The Apartment

Dargo

Re: The Apartment

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:11 pm No rationalizing needed.

And no, you are definitely no psychologist.
THANKS!!!

Why, I think that that might be the nicest compliment you've EVER given me here, dude!!!

(...I mean, you DO know why most shrinks BECOME shrinks, don't YA?...uh-huh, it's because they're tryin' to discover why THEY'RE so screwed up!)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Dargo wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:27 pm you DO know why most shrinks BECOME shrinks, don't YA?...uh-huh, it's because they're tryin' to discover why THEY'RE so screwed up!)
Okay. Thanks for the information.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:29 pm
Dargo wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:27 pm you DO know why most shrinks BECOME shrinks, don't YA?...uh-huh, it's because they're tryin' to discover why THEY'RE so screwed up!)
Okay. Thanks for the information.
OH, you're quite welcome here, Rick ol' boy!

And so and speaking of "psychology" here, and of course in an effort to get this here thread back on track a bit, I'd like to now discuss something our guitar playing buddy from the sunny climes of SoCal James said in this thing before it got a mite tense around here:
jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 16th, 2023, 2:12 pmLooks like, according to some folks, Jeff D. Sheldrake is the person with the best character traits in The Apartment. Not always, but largely true. Unfortunately, or fortunately.
Basically here I suppose, the "psychology" behind or maybe better said the meaning behind the above comment.

(...and because I STILL don't quite understand what he meant by this, or how the pilandering power broker head of the company exhibited "the best character traits" of any character in this great film and that's so full of wonderfully written and performed characters, and yes humanly flawed ones)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Dargo wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:41 pm OH, you're quite welcome here, **** ol' boy!
Can we please go back to addressing one another by our user names.

I realize you felt the need to out me and I do admit to using your real name in an answering post - but can we put a stop to that now?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:48 pm
Dargo wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:41 pm OH, you're quite welcome here, **** ol' boy!
Can we please go back to addressing one another by our user names.

I realize you felt the need to out me and I do admit to using your real name in an answering post - but can we put a stop to that now?
Certainly.

No problem, Intrepid.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I could have found a better version of the song, but wanted the slideshow.
Nothing for me is normal, unless it spins round and round with a needle in a groove.
So I'm in my happy place.

Keeping it GR8 @ 78! Here Ya Go:

Andree

Post by Andree »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 17th, 2023, 5:32 am

It's astonishing how many people believe actors are the same as the movie characters that have affected them. Really, really stupid people - imagine being so delusional that you would actually accost an actor for playing a role.
I wonder if people still have this idea. One would think not, but who knows. It is kind of funny. I imagine
a whole group of white-haired grannies kicking MacMurray in the knees as he runs away from them.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Belle

Post by Belle »

Sepiatone wrote: June 17th, 2023, 12:23 pm I didn't think THE OUT OF TOWNERS was all that bad. As for Shirley and beauty;

I find it difficult to NOT think of her as beautiful.

Sepiatone

Shirley was not your classic Hollywood beauty but she had talent in spades. What I always found appealing about her was her versatility and she always had a great vulnerability about her. Strength and vulnerability provided Shirley's screen persona. Think of her in "Irma La Douce" and "Some Came Running". In the former the hardness and cynicism of the prostitute and in the latter naivete bordering on stupidity.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Andree wrote: June 17th, 2023, 4:42 pm
Intrepid37 wrote: June 17th, 2023, 5:32 am

It's astonishing how many people believe actors are the same as the movie characters that have affected them. Really, really stupid people - imagine being so delusional that you would actually accost an actor for playing a role.
I wonder if people still have this idea. One would think not, but who knows. It is kind of funny. I imagine
a whole group of white-haired grannies kicking MacMurray in the knees as he runs away from them.
You'd think after decades of film and TV exposure, people today would be more sophisticated about such things. I'd bet the last bastion of this belief revolved around soap opera stars, since they played the same role for 5 days a week, every week, for years. But there's only 2 or 3 of those left on the air.

Some don't think they are their character, but are disappointed in their choice of roles when it doesn't align with their own beliefs, or the beliefs they think the actor should hold. People forget that it is a job sometimes...
Andree

Post by Andree »

txfilmfan wrote: June 17th, 2023, 6:46 pm

You'd think after decades of film and TV exposure, people today would be more sophisticated about such things. I'd bet the last bastion of this belief revolved around soap opera stars, since they played the same role for 5 days a week, every week, for years. But there's only 2 or 3 of those left on the air.

Some don't think they are their character, but are disappointed in their choice of roles when it doesn't align with their own beliefs, or the beliefs they think the actor should hold. People forget that it is a job sometimes...
You'd think so. And with so many movies about super heroes, it's more obvious that the actor isn't like that in real life.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Andree wrote: June 17th, 2023, 4:42 pm ... It is kind of funny. I imagine

LOL :yahoo:
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

txfilmfan wrote: June 17th, 2023, 6:46 pm

Yeah. Remember the grief Denzel Washington got due to his role in TRAINING DAY? He won the Oscar for that role, but a lot of African-Americans thought he shouldn't have even been nominated. One person saying(in a newspaper article I read) "They forced him to make us black people look bad."

:roll:

Sepiatone
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Anyone here know or remember if Henry Fonda received this sort of public reaction after the release of Leone's 'Once Upon a Time in the West' and in which he played against type and his image?

(...I'm thinking this might be the most glaring example of such a thing here)
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Y'know, I did think the same thing while reading that article I mentioned. Somehow, Fonda received a lot of accolades for his despicable characterization, but Denzel was somehow "forced" by racists to play an equally despicable character.

Sepiatone
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Dargo wrote: June 18th, 2023, 11:14 am Anyone here know or remember if Henry Fonda received this sort of public reaction after the release of Leone's 'Once Upon a Time in the West' and in which he played against type and his image?

(...I'm thinking this might be the most glaring example of such a thing here)
Not that I ever heard.

But I think I remember Bruce Dern saying something about getting grief over his role in The Cowboys.