Summer of '42 (1971)

wmcclain

Summer of '42 (1971)

Post by wmcclain »

Summer of '42 (1971), directed by Robert Mulligan.

During summer vacation on "the Island", a teenaged boy falls in love at a distance with a married young woman, a neighbor. When her husband goes off to war he may be able to spend time with her. They are only a few years apart in age, but that is a gulf of experience and maturity. Raging hormones and earnest adoration make for pain and confusion. As they say: it's complicated.

Adolescents understand that lust and love are different things, but that doesn't mean they are easy to untangle. Our hero struggles.

A good bit: dating girls their own age, the boys try furtive groping in the dark theater while elegant Bette Davis and Paul Henreid are projected in Now, Voyager (1942).

Also the reminder of those days when a glimpse of the loved one seemed a bit of heaven.

And something you find in literature more often than in films: people sometimes have sex to assuage grief.

The coming of age story is a well-worn genre. This was the blockbuster entry of the early 1970s, earning 30x its budget. Michel Legrand's theme song became an omnipresent standard, the ambient background music of those years. The lyrics are not used in the film: "The summer smiles / The summer knows / And unashamed / She sheds her clothes..."

Jennifer O'Neill (23) is lovely as a dream. She insisted on no nudity in the film. I know her name better than her filmography, recalling her clearly only from Cronenberg's Scanners (1981). She did quite a lot of TV work.

Photographed by Robert Surtees, a soft look. The outdoor scenes seem particularly hazy and I wonder if there isn't something about Mendocino, standing in for Nantucket. Dead & Buried (1981) was also filmed there and has that same soft atmosphere.

Available on Blu-ray from Warner Archive.

Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Sepiatone

Re: Summer of '42 (1971)

Post by Sepiatone »

wmcclain wrote: April 26th, 2023, 6:27 am Summer of '42 (1971), directed by Robert Mulligan.

Photographed by Robert Surtees, a soft look. The outdoor scenes seem particularly hazy and I wonder if there isn't something about Mendocino, standing in for Nantucket. Dead & Buried (1981) was also filmed there and has that same soft atmosphere.
]
That "hazy" look can be acquired by a soft "fog" lens. Or even one called a "haze" filter. I have one of each I'd use for a particular effect I'd wish to have in photography.
Back in the "day" it was acquired by a light smear of Vaseline.

Sepiatone
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Sepiatone wrote: April 26th, 2023, 12:24 pm
wmcclain wrote: April 26th, 2023, 6:27 am Summer of '42 (1971), directed by Robert Mulligan.

]
That "hazy" look can be acquired by a soft "fog" lens. Or even one called a "haze" filter. I have one of each I'd use for a particular effect I'd wish to have in photography.
Back in the "day" it was acquired by a light smear of Vaseline.

Sepiatone
I've also heard that pantyhose/tights have been used to accomplish the same thing...
Last edited by txfilmfan on April 26th, 2023, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Back in 1972 I was asked by a girlfriend if I liked that movie. When I said yes, she exclaimed- almost without understanding - "every guy likes that movie!"

My father - who would have been a boy himself in '42 - was watching it on TV one night while I was visiting my parents. When I knew the movie was over, I went into the TV Room and asked him if he had liked it. He just nodded yes and said nothing else.

Listening to the theme music from Summer of '42 still evokes the most bittersweet sense of nostalgia in me. Especially late at night, as I'm laying in bed ready to sleep.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: April 26th, 2023, 12:56 pm
...Listening to the theme music from Summer of '42 still evokes the most bittersweet sense of nostalgia in me. Especially late at night, as I'm laying in bed ready to sleep.
Yeah?! Well in MY case, the movie itself evokes a "most bittersweet sense of nostalia in me", and especially whenever the gorgeous Jennifer O'Neill is on screen.

Ya see, I'm always reminded of the time back around 1975 when I failed to follow up on a date to meet her that she had proposed after what should have been a two minute (airline) business phone call turned into a deep personal conversation lasting 30 minutes or so.

This took place during the time she was between husband number 3 and 4 of her ultimate in number of nine.

(...yep, I sometimes wonder whenever her name comes up if we could have hit it off for a short while, if you catch my drift here)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: April 26th, 2023, 2:07 pm
...Listening to the theme music from Summer of '42 still evokes the most bittersweet sense of nostalgia in me. Especially late at night, as I'm laying in bed ready to sleep.
Yeah?! Well in MY case, the movie itself evokes a "most bittersweet sense of nostalia in me", and especially whenever the gorgeous Jennifer O'Neill is on screen.

Ya see, I'm always reminded of the time back around 1975 when I failed to follow up on a date to meet her that she had proposed after what should have been a two minute (airline) business phone call turned into a deep personal conversation lasting 30 minutes or so.

This took place during the time she was between husband number 3 and 4 of her ultimate in number of nine.

(...yep, I sometimes wonder whenever her name comes up if we could have hit it off for a short while, if you catch my drift here)
ARE YOU SERIOUS????????????
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: April 26th, 2023, 3:46 pm
Dargo wrote: April 26th, 2023, 2:07 pm

ARE YOU SERIOUS????????????
Yes I am, Hibi. In fact, I remember relaying this story years ago in the old TCM forum.

And ya know what my "hook" was with her? Telling her that I couldn't believe I was actually talking to the gorgeous actress named Jennifer O'Neill and because I had always assumed she was just like your average everyday garden variety airheaded movie actress and was pleasantly surprised to discover that she wasn't. She ate that up.

(...I can be quite the schmoozer when I want or need to be, ya know!) ;) LOL
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LOL!!!!!
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

The scene in the pharmacy when Hermie tries to buy contraceptives is one of the funniest of the 1970s.
The naive Hermie asks for 3 dozen.
Pharmacist-"Planning a big night?"