MATLOCK reboot starring Kathy Bates

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
HoldenIsHere

MATLOCK reboot starring Kathy Bates

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I thought of the SSO's own jimimac when I saw this.

For its fall schedule, CBS plans to re-boot the legal drama MATLOCK with Kathy Bates in the title role.

Here's the information from CBS's official website:

After achieving success in her younger years, the brilliant septuagenarian Madeline Matlock, played by Academy & Emmy Award Winner Kathy Bates, rejoins the workforce at a prestigious law firm where she uses her unassuming demeanor and wily tactics to win cases and expose corruption from within. Inspired by the classic television series of the same name.

From the trailer, it appears that the Madeline Matlock character is not a relative of the Ben Matlock character, played by Andy Griffith on the original MATLOCK series, but she just coincidentally has the same last name as the attorney from the TV series and is from the South.

jimimac71

Re: MATLOCK reboot starring Kathy Bates

Post by jimimac71 »

I just might be able to consider myself a living, breathing, authority of the previous Matlock.
This will be different. I didn't think it would be coming so soon.
I believe her mentioning the TV show breaks the 4th wall and it is hilarious.
I smell a little "Boston Legal" here.
Thanks Holden!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Also in the cast of the MATLOCK reboot is Jason Ritter, who plays an attorney in the law firm where Madeline Matlock is hired.

Jason Ritter is the son of John Ritter, who played Jack Tripper on THREE'S COMPANY which also featured Don Knotts as landlord Ralph Furley. Don Knotts was hilarious as Mr. Furley!
Don Knotts also played Deputy Barney Fife opposite the original Matlock Andy Griffith on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, which starred Griffith as Sheriff Andy Taylor.

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

To quote Ben Matlock, "well put my leg in a tea kettle."
I only remember the Ropers, Norman Fell and Audra Lindley.
Of course I got help from IMDb for that.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075596/
Check out the trailer. Too funny.
I also found this video:
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: June 25th, 2023, 1:52 pm Also in the cast of the MATLOCK reboot is Jason Ritter, who plays an attorney in the law firm where Madeline Matlock is hired.

Jason Ritter is the son of John Ritter, who played Jack Tripper on THREE'S COMPANY which also featured Don Knotts as landlord Ralph Furley. Don Knotts was hilarious as Mr. Furley!
Don Knotts also played Deputy Barney Fife opposite the original Matlock Andy Griffith on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, which starred Griffith as Sheriff Andy Taylor.
Ya know Holden, you only have 3 more degrees to go before you can connnect this all to Kevin Bacon, doncha?!

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

And speaking of Jason...Boy, he sure looks so much like his dad, doesn't he. And something I noticed right off about him when I first became aware of him back when he had a reoccuring role on television's 'Parenthood' series.

(...loved that show)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Kathy Bates sure is a beautiful "old" lady. Every reboot strikes me as a "lazy try" but maybe Bates' talent can pull this one through.

WHO'S WRITING THIS SHOW?
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: June 26th, 2023, 5:56 am Kathy Bates sure is a beautiful "old" lady. Every reboot strikes me as a "lazy try" but maybe Bates' talent can pull this one through.

WHO'S WRITING THIS SHOW?
The first episode is written by Jennie Snyder Urman. who previously wrote for GilLMORE GIRLS, HOPE & FAITH and JANE THE VIRGIN (which she also developed).
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I'm probably too much of a Matlock fan to consider watching the new one.
The parking lot scene in Fried Green Tomatoes is all I know about Kathy Bates.
I still watch Matlock on MeTV.
He didn't drink Scotch or mention getting laid.
Is that the direction CBS is going to take the show?
That is how I connect it to Boston Legal.
Denny Crane (William Shatner/Boston Legal) did drink Scotch and would have had his way with Madeline in the first episode.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

WHO'S WRITING THIS SHOW?
HoldenIsHere wrote: June 26th, 2023, 2:23 pm The first episode is written by Jennie Snyder Urman.
Aren't all the writers on strike?

Kathy Bates is a smart, beautiful vivacious senior, someone I enjoy watching. Loved her in Disjointed as an old hippie (I relate) She's a commanding & talented actress, I hope the writing is worthy of her.

Never saw the orig Matlock but if it's personality driven, it'll be worth watching. If it was script driven, we may be in trouble.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I can't call Kathy Bates beautiful, but she probably has personality.
Matlock, the original, is on MeTV, Hallmark Drama, and Pluto TV.
By comparison, I don't choose to watch All In The Family.
I do watch In The Heat Of The Night.
I know, two different characters, same person.
Glad the new Matlock has no connection to the old one.
I love Andy Griffith on TV but his movies don't impress me much.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: June 26th, 2023, 7:33 pm WHO'S WRITING THIS SHOW?
HoldenIsHere wrote: June 26th, 2023, 2:23 pm The first episode is written by Jennie Snyder Urman.
Aren't all the writers on strike?

Kathy Bates is a smart, beautiful vivacious senior, someone I enjoy watching. Loved her in Disjointed as an old hippie (I relate) She's a commanding & talented actress, I hope the writing is worthy of her.

Never saw the orig Matlock but if it's personality driven, it'll be worth watching. If it was script driven, we may be in trouble.
Yes, the writers are still on strike.
That's likely why credits are available only for the first episode of MATLOCK.
Kathy Bates and Jennie Snyder Urman are also two of the executive producers of the show.

I agree that Kathy Bates is a beautiful older woman. Some people grow into beauty while others have it in their youth.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

TikiSoo wrote: June 26th, 2023, 7:33 pm
...Kathy Bates is a smart, beautiful vivacious senior, someone I enjoy watching. Loved her in Disjointed as an old hippie (I relate) She's a commanding & talented actress...
As you might know Tiki, she also played this type in 'About Schmidt' opposite (and in a funny hot tub scene in particular) Jack Nicholson.

And while I'm with jimimac here about the idea of how "beautiful" she might be (she's always kind'a reminded me of a "female version of Ed Asner"), I will say I always know anything I see her in, she's made the film better and because she is a terrific actress.

(...and btw jimimac...certainly you've must have seen her in her Oscar winning 'Misery' performance, right?!)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I mentioned above I've only seen Kathy Bates in a clip of Fried Green Tomatoes.
Must have been the Oscars or something. I've not seen the movie.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hmmm...didn't know you were a fan of polka, Intrepid?! ;)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Dargo wrote: June 28th, 2023, 11:13 pm Hmmm...didn't know you were a fan of polka, Intrepid?! ;)
Schmenge brothers.