Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969)

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
Cinemaspeak59

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969)

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969) The Sexual Revolution announces itself with a partner-swapping tale of New Age Bob & Carol, and their prim friends Ted & Alice. So many movies from the 1960s feel dated, but this entry, directed and co-written by Paul Mazursky, anticipates our current time of youth-obsessed adults acting like kids. The main cast of Robert Culp (Bob), Natalie Wood (Carol), Elliott Gould (Ted) and Dyan Cannon (Alice) are superb. Natalie Wood’s comedic talent shines here, and Dyan Cannon has a cringe-inducing but funny scene with her psychiatrist.
Intrepid37

Re: Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969)

Post by Intrepid37 »

Nothing will corrupt a marriage faster than for it to become "open".

Well, except for the wife cheating - that will corrupt it even faster (but only after the husband finds out about it, which can take a while).
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I was on a Dyan Cannon kick a couple of years ago, seeing all her movies previously missed. I couldn't believe B&C&T&A was in my library, I remember the scandalous buzz about it when it came out. (I was a kid)

Viewing it as an adult was pleasantly surprised. I found it funny & entertaining, excellent performances all the way around.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

TikiSoo wrote: July 30th, 2023, 5:18 am I was on a Dyan Cannon kick a couple of years ago, seeing all her movies previously missed. I couldn't believe B&C&T&A was in my library, I remember the scandalous buzz about it when it came out. (I was a kid)

Viewing it as an adult was pleasantly surprised. I found it funny & entertaining, excellent performances all the way around.

I agree, one of the best satires on the way middle aged people were affected by the new morality of the 1960s. Dyan Cannon and Elliott Gould provide most of the laughs as the more strait-laced couple. They were both nominated for Oscars and I think they deserved them.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: July 30th, 2023, 7:44 am I agree, one of the best satires on the way middle aged people were affected by the new morality of the 1960s. Dyan Cannon and Elliott Gould provide most of the laughs as the more strait-laced couple. They were both nominated for Oscars and I think they deserved them.
Both were elevated by their appearances in this movie - especially Gould.

Because of his work in this, he spent the next couple of years as one of the most popular actors of the time - MASH, Getting Straight, Little Murders were all very popular movies and were but 3 of about 6 he made in 1970-71. Considering that he hadn't made much up until Bob&Carol&Ted&Alice (a small part in The Night They Raided Minsky's a couple of years earlier), it's easy to see how his performance here was quite the springboard for him.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: July 30th, 2023, 12:11 am Nothing will corrupt a marriage faster than for it to become "open".

Well, except for the wife cheating - that will corrupt it even faster (but only after the husband finds out about it, which can take a while).
This had me thinking of something my wife said after we watched a screening of the documentary 'Steve McQueen: The Man & Le Mans' (2015).

Her comment made as we left the theater being, "I knew there was a reason I never liked that guy", and it being prompted because in this documentary about McQueen's troubled 1971 production of his film 'Le Mans', among the many bits of information this documentary imparts is that during the filming of 'Le Mans', McQueen filed for divorce from his first wife Neile Adams and after discovering that she had had an affair with another man.

Now, the funny or ironic part about this is that the so-called "King of Cool" had had numerous affairs during the years of their marriage and which his wife knew all about, but after he discovered she had finally decided to seek the comfort of another man's arms while he was off in France making his movie, he decided it was finito for their marriage.

(...ya see, my wife's never been fan of that ol' double standard thing...and truthfully here, neither has her husband)
Last edited by Dargo on July 30th, 2023, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

I don't buy that "double standard" take.

Men are different from women. It's not good for a husband to expend his sperm on someone who is not his wife - but it's far, far worse for a wife to receive and absorb the sperm of a man who is not her husband. The betrayal is much, much greater.

I understand that you and many women disagree with me about that.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Well, I suppose that's one way to look at this sort'a thing, anyway.

Say, ever heard of a guy named Warren Jeffs?

If not, then you might want to Google this guy's name.

(...as it sounds as if you and he share a few thoughts in these regards)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Doubt that. He's a turd.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Oh, so then you HAVE heard of this guy then, eh?! Yep, I'd say your description of him is pretty much spot on, alright.

Okay, and now back to the movie in question here.

I have to admit I've only ever seen bits and pieces of it and have never watched B&C&T&A all the way through, but considering some of the positive comments that have been made about it in this thread, I think I'll try catching it the next time TCM shows it.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Intrepid37 wrote: July 30th, 2023, 10:22 am I don't buy that "double standard" take.

Men are different from women. It's not good for a husband to expend his sperm on someone who is not his wife - but it's far, far worse for a wife to receive and absorb the sperm of a man who is not her husband. The betrayal is much, much greater.

I understand that you and many women disagree with me about that.
What you just described IS a double standard. The very thing you claimed is something you "don't buy".

Better see if you can still get a refund.

Sepiatone
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Dargo wrote: July 30th, 2023, 11:00 am Oh, so then you HAVE heard of this guy then, eh?! Yep, I'd say your description of him is pretty much spot on, alright.
Bringing his name up in relation to me was quite the insulting ploy. Ignoring my statements that a husband cheating on his wife is not a good thing and that men are different from women, you suggesting that me and that pig are alike just because I have different feelings from you and your wife is what I've come to expect from so many transparently sly posters.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Sepiatone wrote: July 30th, 2023, 11:05 amWhat you just described IS a double standard.
Nope. Huge difference.

You don't see the difference so you don't agree.

Good enough.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: July 30th, 2023, 11:18 am
Dargo wrote: July 30th, 2023, 11:00 am Oh, so then you HAVE heard of this guy then, eh?! Yep, I'd say your description of him is pretty much spot on, alright.
Bringing his name up in relation to me was quite the insulting ploy. Ignoring my statements that a husband cheating on his wife is not a good thing and that men are different from women, you suggesting that me and that pig are alike just because I have different feelings from you and your wife is what I've come to expect from so many transparently sly posters.
Look! All I said was that you and he seemed to share certain opinions about man/woman relationships, that's all! NEVER did I say NOR imply that you and he were "alike" in any other manner than this.

And, IF you made the comment "a husband cheating on his wife is not a good thing " earlier, then I must have overlooked it somehow and so will now apologize to you for this oversight. However and once again, it seemed to me as if the crux of your earlier comments had been geared to the idea of it being far more "socially acceptable" for a man to cheat on his wife than the opposite scenario and by the use of your "sperm" argument, and thus a perpetuation of the "double standard".

(..."sly poster" here now signing out of this thread, and due to everything I want to say about either the movie 'B&C&T&A', the idea of marital philandering and/or the double standard now having been said)