Re: Shadow Banning

Post by Intrepid37 »

Whatever you need to tell yourself 😆
Masha

Post by Masha »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 2:12 pm
So, ban them.

Don't be playing malicious tricks. How would you like to find out that everything you've spent your time of life writing has secretly been banned from having anyone read it?

It's an abhorrent practice and I'm really, really surprised that you would approve such a thing.
I read once a mod report that they banned a specific user sixteen times in one day. The user simply re-registered with a new name and/or VPN. How many hours per day would you be willing to sit waiting for the inevitable reports of malicious content and re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-ban them?

That particular incident was resolved only because that user became so inflamed about being repeatedly banned that their posts eventually crossed a line. Moderators traced the user from information of their original account were able to report 'terroristic threats' to the police. I do not know what happened after that except that the user disappeared from the forum.

That is only one of the many, many times when a shadow ban would have effectively ended the situation long before all involved on the good side expended the time and experienced the aggravation of such a protracted battle.

A total lack of responses to my posts would mean I am not addressing the proper audience. I would simply copy all posts of import and seek a forum where they are welcomed.

You should not be surprised that I condone such a thing. I am all about personal responsibility. Any person who repeatedly breaks the rules deserves what punishment they receive. Shadow banning a repeat offender is the least offensive option. Any person who creates new accounts to sidestep bans need a hefty fine. Strangling them would only be a temporary pleasure and is sure to get you talked about.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Masha

Post by Masha »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 2:20 pm There are only so many VPNs. They run out eventually and the game ends.
The VPN which I currently have available allows you to chose from one-hundred-and-sixteen different locations worldwide.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:09 pm
Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 2:17 pm
Masha wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 2:06 pm
I am sorry to have to say that I strongly disagree.

I saw it many times that a corruptive user would not mind being banned because they would simply re-register with a different name and/or use VPN to avoid the ban. They would be back in the forum within minutes of learning of their ban. Each time they returned with renewed antagonism against their selected victims in the forum and with vengeance against the moderators. It was never pretty.
Naaah...REALLY?! This really HAPPENS???

(...btw, I can do many other impressions than just Claude Rains as Capt. Renault...my Henry Fonda as Tom Joad being an especally skilled one, if I do say so myself) ;)
When I a kid---really young, say a little boy---I inflicted my impression of Peter Lorre upon family members. My aunt looked at me and said, "That didn't sound much like Peter Lorre to me." I remember how I did it and today I would have to agree with her assessment. At that age I wonder how I even knew who PL was. This was somewhere around 1950. It came out more like a depressed Boris Karloff. My brief career as an impressionist never came to fruition. I have a nagging half-remembered memory fragment of someone that I could do passably well (say, at as party) but I am so old now it seems lost to me. :smiley_chinrub:
LOL

Well laffite, and if you want MY guess as to who that third actor you attempted doing an impression of might've been, I'll bet it was Bela Lugosi.

(...I mean, wasn't he always the other old classic horror movie actor we tried to do back in the day?) ;)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 2:23 pm
Intrepid37 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 2:20 pm There are only so many VPNs. They run out eventually and the game ends.
Also, there's the ability to disallow members from joining the community using a VPN-created address.
There's no excuse for shadow banning. A million dollars per incident. Stomp it right out.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Masha wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:26 pm
Intrepid37 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 2:12 pm
So, ban them.

Don't be playing malicious tricks. How would you like to find out that everything you've spent your time of life writing has secretly been banned from having anyone read it?

It's an abhorrent practice and I'm really, really surprised that you would approve such a thing.
I read once a mod report that they banned a specific user sixteen times in one day. The user simply re-registered with a new name and/or VPN. How many hours per day would you be willing to sit waiting for the inevitable reports of malicious content and re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-ban them?

That particular incident was resolved only because that user became so inflamed about being repeatedly banned that their posts eventually crossed a line. Moderators traced the user from information of their original account were able to report 'terroristic threats' to the police. I do not know what happened after that except that the user disappeared from the forum.

That is only one of the many, many times when a shadow ban would have effectively ended the situation long before all involved on the good side expended the time and experienced the aggravation of such a protracted battle.

A total lack of responses to my posts would mean I am not addressing the proper audience. I would simply copy all posts of import and seek a forum where they are welcomed.

You should not be surprised that I condone such a thing. I am all about personal responsibility. Any person who repeatedly breaks the rules deserves what punishment they receive. Shadow banning a repeat offender is the least offensive option. Any person who creates new accounts to sidestep bans need a hefty fine. Strangling them would only be a temporary pleasure and is sure to get you talked about.
My answer to that is directly above.

We won't be agreeing on this.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:32 pm
I have no doubt at all that you are right.

Cheers!
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Masha wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:37 pm

Cheers!
Back atcha!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

All this kind'a makes ya wonder when the Supreme Court might begin hearing arguments as to if this Shadow Banning thing is covered or not under that "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" clause within the Eighth Amendment, doesn't it.

(...hey, the way we've become such a ligitious society now days, don't think this might not happen, folks)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:44 pm All this kind'a makes ya wonder when the Supreme Court might begin hearing arguments as to if this Shadow Banning thing is covered or not under that "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" clause within the Eighth Amendment, doesn't it.

(...hey, the way we've become such a ligitious society now days, don't think this might not happen, folks)
Now days?

Like, for more than half a century now days.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

It don't matter none what others think.
Lomm says no.
I appreciate Masha as I respect her as a person.
Intrepid37, what do you think?
The key word is respect.
I like and respect many people here, and as a result would listen to them, regardless of my opinion.
I'm getting better in my old age. Was considered a troll and it fit me.
Just wanted attention.
Something I learned from public transit.
Once a Golden Gate Transit bus has started to leave the terminal, do not try and stop it.
Among other things that could happen, people will laugh.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Masha wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:37 pm

Cheers!
:smiley_heartbounce:
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

jimimac71 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:56 pm It don't matter none what others think.
Lomm says no.
I appreciate Masha as I respect her as a person.
Intrepid37, what do you think?
The key word is respect.
I like and respect many people here, and as a result would listen to them, regardless of my opinion.
I'm getting better in my old age. Was considered a troll and it fit me.
Just wanted attention.
Something I learned from public transit.
Once a Golden Gate Transit bus has started to leave the terminal, do not try and stop it.
Among other things that could happen, people will laugh.
I've never been a troll. I've always expressed myself online as I would in person.

But I've been banned more times than I can remember (and I'm not just talking about TCM). Because I won't agree with the absolute nonsense peddled at almost every online site that's chock full of Democrats, I've been intensely hated.

All I can do is make sure I don't respond to personal attacks on me with a personal attack of my own. I learned from moderator1 that she would always punish me for that - never the original offender. She (and several of her snitches) hated my socio-political opinions with extreme prejudice.

I'm trying to be careful here. I'd advise you to do the same. Take deep breaths.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 4:44 pm
:smiley_worship: