Three Sailors and a Girl (1953)

Cinemaspeak59

Three Sailors and a Girl (1953)

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Three Sailors and a Girl (1953) TCM favorite Jane Powell stars in a story similar to On The Town (1949): three sailors on leave in New York City, with plans to live it up.  But first, our three sailors in this film, must stop at a bank to invest $50,000 pooled from their ship mates’ savings.  Here they meet Penny Weston, i.e. “The Girl”, played to the hilt by Jane Powell.  Goaded by Penny’s unscrupulous manager, Joe Woods (Sam Levene), hilarious in loud pinstripe suit and clashing tie, the sailors, and their $50,000, make a u-turn from Wall Street to Broadway, to finance a play, starring Penny. 

There are some great musical numbers. “Kiss Me or I’ll Scream”, and my favorite, “Show Me a Happy Woman (and I’ll Show you a Miserable Man)", features Jane marvelously vamping it up. As a dancer, Jane Powell was not as athletic, or fierce, as Cyd Charisse, but her movements are precise and fluid, and combined with her fine singing voice, sensational legs, and infectious enthusiasm, Ms. Powell was one of the Golden Era’s great musical performers. Jane Powell talked about MGM not allowing her to grow up.  On loan to Warner Bros. in this film, Jane still has that girl-next-door vibe, but with her blonde-platinum hair, liquid blue eyes, and striking red lipstick, she’s circumspect, hard-boiled, and crafty. Three Sailors and a Girl is one of her best performances.
jamesjazzguitar

Re: Three Sailors and a Girl (1953)

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Cinemaspeak59 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 1:25 pm Three Sailors and a Girl (1953) TCM favorite Jane Powell stars in a story similar to On The Town (1949): three sailors on leave in New York City, with plans to live it up.  But first, our three sailors in this film, must stop at a bank to invest $50,000 pooled from their ship mates’ savings.  Here they meet Penny Weston, i.e. “The Girl”, played to the hilt by Jane Powell.  Goaded by Penny’s unscrupulous manager, Joe Woods (Sam Levene), hilarious in loud pinstripe suit and clashing tie, the sailors, and their $50,000, make a u-turn from Wall Street to Broadway, to finance a play, starring Penny. 

There are some great musical numbers. “Kiss Me or I’ll Scream”, and my favorite, “Show Me a Happy Woman (and I’ll Show you a Miserable Man)", features Jane marvelously vamping it up. As a dancer, Jane Powell was not as athletic, or fierce, as Cyd Charisse, but her movements are precise and fluid, and combined with her fine singing voice, sensational legs, and infectious enthusiasm, Ms. Powell was one of the Golden Era’s great musical performers. Jane Powell talked about MGM not allowing her to grow up.  On loan to Warner Bros. in this film, Jane still has that girl-next-door vibe, but with her blonde-platinum hair, liquid blue eyes, and striking red lipstick, she’s circumspect, hard-boiled, and crafty. Three Sailors and a Girl is one of her best performances.
Very nice right up. TCM favorite is right. While I have been into studio-era films for over 30 years, I wasn't aware of Jane Powell until the last 8 or so years (not being much of a fan of musicals). But I'm a big fan of Powell now.

Note that Gene Nelson is in Three Sailors as a dancer. That same year Nelson was the lead in a solid noir Crime Wave. Nelson had a very interesting career going on to become a director, directing many 50s T.V. westerns and other productions.
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 21st, 2023, 1:45 pm
Cinemaspeak59 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 1:25 pm Three Sailors and a Girl (1953) TCM favorite Jane Powell stars in a story similar to On The Town (1949): three sailors on leave in New York City, with plans to live it up.  But first, our three sailors in this film, must stop at a bank to invest $50,000 pooled from their ship mates’ savings.  Here they meet Penny Weston, i.e. “The Girl”, played to the hilt by Jane Powell.  Goaded by Penny’s unscrupulous manager, Joe Woods (Sam Levene), hilarious in loud pinstripe suit and clashing tie, the sailors, and their $50,000, make a u-turn from Wall Street to Broadway, to finance a play, starring Penny. 

Very nice right up. TCM favorite is right. While I have been into studio-era films for over 30 years, I wasn't aware of Jane Powell until the last 8 or so years (not being much of a fan of musicals). But I'm a big fan of Powell now.

Note that Gene Nelson is in Three Sailors as a dancer. That same year Nelson was the lead in a solid noir Crime Wave. Nelson had a very interesting career going on to become a director, directing many 50s T.V. westerns and other productions.
Thanks, James. Yes about Gene Nelson, he was great in Three Sailors and a Girl, and that dance number he performed was a highlight.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

That title must've raised some eyebrows back then. Could have also been the title of a "smoker" I saw at a bachelor party back in the "day". :smiley_oneglass:

Sepiatone