Roy Scheider

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
norfious

Roy Scheider

Post by norfious »

Ever since seeing TCM's The French Connection and The Seven-Ups double feature in January or February, I have been absolutely captivated by Roy Scheider. Believe it or not, those were the first films I had ever seen him in.

Since then, I've been trying to watch every movie of his I can get my hands on, and thus far I have seen quite a few. My quest has lead me to watch a lot of movies I never would have ever bothered watching in the past, and I find it has been really expanding my horizons and taste in films. I've found some hidden gems, and also ended up watching quite a few, let's say, less-than-perfect movies, but Scheider gives a fantastic performance in each one regardless. Indeed, his presence alone is what made some of the films tolerable (I am looking at you, Evasive Action (1998)). He's also the sole reason I have binge-watched the TV show SeaQuest DSV, as his character is quite unique in the sci-fi genre and he brings a lot to an otherwise run-of-the mill show.

It is a wonder that he was not cast in more big films during his career, as he was an incredible talent. Truly, I was surprised to see that a lot of his later films seemed to be direct-to-TV movies that are quite thin in the plot department. Still, I am grateful for the films that he did give us. The fact that he always gave 100% effort regardless of what the movie was is inspiring.

Mr. Scheider seemed very professional and I admire his work ethic. He also seemed like a kind and patient person, from what I have seen in interviews. This interview in particular for the film 2010: The Year We Make Contact I found to be quite touching, as he responded that he just wanted to be remembered as a "friend in time of need to somebody" more than anything else. As someone who has found great joy in watching his movies in the past few months, I am grateful that he has, in a way, been a friend to me. :)

_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Intrepid37

Re: Roy Scheider

Post by Intrepid37 »

I liked Scheider too. He was quite good in All That Jazz and Sorcerer is something of a cult favorite. Marathon Man was a decent role for him in a supporting capacity as well.
norfious

Post by norfious »

Intrepid37 wrote: April 9th, 2023, 10:00 pm I liked Scheider too. He was quite good in All That Jazz and Sorcerer is something of a cult favorite. Marathon Man was a decent role for him in a supporting capacity as well.
Agreed! After a few viewings, I ended up really liking Sorcerer and am still fascinated by the film. It's one I am probably going to open a thread about one of these days because there is so much to discuss!

When I first heard that Scheider was in All That Jazz, I couldn't picture him in that role at all and was kind of hesitant to watch it, but I did finally watch (most of) it and I am glad I did. (I started watching it late one night, and when I went to finish the next day, it was taken off the streaming service I was using. :( ) It is probably his best performance, and one that really shows his flexibility as a performer.

I have not seen Marathon Man in its entirety, as I think it might be too intense for me, but who knows. I did watch a few of Scheider's scenes from it on YouTube and enjoyed that much.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

norfious wrote: April 9th, 2023, 10:48 pm
I have not seen Marathon Man in its entirety, as I think it might be too intense for me, but who knows.
Oh, don't worry, kid. It would be "safe" to watch it. ;)

(...and in order to get this joke and why I placed that word in quotation marks, you will have to watch this movie all the way through)
norfious

Post by norfious »

Dargo wrote: April 10th, 2023, 1:14 am Oh, don't worry, kid. It would be "safe" to watch it. ;)
Haha, good one. That scene is the one I don't think I could watch. I have dentist appointments coming up and I don't want to ruin them. :?
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Sure, Scheider did a few movies that showed he can handle many different types of characters. From the emotional shallow pimp in KLUTE to the emotionally confused doctor in "Sheila Levine Is Dead And Living In New York". He had amazing range, IMHO, and played off well with another often earlier underrated actor JOHN GLOVER in 52 PICK UP.

One of my favorite Scheider moves( I often wonder if some automatic spring machine was used) was in JAWS. The scene where Scheider is tossing chum off the back of Quint's boat and the shark rises out of the water with mouth wide open. The scene then cuts to Scheider, seemingly much faster than humanly possible springs upright with a shocked and frightened expression on his face. :D

Long one of my favorite actors, I can't disagree with anything you've said about him here.

Sepiatone
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

52 PICK UP — Elmore Leonard is another writer who is entertaining and funny as all get out.
norfious

Post by norfious »

Wow, I have heard quite a few people say good things about 52 Pick-Up. I've yet to see it, as it sounded too sleazy for my taste, but maybe I'll give it a try. I've been pleasantly surprised in the past when I watched movies I didn't expect to like. Plus, any movie with Roy Scheider in it is at least worth a watch.
Sepiatone wrote: April 10th, 2023, 10:43 am The scene then cuts to Scheider, seemingly much faster than humanly possible springs upright with a shocked and frightened expression on his face
Well, he was a boxer before becoming an actor. Maybe that is how he got his super-human speed. :)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I think that he should have won the Oscar for All That Jazz. He was a very good actor, a very complex onscreen presence and I wish that his career had turned out better than the way it did, slowly fading after the mid 80s.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I wonder why his career went into decline? It was going gangbusters in the 70s. By the 80's it went into decline and later he was appearing in really bad stuff.
norfious

Post by norfious »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 12th, 2023, 2:31 pm I think that he should have won the Oscar for All That Jazz. He was a very good actor, a very complex onscreen presence and I wish that his career had turned out better than the way it did, slowly fading after the mid 80s.
I completely agree. Here is an interesting snippet of an interview in which Mr. Scheider talks about the 1980 Oscars and how he felt about Kramer vs Kramer and Dustin Hoffman winning.

Hibi wrote: April 13th, 2023, 12:01 pm I wonder why his career went into decline? It was going gangbusters in the 70s. By the 80's it went into decline and later he was appearing in really bad stuff.
Hmm, good question. I am curious about that, too.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: April 13th, 2023, 12:01 pm I wonder why his career went into decline? It was going gangbusters in the 70s. By the 80's it went into decline and later he was appearing in really bad stuff.
Could be age. Scheider was a secondary actor at 39 in his first big film, Klute, and his first staring role was two years later, when he was 41, in The Seven Ups. Good run of films in the remaining 70s and 80s. By 1990 he was 58 and a little over the hill for the action type roles he was mostly known for (other than All That Jazz, the pinnacle of his career).
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

I always thought that Roy Scheider resembled Jack Benny.

Image Image
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 13th, 2023, 12:16 pm
Could be age. Scheider was a secondary actor at 39 in his first big film, Klute, and his first staring role was two years later, when he was 41, in The Seven Ups. Good run of films in the remaining 70s and 80s. By 1990 he was 58 and a little over the hill for the action type roles he was mostly known for (other than All That Jazz, the pinnacle of his career).
Yes, that could be. I didn't realize he was that old at that time.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

EP Millstone wrote: April 13th, 2023, 1:15 pm I always thought that Roy Scheider resembled Jack Benny.

Image Image
I don't see it.