Kevin Spacey Found Not Guilty - Accusers Were Lying For $

Chit-chat, current events
Intrepid37

Kevin Spacey Found Not Guilty - Accusers Were Lying For $

Post by Intrepid37 »

TikiSoo

Re: Kevin Spacey Found Not Guilty - Accusers Were Lying For $

Post by TikiSoo »

I had heard that on the news too and am very glad for Spacey, although think the damage to his career is already done.

I also think removing him from movies upon the accusation was an outrageous knee jerk reaction & hope he countersues for "defamation"...
but I'll bet he just wants to put the entire thing behind him.
Belle

Post by Belle »

This is not the first such case and won't be the last. Here in Australia we had outrageous claims made about Geoffrey Rush by an actress from the Sydney Theatre Company. All the dirty linen was aired in public when splashed all over the media. OK, Rush obviously did some goofy and immature things but every time I see the actress who made the complaint - Erin Jean Norville - I am sickened because she's getting all the big parts in the STC productions and Rush is getting none. Naturally she's a hero for "The Guardian" newspaper, but many Australians are turned right off her.

These sexual assault grifters have been responsible for a lot of malicious damage to some very big people. Some offenders have been found guilty and punished (Weinstein, Cosby, Rolf Harris) but the rest have mostly been acquitted - even Johnny Depp.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Kevin Spacey might have been acquitted, but I know some male actors who have worked with him when they were young who would have no reason to lie (and would never "come forward" to accuse him publicly for personal reasons) and they have experienced Spacey's predatory behavior.

The jurors also sided with Spacey in Anthony Rapp's civil case. I believe Anthony Rapp. I know someone who knows Anthony.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

HoldenIsHere wrote: July 29th, 2023, 10:54 am Kevin Spacey might have been acquitted, but I know some male actors who have worked with him when they were young who would have no reason to lie (and would never "come forward" to accuse him publicly for personal reasons) and they have experienced Spacey's predatory behavior.
Did they tell you any of this BEFORE Spacey was accused? And why would they only "come forward" to you? And how can any of us here, who don't know you believe you're on the level? :smiley_huh:

Sepiatone
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: July 29th, 2023, 10:54 am Kevin Spacey might have been acquitted, but I know some male actors who have worked with him when they were young who would have no reason to lie (and would never "come forward" to accuse him publicly for personal reasons) and they have experienced Spacey's predatory behavior.

The jurors also sided with Spacey in Anthony Rapp's civil case. I believe Anthony Rapp. I know someone who knows Anthony.
That does it for me then - I believe Spacey.

I would certainly never believe anyone that you know in person.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Sepiatone wrote: July 29th, 2023, 11:04 am
Did they tell you any of this BEFORE Spacey was accused? And why would they only "come forward" to you? And how can any of us here, who don't know you believe you're on the level? :smiley_huh:

Sepiatone
They discussed their experiences with Spacey long before any of the public accusations were made.
They told me and other acquaintances when they were talking about their experience working with the famous actor Kevin Spacey.
I never thought Spacey was that special of an actor although he is a skilled one, but I definitely never cared for him after hearing about his creepy behavior from people I trusted who said they experienced it.

You can believe me or not believe me just as you believe or not believe anyone that you don't know who posts anonymously on a social media platform like this one.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Well that's the way it goes with these cases- it often happens when you're young and it goes unreported because of intimidation. No one wants to expose themselves to negative publicity.
Often those involved realize a mistake of judgement, like provocative clothing or conversation, that may have created a misconstrued situation.

When reported, a jury hears both sides and decides upon a preponderance of the evidence. It just wasn't proven enough to warrant a monetary award.
The fact the film company deleted him from the movie is what offends me. He was just accused, not convicted. Might they have been aware of the validity of the accusation? We'll never know.

It goes back to do you judge the Art or The Artist who made it?
There's lots of actors in movies I love despite knowing the person was actually a distasteful boor.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I don't believe this is social media.
I knew that like button would be nothing but trouble.
<snicker>
I believe this forum is a cut above FB & X.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TikiSoo wrote: July 29th, 2023, 12:32 pm
Well that's the way it goes with these cases- it often happens when you're young and it goes unreported because of intimidation. No one wants to expose themselves to negative publicity.
Often those involved realize a mistake of judgement, like provocative clothing or conversation, that may have created a misconstrued situation.

When reported, a jury hears both sides and decides upon a preponderance of the evidence. It just wasn't proven enough to warrant a monetary award.
The fact the film company deleted him from the movie is what offends me. He was just accused, not convicted. Might they have been aware of the validity of the accusation? We'll never know.

It goes back to do you judge the Art or The Artist who made it?
There's lots of actors in movies I love despite knowing the person was actually a distasteful boor.
Well said. The only thing I view differently relates to the film company's decision to remove Spacey and replace him with Plummer: why are you offended by this economic business decision? The company removed Spacey because too many people do judge the artist instead of the art. You don't do that and either do I, but my experience is that most people do. The film company didn't make a legal or moral judgement about Spacey (e.g., if he did "it' or not), but instead a prediction of how the general public would react.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

We have to accept that in our society, a jury's judgment is final. Spacey has been declared innocent. As a gay man, I used to go to gay bars in NY and London. I was in a monogamous relationship and went to have drinks with friends, not to cruise. But I was often approached and groped by other customers who may have been a bit squiffy and took liberties that they should not have. That also happened at parties. Today, we would call those people sexual predators. Would I have wanted to ruin their lives and careers, for a drunken infringement?

I've had friends in the 1970s who were mugged. The perps were caught, but often, although my trustworthy friends absolutely knew who the perps were, and testified to that effect, there were a lot of acquittals. We have to accept those acquittals as part of our system of justice.

Today, it's much clearer as to what kind of behavior is acceptable and what is not. I sometimes think it's unfortunate that our woke society, superimposed on a society that was founded by Puritans, may go too far in demonizing people. But we cannot forget that our system found Spacey to be innocent.

(I have a very progressive female friend who will never vote for our NY Senator Kirsten Gillebrand because of her zealous role in helping to hound Al Franken out of the Senate).
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Swithin wrote: July 29th, 2023, 1:54 pm
Today, it's much clearer as to what kind of behavior is acceptable and what is not.
It is not 'much clearer'. Not by a long shot! Instead, it is a lot grayer. This is why so many people are into cancel culture: because they disagree about what behavior is acceptable and wish to cancel those that view things differently.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: July 29th, 2023, 1:54 pm We have to accept that in our society, a jury's judgment is final. Spacey has been declared innocent. As a gay man, I used to go to gay bars in NY and London. I was in a monogamous relationship and went to have drinks with friends, not to cruise. But I was often approached and groped by other customers who may have been a bit squiffy and took liberties that they should not have. That also happened at parties. Today, we would call those people sexual predators. Would I have wanted to ruin their lives and careers, for a drunken infringement?
While I always thought Spacey an exceptionally fine actor, what I always thought was strange about him was that he never seemed to have the courage to publicly admit to being gay, and didn't until all these accusation had been made against him.

(...seems to me that the days of this sort of thing killing an actor's career have been left behind for at least the past 10-15 years, thankfully)
Last edited by Dargo on July 29th, 2023, 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 29th, 2023, 2:10 pm
Today, it's much clearer as to what kind of behavior is acceptable and what is not.
It is not 'much clearer'. Not by a long shot! Instead, it is a lot grayer. This is why so many people are into cancel culture: because they disagree about what behavior is acceptable and wish to cancel those that view things differently.
Well, I mean today it's clear that if you grab someone's genitals (or perhaps even a more innocuous body part), you're going to get into serious trouble, unless it's obviously consensual.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Swithin wrote: July 29th, 2023, 2:16 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 29th, 2023, 2:10 pm
Well, I mean today it's clear that if you grab someone's genitals (or perhaps even a more innocuous body part), you're going to get into serious trouble, unless it's obviously consensual.
That’s definitely a blanket statement which is a generalization at best. I have been felt up by (an EXTREMELY unappealing) female coworkers and sexually harassed in other ways and since I am a male I am expected to just be okay with it. It is actually harder to deal with this stuff as a male in todays society than as a woman. Any woman screaming about sexual harassment will be listened to immediately.