are gone. These are the replacements:

6:00 am - The Bamboo Blonde
7:15 AM - Du Barry Was A Lady (1943)
9:00 AM - Destination Murder (1950)
10:15 AM - The Devil Makes Three (1952)
12:00 PM - Nora Prentiss (1947)
2:00 PM - Love Me Or Leave Me (1955)
4:15 PM - Gilda (1946)
6:15 PM - Vivacious Lady (1937)

WHAT is going on in TCM programming land lately? What is the point of having the Now Playing guide if the schedule is going to be filled with substitutions? Monday's day lineup was rescheduled as well. I can understand about one or two last minute changes, as well as salutes to deceased stars, but this is getting screwy.

I'm not complaining though because I'd rather watch "Nora Prentiss", "Love Me or Leave Me" and "Vivacious Lady" than the Andy Hardy movies. "Destination Murder" sounds good too.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ I am becoming PAST annoyed about all of the substitutions.

It does ABSOLUTELY no good to pay good money for a subscription to NOW PLAYING when there are just TONS of changes each month.

Obviously, all of us are okay with the schedule changing for stuff like Jane Wyman's passing...or the odd film here or there.

But in the past week two WHOLE DAYS (and that isn't even COUNTING the Jane Wyman Day) have been completely revised for no good reason.

All of those Andy Hardy films are MGM, aren't they? So it's not like Columbia didn't come thru with the goods or anything like has happened a couple of times this year.

NO! These are changes for no good reason - and they are annoying as hell to those of us who record stuff - and who pay good money for NOW PLAYING so as to have THE most accurate schedule with which to plan, short of GETTING ON THE WEB EVERY BLOOMIN' HOUR TO CHECK FOR SCHEDULE CHANGES. :x :x :x :x :x

Oh yes...I am getting to be quite annoyed. Because it's getting so that I can no longer trust the guide at all. And so will have to wake up every morning and as part of my morning routine, check for last-minute muss-ups on the TCM schedule.

What a wonderful addition to my day. :roll:

:x :x :x
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

It's a good thing I don't have the NOW PLAYING guide. I think i'd be PO'ed as i'd be looking forward to all the Andy Hardy movies. That's not to say that what's scheduled sucks because they don't but still.....

Thank goodness for using the online schedule as referral :)
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Well, I was quite looking forward to a few of those Andy Hardy films - there are a few that TCM airs regularly...but several of these are ones they don't run as frequently, and I would have liked to have had them.

Instead I got all films I'd already seen.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

pktrekgirl wrote:All of those Andy Hardy films are MGM, aren't they? So it's not like Columbia didn't come thru with the goods or anything like has happened a couple of times this year.
From what I gathered from the Programmer on the TCM board, they don't own the MGM films and even those have to be leased. There's a certain amount of times they can show the films as well. Perhaps they leased out too many MGM films this year or showed them one too many times. I don't know. All I know is that all the schedule changes are beyond annoying.

Did you get the October NP guide yet? The August and September guides arrived very early, but now it's the 21st and I have nothing. I hate to call up and ask for them to send me one - I did that once and of course I got it the next day! I now have 2 March 2007 NP guides. Sigh.

Of course, if it means getting them near the end of the month and having the right schedules and movies listed, then I won't be complaining! This month has been ridiculous with the changes (Jane Wyman tribute exempt).
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
Moraldo Rubini

Mr. Postman

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Did you get the October NP guide yet? The August and September guides arrived very early, but now it's the 21st and I have nothing. I hate to call up and ask for them to send me one - I did that once and of course I got it the next day! I now have 2 March 2007 NP guides. Sigh.
I've received my October Now Playing guide. It arrived earlier this week, so you might want to call. I never received my August one. I was sorry about that, since I mainly use these as references later. And one of the things I often refer to is who was the star of the month. So I'll be at a loss regarding 2007. I too considered having them send another, but I just did that in January... oy.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

October showed up today. They did replace one issue that never arrived. Another time I called about a late one and the original one showed up several days after the replacement.

I like having them even with the availability of the schedule on-line.
Chris