Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by Lzcutter »

I got back to my abode in time to catch some of the discussion on Forbidden Planet before the film started.

I loved it and can't wait to hear more!

I hope TCM does more of this type presentation- Ben Burtt and Craig Barrron are terrific.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

This is a terrific night of conversation on TCM. I know the films being shown are what many at TCM City call "standard TCM fare" (or overshown, depending on who you are talking to) but Craig Barron and Ben Burtt are just great in talking about behind the scenes history and I am loving the talk of how they did the gunshots in Gunga Din (and the fact that Burtt went back to Lone Pine to recreate that sound for the Indiana Jones movies) and the sound of the arrows in Robin Hood.

I hope everyone is either watching or DVRing the films tonight because the discussion is absolutely priceless.

And, from what I hear, Robert O said in his opening to Forbidden Planet (that I missed the beginning of), there will be more evenings like this in our future!

YAY!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

*faint*

DirectTV added the TCM *high def* channel overnight! Got up this morning to find The Searchers in HD on TCM. I nearly fell over from sheer surprise. What a thrill! Finally, no more zooming out of "letterboxed within a 4:3 frame" widescreen movies broadcasts on TCM!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Lzcutter wrote:This is a terrific night of conversation on TCM. I know the films being shown are what many at TCM City call "standard TCM fare" (or overshown, depending on who you are talking to) but Craig Barron and Ben Burtt are just great in talking about behind the scenes history and I am loving the talk of how they did the gunshots in Gunga Din (and the fact that Burtt went back to Lone Pine to recreate that sound for the Indiana Jones movies) and the sound of the arrows in Robin Hood.

I hope everyone is either watching or DVRing the films tonight because the discussion is absolutely priceless.

And, from what I hear, Robert O said in his opening to Forbidden Planet (that I missed the beginning of), there will be more evenings like this in our future!

YAY!!!!
Academy Conversations has been announced as a feature that will appear on TCM from time to time in the future--and, based on the highly enjoyable joint appearance by visual effects master Craig Barron and sound engineer Ben Burtt, this promises to be revelatory and delightful. I loved the research and discoveries that both men described as exploring in their efforts to learn from classic movie technicians and using these pioneering efforts to inspire their own original creations.

I wish you had seen the beginning of Forbidden Planet, Lynn. Ben Burtt described and demonstrated the eerie (and highly imitated) experimental music created painstakingly by Greenwich Village avante garde composers Louis & Bebe Barron, who had a visit from Dore Schary himself when the filmmakers were looking for appropriate sounds to enhance the sci-fi world of Forbidden Planet. Craig Barron talked about and showed video of how animated effects created by Disney animator Joshua Meador helped to create the "id monster" that was interwoven with filmed scenes so effectively in Forbidden Planet. [You can see more at the AMPAS "Mysteries of the Krell" presentation that Barron & Burtt gave here last year].

I haven't had a chance to review all the intros and outros for last night's event, but this was a great kick-off to what I hope becomes a mainstay on the network's schedule.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Lily the dog hated
the eerie (and highly imitated) experimental music created painstakingly by Greenwich Village avante garde composers Louis & Bebe Barron
and barked at it all the way through the movie.

I enjoyed the matte paintings from Robin Hood and how they fit over the actual outdoor settings. Also was surprised at how many things are added in post production, even if somehow, I still want all that Hollywood magic to remain just that in my mind.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

DirectTV added the TCM *high def* channel overnight!
Is that why, for the first time, I received a "You cannot record copyrighted material" message when I tried to record some of the OOP movies on TCM yesterday?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

ChiO wrote:
DirectTV added the TCM *high def* channel overnight!
Is that why, for the first time, I received a "You cannot record copyrighted material" message when I tried to record some of the OOP movies on TCM yesterday?
Apparently this often happens when DirectTV upgrades channels to HD, although the Macrovision copy protection comes from the channels, and not DirectTV itself.
Some possible fixes include:
Rebooting the DVR and DVD recorder (unplug them for 30 seconds or so);
Use the analog outputs and inputs;
Try recording from the SD channel instead of the HD (assuming they kept both).
Some recorders are more sensitive to Macrovision than others (Sony recorders are very sensitive) and generally older recorders have less issues with copy protection then the newer ones.

Hope this helps.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I hope it works for you ChiO! :(
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I have Comcast and I have the opposite problem with one of my DVD recorders. I can record the HD channel but not the standard def. I do use an HDMI cable coming out of that machine and haven't tried the RCA cables out. The good thing is I have another machine that records on the SD channel. This is good because recording on the HD channel makes the picture smaller on the recorder.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira,

I was able to see the tail end of the discussion about the music and the animation of the Krell.

I watched three out of the four films. I had to DVR Citizen Kane because I needed sleep.

I'm glad to see this will be on-going series with TCM!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I am now officially NOT as excited about TCM HD as I was before. Not because of the recording problem -- I haven't tried any recording -- but after The Searchers ended, The Burning Hills began --and it's WINDOWBOXED.

The Burning Hills (with Natalie Wood and Tab Hunter) is a Cinemascope film, and on an HD channel, I expected to see it filling the screen to the sides, but with black bars on the top and bottom (like Cinemascope movies I've seen on, say, the Sony or MGM HD channels, or on anamorphic DVDs and Blu-rays).

But no... The Burning Hills is broadcast WINDOWBOXED with BIG black bars on top and bottom and smaller ones on the sides! It's like watching it through a slit in a door. How annoying!!!! I can't imagine why TCM is doing this.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

PRE-CODE STANWYCK TONITE

LOOKING YOUNGER THAN ONE REMEMBERS - SEE THE BEGINNING OF THE LEGEND

8:00 PM SHOPWORN (1932)
A waitress falls for a wealthy young man but has to fight his mother to find happiness. Dir: Nicholas Grinde Cast: Barbara Stanwyck, Regis Toomey, ZaSu Pitts. BW-66 mins, TV-G, CC.

9:15 PM TEN CENTS A DANCE (1931)
A taxi dancer with a jealous husband finds herself falling for a wealthy client. Dir: Lionel Barrymore Cast: Barbara Stanwyck, Ricardo Cortez, Monroe Owsley. BW-77 mins, TV-G, CC.

10:45 PM ILLICIT (1931)
Young free-thinkers turn conventionally jealous when they marry. Dir: Archie Mayo Cast: Barbara Stanwyck, James Rennie, Charles Butterworth. BW-79 mins, TV-G, CC.

12:15 AM FORBIDDEN (1932)
On an ocean voyage, a librarian falls for a married man. Dir: Frank R. Capra Cast: Barbara Stanwyck, Adolphe Menjou, Ralph Bellamy. BW-85 mins, TV-G.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

movieman1957 wrote:I have Comcast and I have the opposite problem with one of my DVD recorders. I can record the HD channel but not the standard def. I do use an HDMI cable coming out of that machine and haven't tried the RCA cables out. The good thing is I have another machine that records on the SD channel. This is good because recording on the HD channel makes the picture smaller on the recorder.
That's interesting. If a DVD recorder will record some channels but not others, it's usually the HD input with HDMI where the problems are. I'd certainly try RCA cables (or S or R-W-Y if you have it). My guess is if you can record with HDMI already, those should work and give you the proper analog picture. (The smaller picture is because you are going from HD to standard.)
pvitari wrote:But no... The Burning Hills is broadcast WINDOWBOXED with BIG black bars on top and bottom and smaller ones on the sides! It's like watching it through a slit in a door. How annoying!!!! I can't imagine why TCM is doing this.
Not every film on TCM has been converted to HD. Those films that are letterboxed and still in SD will upconvert with black bars on all sides.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the heads-up on Stanwyck's pre-codes, CM.

I particularly recommend Forbidden, the last of the extraordinary Capra-Stanwyck early collaborations that began with Ladies of Leisure (1930), a film in which you can almost literally see Barbara Stanwyck grow in skill and subtlety from scene to scene (despite the limitations of the somewhat hackneyed storyline in L of L). By the time Forbidden (1932) came along, the alleged affair between the director and the star was fading after the dream-like intensity of the erotically charged The Bitter Tea of General Yen, (and I doubt if it helped that the film was a commercial failure). While Capra and Stanwyck worked together again in the hugely successful Meet John Doe, the intimacy of the screen collaboration was different by then.

Even though Capra later expressed lasting dissatisfaction with the script for Forbidden, the elegiac quality of the lifelong love affair between a lonely woman and a married, politically compromised man (played by a surprisingly engaging Adolphe Menjou. whose flawed character walks a fine line between tragedy and hypocrisy) has left a lasting impression on me since I first saw this movie a few years ago. Below were some of my posted impressions then, and I still feel this way. Since then, having seen a broader range of Stanwyck's work, I think that in a similar spirit, the only other director who evoked such fine-grained portrayals of adult women living with the compromises that life brings may have been Douglas Sirk in All I Desire (1953) and There's Always Tomorrow (1956). A wonderfully flinty, funny and searingly honest actress, it would take two decades after Forbidden for the unexpectedly introspective aspect of Stanwyck's talent to emerge as poignantly once again:

*Small Spoiler Alert*
I was half-watching Forbidden (1932) while doing some paperwork, but stopped long enough to catch some of the beautifully detailed performance that Barbara Stanwyck was giving here. I realized that perhaps the stories about Stanwyck-Capra's love were true today. She never looked more vulnerable or delicate, or gentle, a quality that too few directors drew from her.

I was also quite impressed with the playful likability and more nuanced acting of Adolphe Menjou in this movie. The only other movie in which I've seen him be this appealing was when he worked with another great director, William Wellman, in the forgotten farcical beauty that provided the basis of the musical Chicago, Roxie Hart (1942).

While Stella Dallas may have revealed some of the vulnerability in the actress, I thought that role was written much more broadly. I found myself liking the character she played in today's movie much more, maybe because she seems more realistic to me, and less of a clear-cut victim as poor Stella. I know I'm a sap, but watching Forbidden, I thought that I heard my heart crack a little when Stanwyck sang to the baby while her lover's wife thanked him for adopting the child. Btw, Dorothy Peterson as Menjou's wife was a sketchier character but quite sympathetic, I thought. Underneath the wealthy woman's inbred sense of entitlement, she seemed to have so much longing as well. You could feel that she instinctively knew how much the woman's child meant to him. Lots of things were swept under the carpet for the sake of propriety and a calm surface, but none of the characters, least of all Ralph Bellamy's bitterly longing newspaperman, got what they needed. I'm not even sure if they got what they deserved.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira,

Ten Cents a Dance may be the most sympathetic role I have ever seen Ricardo Cortez play!

And he was good in the role!

I guess I am just too used to him being either selfish jerk or a bad guy.
Lynn in Lake Balboa