WHEN DID THEY DROP THE OUTROS???

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

WHEN DID THEY DROP THE OUTROS???

Post by Hibi »

I watched a few films last week on TCM (haven't watched in awhile) and noticed there were no outros after the film. Only the intro. Anyone know when this started? Is this a new policy now or just for SUTS?
txfilmfan

Re: WHEN DID THEY DROP THE OUTROS???

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: August 15th, 2023, 9:17 am I watched a few films last week on TCM (haven't watched in awhile) and noticed there were no outros after the film. Only the intro. Anyone know when this started? Is this a new policy now or just for SUTS?
It was part of the same cost-cutting measure when they axed most of the top management a couple months ago. I read a story that they are now filming outros again, and they should start appearing soon.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LOL. Thanks.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Shortly after the 3 directors intervened to try to save TCM, Ben M. and Dave Karger posted messages saying the outros for Ben would return in September, with Alicia and Dave outros returning in October:

(Eddie and Jacqueline outros so far have not been cut. Of course, Noir Alley and Silent Sunday Nights are on hiatus during Summer Under the Stars, but they will return in September.)
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

I had read that Eddie and Jacqueline had no scheduled segments to record when this decision was made and then reversed, because they do them much farther in advance than the "regular" hosts, and all of their stuff was in the can. So there should be no interruption for their segments.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

I wonder if the writers strike has anything to do with the off/on switch?
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Allhallowsday wrote: August 16th, 2023, 10:03 pm I wonder if the writers strike has anything to do with the off/on switch?
Those things weren't written, they were gathered from already written infernet sources, like Wiki.

Pity. Especially with the body of knowledge both Mankiewicz & Jacqueline Stewart have.

But I also would have thought host participation may not be needed for SUTS.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

I watch mostly through Watch TCM on demand and had wondered if it was only the Watch TCM options that only stopped including outros.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TikiSoo wrote: August 17th, 2023, 5:11 am
Allhallowsday wrote: August 16th, 2023, 10:03 pm I wonder if the writers strike has anything to do with the off/on switch?
Those things weren't written, they were gathered from already written infernet sources, like Wiki.
Pity. Especially with the body of knowledge both Mankiewicz & Jacqueline Stewart have.
But I also would have thought host participation may not be needed for SUTS.
You might be confirming what I suspect. Facts are researched and "written" down for the hosts unless they do their own research... Writing is not just scripts.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I prefer the other filler products TCM has for between movies.
Many of the stars in the promos are gone now.
"For Turner Classic Movies, I'm Doris Day," for example.
Once TCM has these items, they're forever.
The hosts talking before and after the films are a one time thing.
If TCM wants to tighten their budget, there are other ways to entertain and inform us.
Ben Mankiewicz does some wonderful interviews with Julie Andrews.
They can play over and over.
I haven't watch "Julie" yet. It's on my DVR.
I have watched the wrap-around on the Internet by Eddie Muller.
I don't want to agitate the Noir Alley fans, but Eddie could do other things to talk about Noir.
All the hosts are loaded with knowledge, and it is being wasted, in my opinion, on talking about a movie (from cue cards).
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

I think it technically comes down to the contracts. The writers of the wrap-arounds are probably not required to be members of the Writers Guild of America, nor are the hosts members of the WGA or the Screen Actors Guild, so their work is not covered by the strike. Something akin to news reporters, in a way, their work is unchanged.

The decision to eliminate the outros was most likely someone’s idea of a cost-saving move. The same reason they were willing to give up the set that Dave and Alicia used to present their wrap-arounds, and the reason why so many were laid off at TCM. The Discovery company took on massive debt to purchase Warner so the primary focus has been to cut costs.

In my opinion these cuts were done with respect to TCM without much thought. Somebody probably said something like “I need each department to give me X% cuts by next quarter” without caring how they did it. When mergers are done it is typical to think there are duplicated jobs in the new company, so one of the duplicates has to go. My biased opinion of TCM is that they had many people who had been there for years who had unique knowledge of classic movies and what the channel was all about and were not just “redundant”. I hope this is also an argument the 3 directors made when they went to try to save TCM. We have heard that TCM’s vice-president of programming Charles Tabesh was brought back and I believe I read that the person that does the film festival was also brought back, so along with the outros some of the changes were reconsidered.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

I'm sure they have enough audio/video of Robert Osborne that they could just use AI to make new intros and outros presented by an animatronic Robert Osborne. :)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Fedya wrote: August 17th, 2023, 3:49 pm I'm sure they have enough audio/video of Robert Osborne that they could just use AI to make new intros and outros presented by an animatronic Robert Osborne. :)

LOL!!!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I'm just grateful for the mute button!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 17th, 2023, 7:36 pm I'm just grateful for the mute button!
If people feel like you do, including me, why does it continue?