WHEN DID THEY DROP THE OUTROS???

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ziggy6708a

Re: WHEN DID THEY DROP THE OUTROS???

Post by ziggy6708a »

Anyone notice, as of this AM, there seemed to be a return of a human announcer of segments coming up on TCM

Nice to see... :smilie_happy_thumbup: :smiley_clap:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

ziggy6708a wrote: November 6th, 2023, 6:49 pm Anyone notice, as of this AM, there seemed to be a return of a human announcer of segments coming up on TCM

Good news. Those are called continuity announcements. Very few US networks or TV stations have them these days, but they were ubiquitous in the old days, before ad-supported networks/stations needed to squeeze every last second to get in more ad time.

The most you'll typically see these days is an ID continuity, like James Earl Jones intoning "This is CNN!" MeTV also has an ID continuity in-between programs.

You still see them in the UK. Over there, they even had "in-vision" announcers, where you'd see them on screen in a little booth or studio. I'm not aware of any US network or broadcaster that did this - but there might have been one somewhere. There are lots of TV stations out there.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

ziggy6708a wrote: November 6th, 2023, 6:49 pm Anyone notice, as of this AM, there seemed to be a return of a human announcer of segments coming up on TCM

Noticed that too. It was an unexpected treat. Reminds me of what the channel used to be like when I first started watching.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I like the male announcer.
The female has been around for a long time.
I'm less fond of her.
I do like the addition.
I'm finally okay with the new music.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN outro: (I paraphrase) "Hollywood has its share of quirkiness but nothing quite like Clifton Webb and his mother. They were inseparable. She looked exactly like her son. They were extolled as one of the film industry's happiest couples"

I would normally prefer to light candles instead of cursing the darkness but whenever I un-mute and hear salacious, gossipy, totally inappropriate "filler" like the above (always by you-know-who) I am thoroughly disgusted!

Clifton Webb was a wonderful actor. Why a host would snark about his personal life (or anyone's) is just beyond me. It certainly doesn't enhance the television filmgoing experience for new, younger viewers. I'm not normally a fan of the "sensitive", "woke", p.c. stuff but all this People Magazine garbage gets my goat.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 24th, 2023, 6:24 pm CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN outro: (I paraphrase) "Hollywood has its share of quirkiness but nothing quite like Clifton Webb and his mother. They were inseparable. She looked exactly like her son. They were extolled as one of the film industry's happiest couples"

I would normally prefer to light candles instead of cursing the darkness but whenever I un-mute and hear salacious, gossipy, totally inappropriate "filler" like the above (always by you-know-who) I am thoroughly disgusted!

Clifton Webb was a wonderful actor. Why a host would snark about his personal life (or anyone's) is just beyond me. It certainly doesn't enhance the television filmgoing experience for new, younger viewers. I'm not normally a fan of the "sensitive", "woke", p.c. stuff but all this People Magazine garbage gets my goat.
As far as snark goes, with respect to Clifton Webb and his mother, it goes way back. He lived with his mother until the day she died. Upon her death, Noël Coward was said to have remarked "It must be terrible to be orphaned at 71." That's an entirely different level of snark!

Snark comes with the territory with that certain host. It won't change, but I think you know that already, given that you've had the mute button close at hand... :D
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I wish science could somehow re-animate Noel Coward as TCM's main host.

Now that would be the kind of sophisticated, old-school snark I'd be able to handle!

Yeah, me and the mute button, we have a contentious relationship, lol.