Howard Hawks

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Belle

Howard Hawks

Post by Belle »

This excellent (German) documentary about Hawks, which mainly comprises long-form interview/discussion, was made circa 6 weeks before Hawks died. (He tripped over his dog, got concussion and died 3 weeks later at home. 26th December, 1977.)

I've read lots about Hawks including Todd McCarthy's excellent biography. And, because of this, I can tell you Hawks tells a lot of 'porkies' in this interview. McCarthy tells about how Hawks fabricated stories about himself and his life and work. This is no less the case here, and a prime example is the conversation about the film 'Twentieth Century'. Hawks claims he told John Barrymore on the set of the film that "I don't want to hear a squark out of you before 2pm". He also said Carole Lombard was his second cousin and I doubt that, having never heard or read that anywhere else. He also lied about his academic background; his parents were wealthy and got him into Cornell for Engineering but he failed miserably in less than a year! And 'fifty guys behind me" - yeah, right Howard!!! :oops:

Anyway, some interesting insights into Hawks - but take care about the 'porkies'! The narration is in Deutsch and there is no subtitle facility available, but most of the talking is Hawks anyway. Incidentally, faults notwithstanding, I absolutely adored Howard Hawks - 'porkie pies' ('lies' in Australian). And he discusses Vic Fleming, another director and man's man I hugely admired:

And if you can get over the tripe from Shirley here, the award for Howard Hawks is very moving. He had never received an Oscar before!! And John Wayne loved him, which is very obvious here!

LiamCasey

Re: Howard Hawks

Post by LiamCasey »

Four pictures? Sounds like John Wayne (or whomever wrote his speech) forgot about Rio Lobo (1970).
Belle

Post by Belle »

LiamCasey wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 6:58 pm Four pictures? Sounds like John Wayne (or whomever wrote his speech) forgot about Rio Lobo (1970).
Yes, I thought of that too. Wayne must have been reading an auto-prompt and/or just simply forgotten!! "Rio Lobo" isn't much of a film, but it is a Hawks film all the same and it has Wayne in it!!
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Belle wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 7:02 pm
LiamCasey wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 6:58 pm Four pictures? Sounds like John Wayne (or whomever wrote his speech) forgot about Rio Lobo (1970).
Yes, I thought of that too. Wayne must have been reading an auto-prompt and/or just simply forgotten!! "Rio Lobo" isn't much of a film, but it is a Hawks film all the same and it has Wayne in it!!
Well, if someone had to forget one of the five, that was definitely the one to forget.
Belle

Post by Belle »

LiamCasey wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 7:09 pm
Belle wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 7:02 pm
Well, if someone had to forget one of the five, that was definitely the one to forget.
Yes, that's what I was thinking - but I gagged all the same, as I adored Hawks!! My love for Howard Hawks goes back 60 years.

Leigh Brackett wrote the screenplays for "Rio Bravo", "El Dorado" and "Rio Lobo". Even after "Dorado" she complained to Hawks that she was writing the same film, over and over, and I've already quoted him as responding, "If they don't like it give 'em their dime back"! He didn't feel the least bit phased by the idea that his last 3 westerns were essentially the same story, but Hawks was primarily interested in relationships between small groups of men. He also loved feisty and 'lippy' women!!