Here's a spot to say "Hello!"
CinemaInternational

Re: Greetings From a New Member

Post by CinemaInternational »

Welcome!
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

Welcome Lily! I am watching "Twentieth Century" right now starring the fabulous Carole Lombard. She's one of my favorites as well. In fact, today TCM is celebrating her with an entire day's worth of her films.

I think my favorite Carole Lombard film is "My Man Godfrey," but I also love "Hands Across the Table" and "Twentieth Century."
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Love “On The Twentieth Century”. Great score. I saw it in London in 1980 with Keith Michell and Julia McKenzie.
Lily Garland

Post by Lily Garland »

jimimac71, I shall look out for Draco :D I've somehow never seen The Great Muppet Caper, despite watching The Muppet Christmas Carol every Christmas, this must be rectified :D

Good to see another Ealing Fan, Bronxgirl48, I also really like The Ladykillers and The Lavender Hill Mob.

speedracer5, thank you to for the welcome, those Lombard films are also excellent. Another performance she gave I really like is To Be or Not to Be.

Hello to Cinemaspeak59 and Cinema International.

Vienna, you were lucky to see the Mckenzie/Michell version of One the Twentieth Century. I have yet to see it on stage in person - the cd I have is the Madeline Kahn production.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I looked up Draco and it seems to be someone from Harry Potter.
Never read any books or seen movies.
Oh well, I am different.
The original Muppet Movie includes Madeline Kahn and a huge cast of characters.
Yes, I also had to look up the name Lily Garland as I'm not familiar with that movie either.
Delighted you did not use the name Mildred Plotka.
If by chance you wish to have an avatar, there are plenty here to assist with that.
I have found most of the images I wish to use need to reduced to comply with SSO's requirements.
The avatar I have now is so beautiful it is hard to imagine changing it.
I stumbled across it in a list of birthdays for August 1st.
Because I'm ever so limited in classic film knowledge, I'll admit to looking up the lovely avatar for Vienna.
I will give myself credit for knowing how to search using a photograph, so I'm not totally hopeless.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Lily Garland wrote: August 17th, 2023, 2:07 am ... some of my favourite classic films include The Night of the Hunter, The Red Shoes, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Mildred Pierce, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (and many other Bette Davis titles), Little Caesar and Kind Hearts and Coronets. I'm also interested in the silent era and comedies of the thirties and enjoy Buster Keaton and Laurel and Hardy....
NIGHT OF THE HUNTER is a favorite of mine too, but I was particularly delighted to see you mention MICHAEL POWELL films.
Welcome aboard!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Lily, THE LADYKILLERS and THE LAVENDER HILL MOB are among my favorites as well. Nothing like classic British comedy!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Welcome, Lily!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
laffite

Post by laffite »

speedracer5 wrote: August 19th, 2023, 1:16 am Welcome Lily! I am watching "Twentieth Century" right now starring the fabulous Carole Lombard. She's one of my favorites as well. In fact, today TCM is celebrating her with an entire day's worth of her films.

I think my favorite Carole Lombard film is "My Man Godfrey," but I also love "Hands Across the Table" and "Twentieth Century."
I love Barrymore's refrain which he oft reprises during the film, "Oh, the final irony."

That little phrase could employed in our own times. I'm surprised it is not invoked. Maybe because irony abounds everywhere and without which, BTW, movies would be dull.

//
Mona
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Jack is so great as Oscar Jaffe!
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

laffite wrote: August 21st, 2023, 3:23 pm
speedracer5 wrote: August 19th, 2023, 1:16 am Welcome Lily! I am watching "Twentieth Century" right now starring the fabulous Carole Lombard. She's one of my favorites as well. In fact, today TCM is celebrating her with an entire day's worth of her films.

I love Barrymore's refrain which he oft reprises during the film, "Oh, the final irony."

That little phrase could employed in our own times. I'm surprised it is not invoked. Maybe because irony abounds everywhere and without which, BTW, movies would be dull.

//
Nobody knows what irony means. Well, it sorta means you iron something and then it becomes irony.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Now if it becomes ironic, that means you ironed it good and sprinkled water on it before you ironed it. You will need an ironing board for this.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Now one should not confuse irony with the vitamin/mineral iron. A lot of people do. I work at a health food store - slash pool hall - and motorcycle bikers are always coming in confused at that. They say, “Give me a bottle of them irony pills.”
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Now, at the health food store slash pool hall we also deal in metaphors. Nobody knows what that means either. A lot of bikers will come in and say, “Give me a metaphor.” I usually say What brand of metaphor? Of course they all want the strongest and best tasting and fastest acting metaphor. “Menthol or regular?” “Shorts or 100’s?” I say. The best selling metaphor is the roll your own metaphor, it comes with a pack of Tops rolling papers and has a resealable pouch.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Welcome Lily! Stay on topic mind you!